Harmer's Wood chipping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jim jones 12 Sep 2020

There are two pictures in my gallery of the back wall at Harmer's Wood, showing the extensive damage to the rock someone obviously thinks is acceptable. The original post is from the Facebook group Friends of Pex Hill;

https://www.facebook.com/groups/271570429959569/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

Harmer's Wood

I doubt the culprit is ever likely to own up with a reason for this vandalism. After discussion with local activists we plan to fill the extensive slots which have been carved out. Comments and advice welcome. 

Tom Green 12 Sep 2020
In reply to jim jones:

That explains the mystery...

Revisited Harmers earlier this year (after a year or so) and that line hits you in the eye. I couldn’t believe I’d missed it at previous visits but it wasn’t that obvious that it was drilled (or not to me anyway) as it didn’t have ‘fresh’ edges. But neither was it mentioned in the Cheshire sandstone guide, despite being so obvious, so I was left a bit confused. 

Gutting that someone has made such a massive alteration (although it puts in to perspective how depressed I was at the ridiculously excessive chalk and the horrendous donkey ticks that also seem to be the norm there now!)

I would be for filling it in, just to reinforce the message that chipping isn’t legit. 

steveriley 14 Sep 2020
In reply to jim jones:

This is truly grim, Harmers Wood is vulnerable at the best of times. The soft rock doesn't take kindly to any kind of damp and makes the holds friable. Looks like someone has gone at it hard with an angle grinder

jon 14 Sep 2020
In reply to jim jones:

Thanks for your reply to my question on your photo. Was this already a route, finishing with the 'natural' crack? 

OP jim jones 14 Sep 2020
In reply to jon:

> Thanks for your reply to my question on your photo. Was this already a route, finishing with the 'natural' crack? 

No Jon, it was a blank wall, quoted from the current guide;

”It does have some weaknesses-but who will claim them? A clean line on the right side is possible and is an open project” 

The wall was known as The Black Box or The Looking Glass. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...