Ippikins Rock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pec 04 Jul 2020

Can anybody give me an idea if Ippikins Rock in Shropshire is worth a visit? It's not exactly near to me, about an hour and a half, but I often drive for that long to climb at obscure venues that many locals don't bother with.

If it's a complete pile of rubbish then I'll not bother but if there's enough routes in the Severe to E1 range that are mediocre or better then it could be worth a visit since, being somewhat out on a limb, the weather could be dry there when the whole of the Peak, Lancashire, Yorkshire etc are wet.

And on that note, how quickly does it dry out and does it seep much?

Thanks in advance.

Edit, is there a topo of it anywhere? I've got the 1988 guide (the one before last) but there's not much in it.

Post edited at 17:57
 petegunn 04 Jul 2020
In reply to pec:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/ippikins_rock-1067#feedback

In the comments section stanners thinks it worth visiting

TobyA 04 Jul 2020
In reply to pec:

I've been there a couple of times and enjoyed it. Plenty of routes in that range. I remember thinking the HVS that gets some stars was really decent, although me getting up an HVS is rare enough to always make me chuffed regardless of what the route is like. It's a beautiful part of the world so you can always go for a walk if you do a route or two and don't think much of it!

Andy Hemsted 04 Jul 2020
In reply to pec:

I've been there a number of times, partly because it's the closest crag to North Brum, and there's almost no walk-in. It's good for solo shunting, as top anchors are easy. The main area (HVS - E3) dries quickly, but the lefthand side (VDiff - VS) stays damp for a bit longer. It's a bit like a small sector of Symonds Yat.

Post edited at 22:13
 Bulls Crack 05 Jul 2020
In reply to Andy Hemsted:

And if you get bored you can always run around it three times widdershins to meet the man himself. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...