High Tor Abseil Tree 🪦

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Arkle 16 Nov 2022

The tree used for abseiling back down off High Tor has a big splodge of paint on it.

In common with other nearby marked trees, it is an ash tree and I assume they are marked for felling.

This is a shame as its convenient and reasonably healthy.

Post edited at 22:02

Simon King 16 Nov 2022
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Noticed that a few weeks ago. Considering all the trees in the vacinity look like they're for the chop(!) I was wondering what the future holds re: belays... Is the obvious option at the top of Original Route/Supersonic?

Misha 16 Nov 2022
In reply to Dan Arkle:

That’s a shame. Better than it giving out on someone one day… Would need some stakes if all the trees are for the chop. Seem to recall one of the trees is already dead, the others seem healthy. If a convenient bolted abseil could be placed, I’d be all for that. That tree was just so handy and the abseil was spectacular. 

Ramon Marin 16 Nov 2022
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I think that dot means that the surveyors suspect to be infected by Ash Dieback (if indeed that’s an ash, which I don’t). If that’s the case, it’s far better that it’s felled than it gives away when abseiling. There was a big healthy looking ash at Crag y biceps that just came down without a warning. I went to chop it up and you can see the rotting inside, it was a matter of time that it would come down. 

UKB Shark 16 Nov 2022
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Yes all have been marked by the Council for felling which are the current belay points for Darius and routes to the left. John Fullwood the BMC access rep is in touch with the Council for further details.

Stoney Boy 17 Nov 2022
In reply to UKB Shark:

Same at Pic Tor. 

Michael Hood 17 Nov 2022
In reply to Dan Arkle:

It is actually possible to walk round and down (shock, horror).

I think the belay options is the more important consideration.

Stakes unlikely since (unless things have changed) the paying public can wander around the top and trip hazards wouldn't be such a great idea.

TobyA 17 Nov 2022
In reply to Michael Hood:

It was discussed at the last BMC area meeting, and I think the outcome was that everyone should wait for the BMC access reps to meet the council people. I think there was a plan for that to go ahead. It's a couple of weeks back now so I don't remember exactly the details, but I think there was a discussion about alternative belays available, and if in the long term some bolted anchors might be the solution - but that was just a suggestion for future consideration. It will be in the minutes I'm sure.

UKB Shark 17 Nov 2022
In reply to TobyA:

> It will be in the minutes I'm sure.

Minutes only get published just before the next meeting which is a PITA if you missed the meeting and want to find out what was discussed

Mark Kemball 17 Nov 2022
In reply to UKB Shark:

?? Minutes are supposed to be published within two weeks of an area meeting. 

UKB Shark 17 Nov 2022
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Hardly unique to the Peak. There is a culture of late minute publishing at the BMC. Board and CCPG minutes have months! behind for the last couple of years (NC much better). I can’t be arsed to check any more so don’t know if they’ve all caught up now. 

Mark Kemball 17 Nov 2022
In reply to UKB Shark:

I’ve been pushing to get the SW areas minutes out on time...

Holdtickler 17 Nov 2022
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Glad to hear experts are on the case. Can't help thinking we are going to need to take this a bit more seriously in Lancashire at some point...

Jus 20 Nov 2022
In reply to Dan Arkle:

time for some bolt belays & an ab station?

UKB Shark 20 Nov 2022
In reply to Jus:

How about a Verdon style metal fence? Ticks the Health and Safety box for Derbyshire Dales too.

Mike_Hayes 21 Nov 2022
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I noticed this yesterday, Dan.

It will need resolving by the BMC.

Regarding stakes and the public: Pembroke seems to accommodate stakes along public cliff edges. Bolts would be tidier if the rock behind the tree allows. 

Mike

Graeme Hammond 21 Nov 2022
In reply to Mike_Hayes:

The BMC are already on the case as per previous relies to this thread. As far as I remember at the last peak area meeting the access officer reported that an onsight meeting with the council had been requested. This would look into alternative options such as a bolted belay to replace the belay & abseil trees and potetially stakes elsewhere.

Jimp97 21 Nov 2022
In reply to Dan Arkle:

it could have dieback

Misha 21 Nov 2022
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

> As far as I remember at the last peak area meeting the access officer reported that an onsight meeting with the council had been requested.

Grade to hear. Wouldn’t want any headpointing at High Tor  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...