How midgie is it in the Peak?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ebdon 21 Jul 2020

Was considering heading to Birchen tomorrow evening but the forcast looks like prime midge weather, anybody been out recently? My head says I should head out for some fingery limestone horror show but my heart craves grit...

deacondeacon 21 Jul 2020
In reply to ebdon:

Higgar Tor tends to get a little more breeze than the edges, or Wharncliffe is defo a little more midgie friendly than than the main Eastern grit area. 

mrphilipoldham 21 Jul 2020
In reply to ebdon:

Barely noticed any at all so far, and I’m quite well travelled on the grit at the mo!

Kevster 21 Jul 2020
In reply to ebdon:

The other weekend, there were quite a lot in the evening, however I didn't think they were feasting on me. Just hanging around and being in your face. No blotches or itching however. 

Daytime was ok, but it was breezy at the crag. 

and let's not forget that there are lots of people out and about. Possibly more of an issue than the midges...

ChrisJD 21 Jul 2020
In reply to ebdon:

We've been midged quite badly already this year out MTBing in the Dark Peak when no wind and/or in trees.

e.g Stanage Pole/Redmires and Ladybower area

But not at 'run off screaming levels' yet. 

OP ebdon 21 Jul 2020
In reply to ChrisJD:

Cheers all think I will make a snap decision tomorrow of soulless cranking at the P vs glorious gritstone highballing

EarlyBird 21 Jul 2020
In reply to ebdon:

Yarncliffe was getting annoyingly midgey yesterday evening. 

ChrisBrooke 22 Jul 2020
In reply to ebdon:

I mostly climb in the evenings when it’s cooler. The wind does often tend to drop then stop as sunset approaches. Then it’s midge o’clock. As long as there’s a breeze it’s been fine. 

peppermill 22 Jul 2020
In reply to ebdon:

Just do what we do "North of the Wall"

Buy a headnet, embrace the beekeeper look and get on with it ;p

timparkin 22 Jul 2020
In reply to ebdon:

Make yourself some of these... 

http://static.timparkin.co.uk/static/tmp/netspex-homemade.jpg

Bolle SLAPSI + Smidge headnet + tent seam sealer...   Climbing in Polldubh when you can't see your hands was actually  enjoyable. Without the glasses you can't see the rock properly.

kipper12 22 Jul 2020
In reply to ebdon:

Not sure about Peak, but Anglezark was midge central last night.  So bad we had to bail!

MacaronMatt 22 Jul 2020
In reply to ebdon:

Eaten alive at Harpur hill last night.

OP ebdon 22 Jul 2020
In reply to ebdon:

Hmmm, looks to be perfect midge weather tonight now, overcast still and humid. The weather this summer is doing my head in.

mickyv33 22 Jul 2020
In reply to ebdon:

Rivelin is a complete write-off in the evening due to the midges. 

mark s 22 Jul 2020
In reply to ebdon:

Get some deet

West side its as crucial as boots and chalk at the moment 

TobyA 22 Jul 2020
In reply to ebdon:

It all depends on the wind. A very slight breeze and you'll be absolutely fine. The breeze drops and it can become midge hell very quickly. I was climbing on broken buttress at stanage last night. There wasn't much wind and when we got there air and straight away midges were around. At the top there was a decent breeze and no problem at all. Mid evening the clouds cleared and the sun came out but the wind dropped totally and I had to put insect repellent on for the first time this year. That was enough to get our last route done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...