Haslingden Tor, what's this all about?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 11 Jan 2021

I have spotted this in the logbooks https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/haslingden_tor-23848#maps looking to take up Mareks crap crag challenge, and I do not believe there is anything there.  I have pretty much checked every rotting piece of rock in the area walking my dog and cannot believe I have missed something just there. 
I intend walking up and checking it out, but wondered if anyone has ever been.

gravy 11 Jan 2021
 joeramsay 11 Jan 2021
In reply to gravy:

Unfortunately it's quite good!

LakesWinter 11 Jan 2021
In reply to gravy:

Climbing at Troy Quarry in lockdown??!! Careful, some people aren't keen on others doing that....

BillyBoredEU 11 Jan 2021
In reply to LakesWinter:

> Climbing at Troy Quarry in lockdown??!! Careful, some people aren't keen on others doing that....

Indeed. Often patrolled by local busy bodies.

David Bennett 11 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234: It’s a series of small natural grit outcrops, bouldering really. Haven’t been for many years so cannot really comment on quality but went a few times so it cannot be all bad. I do remember it being a pretty steep slog up to the foot of the crag

dread-i 11 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

In Jameson Quary itself, there are some bits that might go as DWS. There are some areas that look ok, but have shale above or below them. I'd take a crowbar as some of it will be quite exciting.

I cant recall anything on the hill above it, but there could well be one or two small boulders or faces.

Tyler 11 Jan 2021
In reply to David Bennett:

Are you sure you are not confusing these with the small outcrops on Torr Hill which matches your description better than this (whatever this is!) does?

J1234 11 Jan 2021
In reply to Tyler:

Yes those are the ones I first thought it might be, they have been climbed on for 50 or 60 years to my knowledge and give good fingery climbing, but are not listed on UKC

J1234 11 Jan 2021
In reply to gravy:

No thats a different location.

J1234 11 Jan 2021
In reply to dread-i:

I have checked out Jamestown and the only potential I have seen there is possibly for an icefall to form in the corner by the farm.

J1234 11 Jan 2021
In reply to David Bennett:

Thanks but I think that is Musbury Tor as Tyler says, fits your description perfectly.

David Bennett 11 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

Musburry tor does ring a bell!

Enty 11 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

There are some small outcrops at the top of Musbury Tor. John Dunne has climbed there - true story!

There used to be a classic fell race. The Tor Mile. The race started in the car park behind Park Mill at the end of Musbury road. Up the the hill, run round a flag at the top (just near the rocks) then freewheel back down at 100mph.

Looks like it's been revivied.
https://www.burytimes.co.uk/sport/burysportsnews/athletics/15194946.radclif...

E

J1234 11 Jan 2021
In reply to Enty:

Thats it, stand on top of there and you can look down on my old house, and thats Jamestone quarry in the distance. What was John doing there, bit off his turf. I do know some of the best climbers in Lancashire started their climbing there. Surprised its not listed on UKC really.

tintinandpip 11 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234: I was born in the front bedroom at Fern Bank Helmshore which  looks straight at Tor. My great grandad was the village blacksmith ( Sam Edgerton - a point for anyone who can name the location of the smithy ) As my old classmate Enty says famous for the Tor mile, and also the series of outcrops. Locally the first outcrop was alway known as Big Noah. 
I did try the bouldering up there back in the late 80s probably with Enty but as described in the old Lancashire guide book “it’s not worth the walk !”

ps just re read the title it’s definitely Helmshore Tor ( not Haslingden they get Cribden  )

Post edited at 21:59
 Mike_d78 12 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

These shots are about as good as it gets.... up to 15' ish.

Possibly worth one low expectations visit for a potter. You may or may not regret it. 

I live at the bottom of the hill in helmshore. Only moved there in the summer, I've walked past a couple of times without stopping to climb. 

The crag is not in the Lancashire Bouldering guide...

Post edited at 08:09

dread-i 12 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

This is what I meant by DWS. I suspect that it most of would come away in your hands and send you to a watery doom.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5117/5832061241_296fee165d_b.jpg

Tyler 12 Jan 2021
In reply to tintinandpip:

> ( Sam Edgerton - a point for anyone who can name the location of the smithy )

My sources (ex-next door neighbour in Irwell Vale) tells me the Smithy was also on Fern bank, is that what you meant?

tintinandpip 12 Jan 2021
In reply to Tyler

Fern Bank is a row of 4 terraced houses opposite and above the Helmshore station. 
The smithy was at the junction of Gregory fold and Holcombe road opposite  Musbury fabrics ( is that still there ?) by the bridge 

In reply to J1234:

Its a great view but it wont take the pressure off Rocklands any time soon .  

J1234 12 Jan 2021
In reply to Mike_d78:

Its a nice area, the Robin Hood is good when it reopens.

Thats Musbury Tor, I will wander across and check out this mythical Haslingden Tor, on my next longer walk.

Musbury Tor is worth playing on to get finger strength up, and the CV exercise of the walk up.

Michael Hood 12 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

It looks a lot better than some of the "crags" that are detailed in UKC's database. Regardless of the quality of the climbing, it looks like a nice spot - shame it's N facing, I might have a look when it's ok to go and it's a bit warmer.

Tyler 12 Jan 2021

> The smithy was at the junction of Gregory fold and Holcombe road opposite  Musbury fabrics ( is that still there ?) by the bridge 

Musbury Fabrics is still there but not sure about the Smithy looking at street view. My neighbour tells me there are examples of your great grandad's work buried under Irwell Vale village green, you won't be able to get at them though as they are now under a great big tree with a preservation order on it - a point to you if you can guess what they are?

Post edited at 18:15
 Gavin 12 Jan 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

I'll come out of the woodwork as another Helmshore resident who looks out onto Tor from the window I'm currently working behind.  I've played on the outcrops in approach shoes but never worried about taking my stickies up there.

The quickest approach is probably from next to Albert Mill if you're thinking of going up.  As has been said here it's probably more commonly known as Musbury Tor, or just Tor.

As to the mythical Haslingden Tor there are a couple of reentrants shown here https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7124592,-2.3424608,725m/data=!3m1!1e3 and when I have looked across from the Halo there does look to be some rock at the back of them, but they are pretty much in the farm yard?

Also, does anyone know if the occasional waterfall that forms at the nearby Hutch Bank quarry ever freezes?

Gavin

tintinandpip 12 Jan 2021
In reply to Tyler

There is a little car park opposite Musbury fabrics that’s where the smithy was. 
I know that my grandma used to ride the horses back to the farms when she came home from school, perhaps from 1915 - 1925 ish and she then had to walk home. I do remember that they shoed horses in irwell vale : as kids we used to walk from her house ( opposite sunny bank social club ) through the park, over the bridge through Snig hole and ravenshore. This is all building up to me having to admit that I have no idea what is buried ! A wild guess would be some sort of metal work to tether horses to ?

J1234 12 Jan 2021
In reply to dread-i:

> This is what I meant by DWS. I suspect that it most of would come away in your hands and send you to a watery doom.

I thought that was the same bedding plain of rock as Troy, and good Haslingden flag, and wondered if there was potential for a long traverse, with ropes, potentially the Longest route in Lancashire.
Not sure what the blue stuff in the water would do to ropes though.

Tyler 12 Jan 2021

Not even as exciting as that, its the shoes. The matriarch of the village's (now well into her nineties) father was the coal man and when his horse died it was buried on the green and a tree planted on top. 

tintinandpip 12 Jan 2021

Good story, I had never heard that before. I think Sam died in the late 50’s which fits with the time frame. 
The Helmshore local history society (Chris Aspin and Derek Pilkington who was my uncle) published a book “Helmshore” in the late 70s and there are a few pictures of the smithy and Sam. 
I do have a copy but it’s a very rare book, there was one in Haslingden library back when I lived in Helmshore. Well worth a look if you are interested in local history. 
Thanks for that, amazing what appears on UKC ! 

Phil Kelly 12 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

John also visited Harcles Hill Quarry, just over the hill from Musbury.

this would have been around 1984.

dread-i 13 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

> I thought that was the same bedding plain of rock as Troy, and good Haslingden flag, and wondered if there was potential for a long traverse, with ropes, potentially the Longest route in Lancashire.

The water level varies in the summer, so could be worth a check then. No idea if it would be a safe landing, but a traverse with hanging belays, would make it Rossendale's first sea cliff route. I'm not sure if they are actively working the rest of the quarry. I got the impression it was a clean up and landscaping operation.

It may be the same rock as Troy, but Troy has Questionable Stability. Parts of it are falling down.

Same rock a Hutch Bank, which is a km or so back towards Haslingden. When I checked that out it was loose with bands of shale. That's worth a quick visit, as some bits are better than others.

> Not sure what the blue stuff in the water would do to ropes though.

Probably some nasty algae.

J1234 13 Jan 2021
In reply to dread-i:

>

> Same rock a Hutch Bank, which is a km or so back towards Haslingden. When I checked that out it was loose with bands of shale. That's worth a quick visit, as some bits are better than others.

Hutch Bank is the one were I think there is potential for an Ice Fall, I gave Hutch Bank a good snoop a few years ago. I am not sure if I saw an Ice fall form, I think I did, but that could be my imagination. As I am not an Ice Climber I would not have climbed it, but I know enough who would and could have, who I would have contacted, so on balance I would say its my imagination.

Gavin 13 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

Yes, and that's the same question I asked - so I am not alone in having optimistically seen potential!  I think we're both talking about the outflow on one of the back walls that looks like it could freeze into a line and I've often wondered about it but not managed to get up there at the right time to have a proper look during a cold spell.

tintinandpip 13 Jan 2021
In reply to Gavin:

Endless deep water soloing and ice falls at Hutch Bank quarry, what was I thinking about when I left Helmshore and moved to the Lakes 🤣

Enty 13 Jan 2021

Don't forget Gambler's Caves, Coppice bypass cutting and Hapton Clough.

E

J1234 13 Jan 2021

Its the opportunity to meet people with big bushy eye brows.

Post edited at 11:29
 dh73 13 Jan 2021
In reply to Enty:

i top-roped a couple of climbs in Hapton clough (I presume you mean castle clough in Hapton) a few years back. quite fun, but not much there and i wouldn't really recommend travelling far for them

is there climbing in the gambler's caves (accrington side of Hameldon i presume?)

tintinandpip 13 Jan 2021
In reply to dh73:

Hapton Clough went there when I was at Accy and Rossendale college on Sandy Lane ( Bob Perris must get a mention). 
Terrifying and terrible as I remember ! 

dh73 13 Jan 2021

it killed an hour. an old rusty peg in one of the climbs as well so must have been lead at some stage although the rock was a bit crumbly from memory.

i have also been looking at the old quarries on the hapton side of hameldon. miles of rock but hardly anything worthwhile unfortunately

Gavin 13 Jan 2021
In reply to dh73:

The last time I visited Gambler's cave I could hear bits falling down inside it and there are some huge beds of rock in the roof held up with I don't know what?

Surprised no one has mentioned Pinner as that's on the doorstep for rubbish crags nearby https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/pinner_quarry-23786#overview

Also https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/pinner-quarry-crawshawbooth-rossendal... for the cavers in the room and http://www.12monkeys.co.uk/2015/08/pinner-quarry-crawshawbooth-august-2015.... showing the old crane.  I think access is now harder than it once was, but I am sure the local enterprising youths will have found a way back in...

dread-i 13 Jan 2021
In reply to Gavin:

I went to Pinner not so long ago. Its like a crappy Brownstones: damp, overgrown, crumbly. The cave is still secured with the big gate. Didnt seem to be a way in and it doesn't look like it goes back that far.

There is another quarry on the other side of the valley from it. Damp, overgrown, crumbly etc. Its quite tall though.

https://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?X=381663&Y=425409&A=Y&Z=11...

There's also a few scrappy bit of rock on the edge of Scout moor, above the bike track at Lee Quarry. These also freeze, but most are no higher than 5m in height. 

Michael Hood 13 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

Gosh with all these wonderful spots around, I'm just glad that they're slightly more than 7 miles from home. Hopefully Boris won't go on a longer cycle ride 😁

J1234 13 Jan 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

Just count your blessings that Lester Mill Quarry is not local.

Enty 14 Jan 2021
In reply to dh73:

>

> is there climbing in the gambler's caves (accrington side of Hameldon i presume?)

Yes that's it. Just over the moor from the air raid shelter. We used to play up there when we were kids.

I remember the big slabs in the roof and I remember someone had written Overhanging Bastion on one of the walls and I think there were some old aid bolts in the roof.

Outside of the cave there was a buttress where a more modern bolt appeared.

E

J1234 17 Jan 2021
 steveb2006 17 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

Maybe check with A Smurthwaite - the moderator

J1234 17 Jan 2021
In reply to steveb2006:

I suspect young Master Smurthwaite has moved on to greater things, well from Haslingden Tor and Pinner Quarry, the only way is up, obviously a sensible chap.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...