Intake Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Suncream 12 Jul 2020

Intake Quarry

Formally no access, and warnings on BMC and old UKC posts suggest it's dangerous. And yet there are people logging routes at Intake regularly, and there are various lines that appeal to me.

Is Intake Quarry a death trap? Should I go for a different nearby quarry instead?

phil64 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Suncream:

> Is Intake Quarry a death trap? Should I go for a different nearby quarry instead?

Yes  it is,  the best thing for you to do is rip that section out of your guidebook, thereby eliminating any temptation for ever going there.

OP Suncream 13 Jul 2020
In reply to phil64:

I genuinely can't tell if you're joking. I'm also not sure what the thumbs downs are for.

I'd just like to know whether people think Intake's  significantly more prone to collapse than Slaley Brook, Colehill, Lorry Park etc.

Stoney Boy 13 Jul 2020
In reply to Suncream:

The last figures released for callopseability were;

Intake 95%

Slaley 85 %

Colehill 50%

Lorry Park 5%

Hope that helps.

In reply to Suncream:

Climbing has never been allowed at Intake and about 15 years ago the owners were quite active at trying to keep climbers out. Since then though people have started re-visiting it and this includes plenty of non-climbers as well. 

The lifting of lockdown has focussed a lot of attention on Peak Sport quarries with Horseshoe, Harpur Hill and Masson Lees being busier than ever. Intake too has seen a  lot of attention which is why the access message has been reinforced recently.

There was a major rockfall a few years ago in one corner of the quarry although, like most of these rockfalls, it occurred during winter storms. There is still some loose rock but most of the sections with routes on are about as stable as other quarries. 

Alan

ebdon 13 Jul 2020
In reply to Suncream:

I visited intake for the first time last week (despite being peak based i have an allergy to limestone quarries I'm trying to overcome) Tarmac are pretty clear access is not given but if you're willing to ignore them i found Intake pretty similar to other similar venues, there were some lovely clean solid climbs, some utter deathtraps, and everything in between.

I might even go back soon ish, some of the trad looked good.

TobyA 13 Jul 2020
In reply to Suncream:

I visited last summer. The chap I went with is a really competent climber and had done one of the big E2s on the back wall and wanted now to try a big E3 nearby. It's the part of quarry that the BMC says something poetic about it, like it being an inland version of the great Pembroke cliffs or whatever! 

Roger was doing a fine job powering up. He had climbed a slightly dubious crack/corner system, clipped some insitu gear, placed lots of his own gear. He got up to a pretty compact, solid looking wall that seemed to after maybe about five or six metres give way to some easier looking cracks to the top - I reckon he was probably about 18 to 20 mtrs up. Anyway, he was styling up this compact wall section, not real gear to put in, but the rock looked solid, when he just pulled a big edge off that both hands were on. I held the fall fine - but he went effing miles! If I remember correctly his highest gear which he had been a bit sceptical about pulled. When I lowered him down I think I was shaking with adrenaline more than he was, and I hadn't been logging up the air miles! 

We then spent a comedy hour trying to find how to scramble up on to the top to get ab down and retrieve the runners. We kept getting stuck in impenetrable brambles and nettles trying to find a way up. I eventually found a loose and vegetated scramble up - I should probably claim a FA because I reckon it was about diff, sort of like 20 mtrs of the worst tottery limestone ridge you've been on in the Alps transferred to Derbyshire and given its own nettle beds. Up at the top you can see these massive cracks where bits of the main wall are obviously separating slowly from the rest of Derbyshire! They really reminded me of crevasses forming as seracs get ready to fall down an icefall. It all felt a lot more "dynamic" an environment then you normally get outside of the high mountains, although some people say those cracks have been there for decades and don't seem to be getting bigger.

There are no good belays above the main wall so we had to tie two 50 mtrs ropes together to get them back to some bush in the brambles along way back that seemed like the strongest thing to ab off. Roger went down on the single rope and got his gear out, I released the ropes and climbed over a fence into a field and went for a jog for a km or so to get back to the quarry entrance to avoid needing to try and down scramble the sh*t we had come up! At that point it was getting dark so we left, me not actually having climbed anything. I haven't been back since, although I may go purely to try some of the easier sports routes there that don't involve topping out or going near the terrifying main wall.  

remus Global Crag Moderator 13 Jul 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Sounds like a great quarry experience!

I had a couple of fun days at Intake a few months ago (maybe I just have low standards?). I thought Abide With Me (E3 5c) was ace, and seconded Big Moose (E2 5b) which was also decent. Having said that I think the good stuff is pretty sparse given the size of the quarry. Perhaps go with low expectations, then you can only be pleasantly surprised if you do something good.

Post edited at 18:56
 ebdon 13 Jul 2020
In reply to TobyA:

You're not inspiring me Toby...

TobyA 13 Jul 2020
In reply to ebdon:

Looking at the app now, I think it was Ho Hum (E3 5c) that Roger got big air off!

That back wall is an impressive place, I'm just too scared to climb there!

OP Suncream 16 Jul 2020

Cheers for everyone's replies, serious or not.

Went to intake today. Doesn't seem like a deathtrap, though my partner certainly managed to knock some stuff down on my helmet. Really nice quarry, plenty to go around between us and the other group there today.

First 7a RP and the mythical E3 onsight is getting closer.

spenser 16 Jul 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Next time you go hop on El Sergio, it's legitimately good climbing. The left hand finish involves a desparately sharp handjam if that is your kind of thing too!

Bob Bennett 17 Jul 2020
In reply to Suncream:

As a regular visitor to Intake some years ago when living in Derbyshire, we used to walk around the top inspecting the cracks there to check if they were getting bigger! There used to be adequate belays above the back wall but Tarmac removed them some years ago. nevertheless there are some striking lines in the quarry especially on the back wall and the Dark Side (summer) which are well worth a visit.

LJH 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Bob Bennett:

I wouldn't go to any of those quarries up around the Matlock area to be honest. Shocking place's.

Saw a 🐻 (no smile) in one the other day. They are making a comeback since lockdown, so best stay away.

Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 18 Jul 2020
In reply to LJH:

What, an "if you go down to the Matlock quarries today, you're sure of a big surprise" type of 🐻...?

Post edited at 10:09
 steveb2006 21 Jul 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Best E3 in the quarry is Big Thing Coming - pretty excellent really - well in top half anyway.

Re El Segio - nice upper runnel but the lower half is a bit of ramble.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...