John Syrett Documentary

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andy636363 06 Feb 2020

Hiya,

I am a student at the Northern Film School and am interested in telling the story of John Syrett and how important he was for the progression of climbing throughout the 70s and 80s. If there is anyone who has stories or knew him it would be great if they could share some information about him.

cheers

Doug 07 Feb 2020
In reply to andy636363:

If you search these forums you'll find several stories about him, some by people who climbed with him and who post here regularly.

Jon Read 07 Feb 2020
In reply to andy636363:

Get in touch with John Stainforth (he's a registered user here).

Sean_J 07 Feb 2020
In reply to andy636363:

There's a chapter in here about Leeds Uni, with several mentions of the man himself and those he climbed with:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slack-Fun-Climbing-Dennis-Gray/dp/1871890292

Mick Ward 07 Feb 2020
In reply to andy636363:

A literature search will reveal quite a bit written about John Syrett. The most comprehensive review of his climbing achievements is by Steve Dean. The relevant article is on the Footless Crow blogspot, I think. I can put you in touch with Steve, in any case.

Other essential people to interview would include John Stainforth, Gordon Stainforth (both on here, under their own names), Steve Webster (Webbo, on here), Dennis Gray (you can contact him via John Appleby, who runs the Footless Crow blogspot), Bernard Newman, Angela Faller and Jim Perrin. Perhaps the most important person to consult would be John Syrett's sister, Pauline. John and Gordon will probably be in contact with her. If need be, I can also put you in touch with her.

Doubtless other highly relevant people will come to mind. (Right now, I need another cup of coffee!)

You've chosen a very ambitious subject. There's a great film to be made but, to do it justice, it would probably involve an awful lot of hard work.

Good luck!

Mick

Greenbanks 07 Feb 2020
In reply to Mick Ward:

Agree with your last sentences. One of the (relatively) underrated rock-stars of his era, and something of an icon to those of us of a similar age at that time. I'd certainly pay good money to see his eploits and memory further enhanced. Thanks.

Flinticus 07 Feb 2020
In reply to andy636363:

Sounds good. 

I see you got one of those bizarre down votes for your post.  

OP andy636363 09 Feb 2020
In reply to andy636363:

Thanks for all the help much more response then we were expecting. We've made contact with a few of the names mentioned and they've been extremely helpful. We may get in contact with a few of you in the future.

cheers

In reply to andy636363:

As a still image, that of John Syrett on Encore on the cover of Mountain magazine was so bold &  inspirational. Anyone got a link to it?

Post edited at 19:53
Deadeye 09 Feb 2020
In reply to andy636363:

Hi

I can't offer anything more than encouragement - but, please, I hope you find a way to make this film.

My hope is that it is both unflinching yet hopeful.

In reply to GrantM:

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...