Group nightmare in Leonidio

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heike 23 Apr 2019

I am generally an easy going climber who likes to interact with others, but today was an utter nightmare. Went to a crag in Leonidio and had a peaceful hour with another few teams climbing. Next, two groups turn up - one British, one German both about 12 to 14 people each. They start screaming and  shouting-  mostly complaining about the "horrendous" walk-in of about 25 minutes...Then they start putting runners in all the routes available for their group rendering the crag inaccessible to the rest of the climbers. You wouldn't do that a climbing wall. And then they kept shouting nice, amazing, awesome,  breathe deeply Katie or whatever so loudly that the other climbers could not communicate anymore. And there was nothing left for the several independent teams apart from going...Not a nice experience.

jon 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Heike:

I feel for you Heike. I hate this. It's not what I go climbing for. Can you find a crag that's further away from the road, perhaps?

OP Heike 23 Apr 2019
In reply to jon:

I will walk further...I just thought the 25 minutes and 250 m ascent would have limited it, but I think we just got unlucky...;- you should have heard the complaints about the walk-in of the people in these groups ...

In reply to Heike:

It's not great when that happens, make the best of it tell them about the wonderful, must do, classic climbs of Carnmore and Bhein a Bhuird. 

You never know, they may take you up on it  

Post edited at 19:27
OP Heike 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Presley Whippet:

I don't think so I need  to have some place of quiet .. think about the complaints walking into to there

OP Heike 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Well, yeah!! Today was really hideous. Climbing great, actual climbing  feeling poor. I am in search of retro places again from now on I think.I have a few in mind ...where there will be peace and quiet. In places around Europe.

Post edited at 20:12
 john arran 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Heike:

Lots of peace and quiet to be had here in Ariège, Heike. In fact it's usually a surprise when you find you don't have a crag to yourselves.

OP Heike 23 Apr 2019
In reply to john arran:

Usually peace and quiet in Scotland, too.Had a weekend in Reiff two weeks ago and never met a soul. It's not so much about being alone as it is about those groups taking over. I am a very sociable person and like to.chat and interact. I just don't like the crag group takeovers....

Post edited at 20:36
OP Heike 23 Apr 2019
In reply to john arran:

Will look into Ariege!

Post edited at 20:28
OP Heike 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Heike:

On the other hand ,to focus on good Karma,we have the nicest of hosts who brings us fresh bread and cakes baked by mum every morning  plus fresh fruit and veg and he has just prepared a bbq with wood for us tomorrow for our rest day. Couldn't be a nicer chap!!! 

Post edited at 20:37
 Michael Hood 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Heike:

Allegedly, John knows somewhere nice to stay

john arran 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Michael Hood:

Sshh! It's a secret!

abbeywall 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Heike:

The technical term is being ‘grouped’. Was it Skiandianko?

jon 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Heike:

When you do find somewhere quiet... don't tell anyone

Elsier 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Heike:

This kind of puts me off going back.... 

The first time I went to Leonidio it was just when the first guidebook came out and it was still a little bit under the radar. I don't mind sharing crags with other climbers either but I don't like it when they are really busy and especially if the other climbers are not being so considerate. I think there are lots of less popular places that still have great climbing, you just have to do a bit more research to find out about them. 

johncook 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Heike:

Had similar problems in Kalymnos two years in a row. Both years I had relative novices with me. Went to 'easy' crags only to find every easy route rigged with top ropes and/or quickdraws with rope through them. This was done by a well known UK company who suggested that they had every right to these routes as their customers had paid for the priviledge! The senior instructors arrogance was beyond belief. As they were all sitting round having lunch, we removed their rope/quick draws, climbed their routes and then replaced their ropes/quickdraws. Apparently we were putting their paying customers at risk by interfering with their rigged equipment. The next route, I just left their gear in a pile at the base and went off to pastures new. I have seen the same instructor doing the same thing at other crags in other areas. The company asked me to produce video footage before the believed me. I was climbing not filming, so basically they were not interested!

OP Heike 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Elsier:

I know! Same here. Still a nice place, but the behaviour of some is still strange 

OP Heike 23 Apr 2019
In reply to johncook:

Boo That's why we havn't been there in the last few  years.

OP Heike 23 Apr 2019
In reply to abbeywall:

Nope.It was another crag. Totally random

OP Heike 23 Apr 2019
In reply to johncook:

Awful.  Sounds similar to our experience...

Post edited at 22:53
 AmyG 24 Apr 2019
OP Heike 24 Apr 2019
In reply to AmyG:

That's the tame version! Where is the screaming and shouting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...