Keith Ashton - RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mick Dewsbury 27 Jan 2019

I have just received the sad news that Keith Ashton passed away last night. Many people here will have known Keith through his passionate guidebook work, others will simply have known Keith as the rock mad chap that he was.

Mick.

paul mitchell 27 Jan 2019
In reply to Mick Dewsbury:

As somebody said on FB,the nicest man in Glossop.

BlownAway 27 Jan 2019

Sad to hear that. I had a few days out with Keith and friends a number of years ago and his enthusiasm shone through. 

RIP Keith.

Offwidth 27 Jan 2019

A sad loss of a stalwart of moorland climbing guides. Condolences to family and friends.

mark s 27 Jan 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

Sad news. Climbed with him once a while ago whilst we were checking routes for a new guide on the high peak 

Was a great bloke 

ben b 27 Jan 2019

That's sad news. Was he Steve's brother (or did I make that up?).

R.I.P, Keith.

b

lummox 27 Jan 2019
In reply to ben b:

Such sad news about Keith. A hugely  enthusiastic, friendly bloke who loved climbing and the natural world.   He’ll be greatly missed.

flowerpot 27 Jan 2019

Good ol Keith. A proper hard working hard playing lad. A real down to earth person has left us and he will be greatly missed.

steveB 28 Jan 2019

Sad news, I got to know Keith some years ago through  work on the Moorland grit  guide - always enthusiastic and a real northern character too!

It's shocking news. I first heard of Keith throught the pages of Climber and Neil Foster's Rock Notes as some guy doing new routes on crags I'd never heard of. Time passed and I ended up teaching at a school in Glossop, and renting a house a few doors down from Keith. I still remember the first day I went round to meet him after a few random telephone calls and scribbled notes through doors (remember, this was the 90s). A quick brew turned into many, then a pint at The Crown (still only £2 a pint today) and then salt'n'pepper chips from next door. After that, we drank  Keith's remaining stock of Macallan. And then I appear to have agreed to take over wrtiting the moorland grit guide from him.

Without his influence I wouldn't have spent the years I have on those moors, and that book would never have seen the light of day.

Stu Tyrrell 30 Jan 2019

RIP Keith.

Loved his stories in High from about 20 years ago, my fav was when he had a dream of soloing Curved Arete on Tryfon, would like to read it again.

Very Sad 

Stu

paul mitchell 30 Jan 2019

Hello everyone. It's Hannah, Keith's Daughter, the celebration of my dad's life will be on Tuesday 12th February at Dukinfield Crem at 14.30 and then onto the Crystal Ballroom in Glossop (Opp Rail station). I'm sure we will see lots of you there to celebrate the amazing life of my Dad. We would like to kindly ask for no flowers but if you wish to make a gesture then donations for Willow Wood Hospice in my dad's name would be greatly appreciated. Also as most of you know my dad loved flowery shirts so if you could wear anything flowery that would be amazing. If you need any more details then please message me. Thank you Hannah

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...