"I just belayed/watched"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JendeHoxar 13 Sep 2022

When my partner logs his big lead in his logbook, I get a link to review missing ascents for my logbook. Is it just me, or does anyone else feel a bit bothered when they click the "I just belayed/watched" button when reviewing logbook ascents? I don't think there's anything "just" about belaying. Sometimes I've held a rope for a flipping long time, whilst paying attention to my partner's safety, making encouraging noises and generally being almost as focused on his climbing as he is. Without a belayer he wouldn't have been able to climb his route. So I didn't "just" belay. I belayed. And I'm proud of it!

tehmarks 13 Sep 2022
In reply to JendeHoxar:

You seem to be looking for outrage where none exists? It obviously means 'just belayed' in the context of 'I just belayed; I did not climb the route and therefore have nothing to add to my logbook'.

Hooo 13 Sep 2022
In reply to JendeHoxar:

You could have a go at the first move, then you can log it as 2nd DNF

Jon Read 13 Sep 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

I think it's the use of 'just' that the OP is taking 'Umbridge' with. Why not "I belayed/watched". I've been in circumstances where watching was probably a more unpleasant experience than leading!

[edit, typo]

Post edited at 21:21
 mrjonathanr 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Jon Read:

Don’t take umbrage, take Dolores?

JLS 13 Sep 2022
In reply to JendeHoxar:

I can’t say I’m all that bothered by the wording but I wish the “reminder” just wouldn’t appear at all. If it climbed it, I’ve already logged it.

Moacs 13 Sep 2022
In reply to mrjonathanr:

Don't go to Umbridge; go to Ambrage and watch the Archirs

Misha 14 Sep 2022
In reply to JendeHoxar:

I’m bemused that belayed and watched seem to be equivalent. Might as well add ‘was at the crag on the same day’.

Petrafied 14 Sep 2022
In reply to Misha:

I think there should be more options than "watched" as the secondary verb.  From my own experience I'd like:

- belayed/heckled

- belayed/got pulled up 3m when the fat oaf fell off

-belayed/got bored, tied them off, went and had a cup of tea

Amongst others.

Of course you often can't watch (can't see them) or choose not to (don't want to blow your own onsight attempt).

Post edited at 05:23
In reply to tehmarks:

You seem to be condescending where there's no need? Let the lass have her rant without belittling her. I think she's right, there's no need for the word "just", belaying is an important part of everyones climbing partnership, unless your soloing everything. 

In reply to JendeHoxar:

If I haven't climbed a route I wouldn't record it anyway.

In reply to Misha:

> I’m bemused that belayed and watched seem to be equivalent. Might as well add ‘was at the crag on the same day’.

It’ll be because some people do add multiple partners who were there when they climbed the route, and I doubt they had 3 belayers for a 20m sport route. 

Clwyd Chris 14 Sep 2022
In reply to JendeHoxar:

Great, it's not just me. I've been raging ever since I noticed this ! 

cathsullivan 14 Sep 2022
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> If I haven't climbed a route I wouldn't record it anyway.

If you click 'belayed/watched' then it means that your name stays in their logbook as the person who they were with when they did the route. But it doesn't go into your logbook. If you click on 'error' (or whatever it is), it removes your name from their logbook entry. I guess people often want to record who they did a route with even if that person was belaying rather than also climbing the route. If you click 'belayed' it does them the kindness of allowing them to record this but has no effect at all on your logbook. 

ETA, I think I'd also have a mild preference for the 'just' being removed.  It has no benefit and I can see the arguement that it's better to acknolwedge the importance of belaying.

Post edited at 09:15
 gravy 14 Sep 2022
In reply to JendeHoxar:

You're being a bit over sensitive but by all means reverse log the same climbs and whinge about their poor style if it really gets to you!

By way of explanation: log books are used by many people for different purposes, so, for instance, I simply like to record what I've done but some people use them for more serious purposes such as evidence collecting for various training schemes and (at the more "senior" levels) these can demand a record of witnesses, belayers or partners. I'd guess this facility is there for that purpose (and I guess that purpose is to discourage people from making the stuff up in their log books when they submit evidence for these schemes).

I wasn't aware of this facility myself but now I've found it I will be using it to annoy my climbing partners.

In reply to cathsullivan:

Aye that's what I thought. It doesn't really matter that much either way.

C Witter 14 Sep 2022
In reply to mrjonathanr:

> Don’t take umbrage, take Dolores?

I would rather mere offence than pain.

Ramon Marin 14 Sep 2022
In reply to JendeHoxar:

Hi Jen, I've witness some of your outstanding belaying when Flavio was taking massive lobs on Yellow Pearls just skimming the ground. If anyone can claim of an E5 belay that's you, and part of Flavio success is down to you, belayers can be a massive part of doing a route. The UKC log description doesn't reflect that perhaps, and I wouldn't read too much into it. You have a legendary status amongst us who witnessed that crazy week in Pembroke a few years back, you know what I'm taking about... so don't worry too much about how UKC logbooks reflect on your climbing. 

OP JendeHoxar 14 Sep 2022
In reply to Boris's Johnson:

Thank you for this - for understanding what I was trying to say! It was meant to be a bit of a light-hearted rant, but I don't post to forums very often and it's so difficult to get the tone right when writing!

OP JendeHoxar 14 Sep 2022
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Thanks Ramon for those lovely words - really made me smile. We're just coming to the end of an amazing trip and Flavio has climbed some of the onsights of his life - and I'm happy to have been part of that!

David Coley 14 Sep 2022
In reply to JendeHoxar:

If you aren't belaying to, you're just climbing.

If you haven't seen the film Almost Alpine, then you MUST! 

peppermill 14 Sep 2022
In reply to Jon Read:

> I think it's the use of 'just' that the OP is taking 'Umbridge' with. Why not "I belayed/watched". I've been in circumstances where watching was probably a more unpleasant experience than leading!

> [edit, typo]

Yes agreed. Had some harrowing belaying experiences.

Leader on a bold pitch and struggling with questionable anchors because it's all there is etc etc

Ramon Marin 14 Sep 2022
In reply to JendeHoxar:

I don’t want to post here what was going during that week as you’ll get lots of negative comments perhaps, but that was some committed belaying and I don’t know anybody else who would be willing, or be crazy enough, to sign up to a week’s climbing considering the situation. So, good on you and carry on as you are. And I’m sure Flavio agrees with me

UKB Shark 15 Sep 2022
In reply to JLS:

> I can’t say I’m all that bothered by the wording but I wish the “reminder” just wouldn’t appear at all. 

I’m bothered by your unnecessary use of the use of the word ‘just’. It’s not justifiable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...