Iconic route added to logbooks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 johnl 02 Feb 2020

The North Face (XS)

I'm sure someone on here could log the second ascent.

For those not familiar with the classic film of the first ascent: https://rockandice.com/videos/climbing/climbing-the-north-face-of-the-uxbri...

In reply to johnl:

I remember seeing this at the time when I wasn't a climber, but still thought it was brilliant. I also recall that a Chouinard Catalogue of the 70's featured a similar spoof based on the factory's back yard. I can't find it on Google but I think it was the inspiration for the Baggy Point climb Chouinard's Yard.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Feb 2020
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

"traversing off the dog's leg"

Chris

Reach>Talent 02 Feb 2020
In reply to johnl:

Anyone hoping to repeat this route shouldn't rely on the footage of the first ascent for beta. The subsequent resurfacing works have made the route much more serious and I believe that the post box may have also succumbed to a road accident some years ago. 

pasbury 02 Feb 2020
In reply to Reach>Talent:

I love slab routes though especially when they're at 0 degrees.

DerwentDiluted 02 Feb 2020
In reply to johnl:

I think I did this in about 1989. Hands free.

pasbury 02 Feb 2020
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

I’ve got a vague recollection of falling the whole length of this route when I was at Brunel in 1995, bloody miracle I survived.

althesin 02 Feb 2020
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

A winter ascent can be quite tricky, I don't like to spray beta but there's a fridge sized block in Iceland that will take a tied off screw which gets you up to the bollard on the crossing and then a thread in the stormdrain grating if you clear the snow off.

Last year the route was ruined by gritters, let's hope that a bit of post Brexit austerity brings better condition for 2020.

Prof. Outdoors 04 Feb 2020
In reply to johnl:

The North Face of the Uxbridge Road is indeed an iconic climb. It was also a seminal point in the breaking of the class barrier for mountaineering and climbing. The strong northern accent of Bert, the expedition leader, can clearly be heard. The route was a rebellion against Victorian alpinism and traditional upper class climbing methodology which placed the emphasis on the gaining of altitude.

Indeed, some people say that this route inspired a duo of working class rock climbers to cut their teeth on Salford High Street and Ardwick Main Road.

More grit to their soul, I say.

Post edited at 19:41

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...