Howling Ridge on Carrauntoohil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bowls 27 Jun 2018

For those who have done it how does it compare to the big easy routes/hard scrambles on the UK mainland.  For example -Tower Ridge/Curved Ridge/Pinnacle Rib on Tryfan/Cwyfry Arete on Cadar Idris

Is it an exposed lose scramble or does it have the feel of a commiting technical climb on it.

Thanks in Advance

In reply to bowls:

It's similar in feel to Tower Ridge - lots of easy but exposed scrambling ground, and some steeper bits where a low grade climber would want a rope. There are no definite cruxes, nothing as knee trembly as Tower Gap for instance, but as an overall outing I think it deserves its VDiff to Tower Ridge's Diff. For the most part the rock is decent, better than on Cyfrwy Arete for instance. It definitely feels like an easy climb overall rather than a hard scramble, and committing in the sense that the only obvious way off is back down it or up over the top. 

In terms of quality, it's easily as good as any comparable route in Britain 

OP bowls 28 Jun 2018
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks Dan, will need to hire a guide then as is beyond my soloing ability.  Am out there for family holiday but hoping to sneak away.  Think I will get up early and yomp/run round the Coumloogra (sp?!) horseshoe instead which I am told is a fine outing on ridges with a little easy scrambling.

Billhook 28 Jun 2018
In reply to bowls:

Its pretty simple.  There are a few short steep bits, but most can be avoided and it becomes progressively easier as you get further up.  I took my Spanish grandson up it when he was about 10 or 11 and he'd done absolutely no climbing ever.  I did rope him up though.  There's nothing technical at all.

I'm not sure guides are easy to come by in Eire, but it was ten years since I lived there. In my view the hardest part was finding the start at Heavenly  Gates.

Post edited at 20:11

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...