IFSC Membership - a few questions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wire Shark 05 Jan 2021

I have a few questions that I thought a few UKC people might have insight on with regards various aspects of the IFSC federation membership.

To join the IFSC as a national federation, do you have to pay them money, or do you get money back from them, or is it neutral agreement in pecuniary terms?

According to the IFSC website, a member federation should:

• be organised with bye-laws acceptable to IFSC;
  • be open to participation without regard to race, colour, religion, national origin
  • be controlled by its members according to democratic principles.

If a current member can be demonstrated to not meet one or more of these criteria, would the IFSC care, and if so what action might they take?

I thank you.

JLS 05 Jan 2021
In reply to Wire Shark:

I may be jumping to the wrong conclusions here, but it sounds like you are hoping to get Shauna thrown out of the Olympics because of some beef you have with BMC governance.

Offwidth 05 Jan 2021
In reply to JLS:

Indeed. Anyone who is serious about such questions could easily find the answer (including any funding for Shauna in Tokyo completely bypassing the BMC).

Anyone remember what this very distinctive user profile used to be named as I've forgotten?

OP Wire Shark 05 Jan 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

WTF are you talking about?  It's in connection with another nation several thousand miles away from the UK, with absolutely no-one involved in the Olympics.  Intrigued on how I could get Shauna kicked out though, as I'm struggling with that one.  If you think the profile has had another name (which it hasn't) then it's easy enough to check.  You can find name changes by searching the forums for "Lewis Hamilton" (for eg), focussing on older messages.  Name changes show up because whilst comments made by a user have their new name associated with them, any replies to their comments have their old names shown as the string.  You'll find no such instances against this user name.

I have a genuine reason for asking this question.  Feel free to message me if you're really interested.  It's not something I'm inclined to go into specifics on here.

Ian W 05 Jan 2021
In reply to Wire Shark:

> I have a few questions that I thought a few UKC people might have insight on with regards various aspects of the IFSC federation membership.

> To join the IFSC as a national federation, do you have to pay them money, or do you get money back from them, or is it neutral agreement in pecuniary terms?

> According to the IFSC website, a member federation should:

> be organised with bye-laws acceptable to IFSC;

> be open to participation without regard to race, colour, religion, national origin

> be controlled by its members according to democratic principles.

> If a current member can be demonstrated to not meet one or more of these criteria, would the IFSC care, and if so what action might they take?

> I thank you.

You pay them money.

The best people to ask would be the IFSC; its all on their website. Otherwise message Graeme Alderson, he's in the best position of anyone on UKC to answer.

Or ring up the IFSC; good english spoken, and then you dont have to have your motives for asking on here questioned.

OP Wire Shark 05 Jan 2021
In reply to Ian W:

Don't think I'll be ringing up the IFSC, as I don't (yet) want to get the organisation in question in trouble - at least until I fully understand the politics.  Might drop Graham a line though.  Thanks.

Offwidth 05 Jan 2021
In reply to Wire Shark:

Why the dumb joke profile if you are serious poster interested in serious answers? The part which was identical to another profile was M, D, crumbly rubbish. If you just happen to have the same sense of humour as another poster asking suspicious leading questions around competition climbing I apologise. We have had a lot of dodgy posters crop up on UKC in the last year wrt to covid especially but also sometimes BMC matters. 

In reply to Wire Shark:

If you spell my name incorrectly you will definately not get an answer. You might not get one anyway.

Also aren't you now Sir Lewis Hamilton?

OP Wire Shark 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

> Why the dumb joke profile if you are serious poster interested in serious answers? The part which was identical to another profile was M, D, crumbly rubbish. If you just happen to have the same sense of humour as another poster asking suspicious leading questions around competition climbing I apologise. We have had a lot of dodgy posters crop up on UKC in the last year wrt to covid especially but also sometimes BMC matters. 

Again, I have no idea who or what you are or why my inquiry has stirred your ire, or why they might lead to Shauna being disbarred from the Olympics (I mean, really??). Buggered if I know why you're banging on about the BMC. If you find my questions funny (?) then you must have an odd sense of humor.  You've not taken up my invitation to message me, so I'm thinking you've got little better going on in your life than to troll people. 

OP Wire Shark 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

> If you spell my name incorrectly you will definately not get an answer. You might not get one anyway.

OK - looks like there's no point in contacting you then.  Shame, as I do have a genuine issue to discuss.

Apologies for not spelling your name correctly, Graeme. 

Offwidth 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Wire Shark:

I never said anything about Shauna except her finance is not through the BMC. My "indeed" related to the odd way you posted this indicated you might be the latest poster with a sudden beef about IFSC related BMC governance (given a fuss has been going on for over a decade and we had many problems a few years back around a Motion of no Confidence in the BMC related to that subject). I did look at your posting history and profile (partly as I might have been able to help)... but didn't check internal replies were consistent (also slightly odd you would know that).

Post edited at 08:23
 john arran 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

> also slightly odd you would know that

Indeed.

Fellover 06 Jan 2021
In reply to john arran:

> > also slightly odd you would know that

> Indeed.

I barely post on here but I know that, doesn't seem like a wildly unreasonable thing to know. It's fairly obvious (imho...) that replies are simply plaintext that won't change over time, so any usernames included within replies are also plaintext which won't change when a username is updated. I feel like plaintext is probably not the correct terminology, but not sure what else to use.

Offwidth 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Fellover:

Since when was 'a little odd' equivalent to 'wildly unreasonable'. This site has seen many examples of posters using multiple profiles and at least one where one profile was used by more than one person and a lot of bot like misuse on covid. Genuine posters get some amazing help here all the time online and offline (through messages). If someone wants help its best to have a non joke profile and to be polite and not to get immediately annoyed with the people best able to provide the likely he!p they need. Formal routes always existed to contact the IFSC with no public fuss (and the UK individual links to the IFSC on various issues). This looked like troll style shit stirring.

Fellover 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

> Since when was 'a little odd' equivalent to 'wildly unreasonable'.

Good point, I shouldn't have said wildly unreasonable, please excuse my use of unnecessarily flowery language which didn't actually communicate what I was thinking. To me knowing doesn't seem in the slightest odd. Bringing up the idea that knowing it is odd seems far more odd to me! Of course maybe far more people agree with you that it is odd, I just thought it was a bit of an unfair thing to say in a negative way (my interpretation that it was negative, apologies if it wasn't) about another poster. Anyway, I only brought it up because I thought that you mentioning it being odd was rather odd and I didn't particularly think this was an obvious troll OP, so it felt a bit unfair. Rather irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

> Genuine posters get some amazing help here all the time online and offline (through messages).

At least we agree on some things Have a nice day.

Dave Todd 08 Jan 2021
In reply to Fellover:

> replies are simply plaintext that won't change over time, so any usernames included within replies are also plaintext which won't change when a username is updated

Are you sure that's still the case?  I know this used to be correct, but I don't think it is any more.  I've just been looking at a couple of TWS / Chive Talkin threads and the replies (which would have originally said 'TWS') now say 'Chive Talkin'.  I'm interested to know if this is just my dodgy memory of 'how it used to work'...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...