John Henry Quarry cleaned up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neilh 25 May 2020

Somebody has cleaned up John Henry Quarry and put stakes in at the top.Can I thank them. 

went yesterday afternoon with a couple of friends who had heard about it. Being cleaned .The E1 corner has been cleaned up thanks to this person and is excellent. Just as good as anything at Hobson Moor. The E3 crackline to the left looks superb.

Well worth a trip if you are local.

Mick Ward 25 May 2020
In reply to neilh:

Wow! That's impressive. I'd like to thank them too.

I've only been to John Henry once, in the '80s. Every crack seemed to sprout a fern - or two, or three, or more. It looked as though it would have been a pretty good crag minus the ferns.

And stakes in, as well. Some altruistic people out there.

Mick

OP neilh 26 May 2020
In reply to neilh:

13 likes. Some people have taste.  

In reply to neilh:

It’s been a lockdown team effort from a bunch of ex- Over the Moors guidebook types. New stakes, new pegs, new lower off, and a couple of new routes. Now is absolute time to get in there and enjoy what the crag has. 

Cragster (E3 5c) in the guide is now more like E2 5b and worth a star or two. Due to the state of the last 5/7 feet you’ll have to hang a rope over the top and use that as a lower off point. Highly recommended.

Thanks for posting this btw

OP neilh 27 May 2020
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Appreciate the work. I went a few years ago and thought it was the pits. Dragged along reluctantly and really enjoyed the E1 corner which has nicely cleaned up.

Considering it is next to the road I hope mor epeople go.

OP neilh 27 May 2020

Appreciate the work. I went a few years ago and thought it was the pits. Dragged along reluctantly and really enjoyed the E1 corner which has nicely cleaned up.

Considering it is next to the road I hope more people go.

Phil A 28 May 2020
In reply to neilh:

I was with Neilh. I'd like to add my thanks too for the clean up; great work. Inaddition,  the crag was a pleasant sun trap out of the wind. I can thoroughly recommend the E1 plus Crikey Crack. 

marktrik 29 May 2020
In reply to neilh:

I've often thought about climbing here but never got round to it, maybe it's the thought of a wasted day if we got there and it's in a grim condition and over grown.  But now its had a clean, anchor stakes and with the comments on this post, well it looks like I will pay it a visit.

Thanks.

marktrik 29 May 2020
In reply to neilh:

Link put on comments on crag listings on UKC.

In reply to neilh:

We went on Friday and found just what you said. Enjoyed the big corner. It  perhaps seems a bit soft in its present condition? We found Robbo's Crack harder (and still with a gritty "ledge" hold on the hard bit) 

OP neilh 31 May 2020
In reply to harold walmsley:

You are a lot taller than me so I would guess reaching between the break is easier!

In reply to harold walmsley:

Great. Did you get on Desperate Straights, Rated Steep or Cragster?

No, too hard for me I struggled to second "47 not out". More like "out for a duck" for me. Maybe next time? By the way can you unscramble routes 25 to 27? The lines aren't described and on the topo the lines have different numbers top and bottom (from left to right bottom first: 27 goes to 25, 25 goes to 26 26 goes to 27).

Alex@home 03 Jun 2020

Went there tonight. I did desperate straights. It was very good and clean enough. Felt hard for E2 but that's probably because this was my first trad session of the year. Watched my partner's 2 attempts at rated steep end after about 15ft and then at the junction with DS. It looked like hard work. He also had a go at cragster but backed off at the second break as it was too sandy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...