Interesting setup.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cwarby 14 Feb 2021

Mmm.

TobyA 14 Feb 2021
In reply to cwarby:

I once walked all the way up to the north face of the Cobbler's south peak before realising I had forgotten my harness. I did North Wall Traverse (IV 6) in a similar set up! I think I led Sesame Groove as well that time and that's the hard bit!

OP cwarby 14 Feb 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Am assuming you

a. Survived

b. Don't sing soprano

It's probably just unfortunate here it made the press, whereas you didn't.

Myfyr Tomos 14 Feb 2021
In reply to cwarby:

Is it a stone wall or embankment?

top cat 14 Feb 2021
In reply to cwarby:

....interesting foot work ......

wercat 14 Feb 2021
In reply to cwarby:

when I started with a club the people I climbed with were all interested in improvisation so we used to practice how to make an impromptu harness out of slings etc and how to abseil with limited equipment.

I did this off the in pin once and survived, no harness just a short sling and a long sling (waistcoat style crossed behind my back and clipped into a small sling figure of 8 style for the legs with a krab.  No hastle

or using a short sling as leg loops and rope coils to form a harness - people used to do this all the time

I can remember terrifying some people in Central gully using only the rope and a short sling as a harness leading the LH icefall (I'd just come down after soloing it so I felt reasonably happy - I'd met them by accident at the foot of the crag and offered to show them Central instead of Custs (as they climbed HVS  this seemed reasonable and a good time was had by all)

Post edited at 20:54
 Myfyr Tomos 14 Feb 2021
In reply to cwarby:

Ah, right. Some sort of embankment then...  😉

OP cwarby 14 Feb 2021
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Indeed!!

OP cwarby 14 Feb 2021
In reply to wercat:

I've never forgotten a harness, but remember how to utilise a sling. It's the fact that the knot and krab are all at the back that intrigued me. Accept the piccy doesn't give context.

DADAXYX#6707 14 Feb 2021
In reply to cwarby:

This pic belongs on Justbombergear ;D 

alan moore 15 Feb 2021
In reply to wercat:

> I did this off the in pin once and survived, no harness just a short sling and a long sling (waistcoat style crossed behind my back and clipped into a small sling figure of 8 style for the legs with a krab.  

Same. Did a lot of easy mountain routes before I bought a harness. Made one out of rope with leg loops and waist belt tied together at the front. Dare say people thought I was a loony at the time. (1988ish)

Bloke in the photo though: definitely something fishy going on there...

nniff 15 Feb 2021
In reply to cwarby:

I can picture the ebay advertisement - it would be something like 'rock climbing safety fall protection rappelling harness belt rope clip'

gethin_allen 15 Feb 2021
In reply to cwarby:

The wonder is why they didn't use the slings they have around their shoulder.

The whole thing looks like a generally shonky setup.

Niall_H 15 Feb 2021
In reply to cwarby:

> Kinder downfall

At least that answers the question about whether it's in nick yet

dannyboy83 Global Crag Moderator 15 Feb 2021
In reply to cwarby:

I was up for just the classic style bowline round the waist but my buddy crafted the Thompson knot harness...probably not best served for leading but seemed to be absolutely fine for seconding. This was by far one of the least sketchiest scenes of the day!

mrphilipoldham 15 Feb 2021
In reply to cwarby:

There's a pic of a chap seconding it with a full rack of wires, cams and hexes too. Why?! 

OP cwarby 15 Feb 2021
In reply to Niall_H:

Well, I suppose you had to find a positive....Hope its local to you.

Blue Straggler 15 Feb 2021
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

I think "setup" is the key word here. 

How did a pro (local syndicated?) press photographer just happen to be passing by, with his own crampons? 

Dark-Cloud 15 Feb 2021

What on earth is happening in photo 3 of 8 on the linked page with ropes I have no idea, also the guy in the red jacket appears to be aching for a face full of crampon!

deepsoup 15 Feb 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

>  pro (local syndicated?) press photographer

Staff photographer with the Press Association, based in Leeds.

https://www.facebook.com/DannyLawPhoto
https://twitter.com/DannyLawPhoto

> just happen to be passing by

Obviously not.  A work trip to get some saleable pics, though I'm sure one of the Sheffield massive would have been happy to chuck him a toprope if he was on his tod.  (<- Blatant troll, ha ha, soz.)

Sean Kelly 15 Feb 2021
In reply to cwarby:

Much better nick in '79 when it was totally plastered in neve/ice. Ah, the good old days!

Niall_H 15 Feb 2021
In reply to cwarby:

> Hope its local to you

I wish!  Sadly, my local spots are artificial and never hold more than a dusting of snow.

Jake Young 15 Feb 2021
In reply to cwarby:

What a Punter!

mrphilipoldham 15 Feb 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I walked/waded in with PA’s Pete Byrne, a friend and professional colleague, during the beast from the east. Danny had it easy by the looks of things. Pics ended up on pretty much every nationals front page and local news websites going that year. Don’t underestimate how well connected they are Still regret not telling him to do one and syndicate the pics myself but not every day is a work day!

TheGeneralist 15 Feb 2021
In reply to wercat:

> I did this off the in pin once and survived, no harness just a short sling and a long sling (waistcoat style crossed behind my back and clipped into a small sling figure of 8 style for the legs with a krab.  

Agreed. When I did the ridge I used two tape slings as a harness as it was much lighter. Fine for the abseils .

jimtitt 15 Feb 2021
In reply to TheGeneralist:

It's luxury anyway, alloy krab and kernmantle rope.

OP cwarby 15 Feb 2021

But if you look at 8of8, he seems well prepared for such a long route with a Nalgene bottle strapped to his harness. 

Babika 15 Feb 2021
In reply to top cat:

> ....interesting foot work ......

Looks like a rock climber who just happened to bung a pair of crampons on

In reply to Babika:

This is an entertaining watch...

youtube.com/watch?v=Sbs41r2f9Ag&

Frank R. 15 Feb 2021
In reply to wercat:

Try that with modern 8mm dyneema alpine slings, about as much fun as a Dülfersitz abseil on modern thin ropes

Brown 15 Feb 2021

I might have been passing and observed one chap falling off on a loose toprope leaving both his ice axes stuck half way up the icefall. He was left standing back on the ground without them.

I'm not sure how he resolved that situation but shortly after he had made it back up to his tools and then his crampons fell off.

Basically a good time was being enjoyed by all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...