Gritstone: Yorkshire vs Peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Anna Fleming 21 Feb 2020

I'm doing some research for a book and am looking for a definitive answer on this one.... Is Yorkshire grit harder than Peak District grit?

After a lot of time climbing at Ilkley, Baildon Bank, Hetchell and Almscliffe I remember heading down to Stanage and Froggatt and being astonished by the amount of holds, features and gear placements.

profitofdoom 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Anna Fleming:

> .....Is Yorkshire grit harder than Peak District grit?

After my 25-year research "improving" holds with my lump hammer across grit in the Peak and Yorkshire, I can definitively and positively say that Yorkshire grit is harder

you mean in terms of the range of grades and how many routes in each grade? or how stiff the grading is?

OP Anna Fleming 21 Feb 2020
In reply to climberclimber321:

I mean how stiff the grading is... Is a HS on Stanage easier than a HS in Yorkshire?

In reply to profitofdoom:

Ah now there's some worthy research! Would you say you find more holds that need "improving" in Yorkshire or the Peak?

GrahamD 21 Feb 2020

Technically, Stanage is in Yorkshire 

Brown 21 Feb 2020

Is Hetchell not sandstone?

Andy Hardy 21 Feb 2020

What sort of book?

profitofdoom 21 Feb 2020

> Ah now there's some worthy research! Would you say you find more holds that need "improving" in Yorkshire or the Peak?

The Peak. Also the sparks are different colours, yellow in the Peak, white in Yorkshire. I also get a lot more abuse from below in the Peak (bless them), don't know why. Good luck with your book 

In reply to Andy Hardy:

It's a nature-writing book about trad climbing adventures across the UK. Each chapter is set in a different part of the UK, so I'm trying to reflect on the difference in character between Yorkshire grit and Peak grit

Andy Hardy 21 Feb 2020

OK thanks - there are much more knowledgeable folk on here than me but this topic came up recently, and one of the pearls that was cast in my direction was that until the 70s the Yorkshire Mountaineering Club (who wrote the guides for Yorkshire grit) fixed the top grade at VS, hence a certain degree of grade compression / sandbagging was the result, hopefully the differences are being ironed out with each new series of guidebooks

Sir Chasm 21 Feb 2020

Yes.

webbo 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

My 1969 Yorkshire Gritstone guide had grades of. Hard Very Severe and Extremely Severe.

Deadeye 21 Feb 2020

I think that if you believe that's a meaningful question, let alone one with a definitive answer, then you probably should write a different book.

Post edited at 15:06
 Andy Hardy 21 Feb 2020
In reply to webbo:

Thanks, just checked, the wording was "YMC were opposed to harder grades"

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/rocktalk/font_grades_instead_of_uk_tech_g...

webbo 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I can’t see how that would be given they already had harder grades than VS in their guides. Also Alan Austin the leading light of the YMC was writing guides for the Fell and Rock in the Lakes with grades up to Extreme.

The Leeds Uni club were sandbagging others with grades saying lots of standard grit Extremes were VS. I tied to lead Tippler at the end days climbing as I had been led to believe it was Yorkshire VS.

I fell off.

Post edited at 16:02
 Andy Clarke 21 Feb 2020

The answer is Staffordshire. 

malx 21 Feb 2020

I'm not sure why people seem to have a problem with this question. I'd say Yorkshire is definitely harder for the grade on average.

GrahamD 21 Feb 2020
In reply to malx:

Are you including eg Ramshaw, Hen Cloud or Wimberry in your Peak average grade ?

Wiley Coyote2 21 Feb 2020

Having started my climbing on Yorkshire grit (I lived 5 miles from Almscliffe) all I can say is that when we finally got to the Peak we could not believe how much easier stuff was grade-for-grade. I'm talking about the late 60s/early 70s and I think  climbers starting today may struggle to appreciate how just how parochial most climbing was in those days when car ownership was a comparative rarity. Back then, before people started nipping to Font for a weekend or  the Costa Blanca for a few days, Stanage seemed quite an exotic destination for us and the Lakes (all of 60 odd miles away) was a once-a-year treat. One result of that was some quite large differences between grades in areas.  All my early extremes were done in the Peak or the Lakes when I was still struggling on Yorkshire HVS.

With modern mobility maybe things are evening out. I'm so used to climbing in different areas now that I don't really notice  but people from other areas still complain to me about Almscliffe grades

Mick Ward 21 Feb 2020

> I'm doing some research for a book and am looking for a definitive answer on this one.... Is Yorkshire grit harder than Peak District grit?

There's no definitive answer. It's that simple.

Mick

malx 21 Feb 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

I was. I think Western Grit is similar to the Yorkshire average but Eastern Grit is much easier so the Peak average is lower. Only an opinion!

mrphilipoldham 21 Feb 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Controversial. 

I thought most was in Derbyshire, but the further ends of the northern section you'd climb in Derbyshire and belay in Yorkshire. 

For what it's worth, I've found Yorkshire generally scarier, with gear further between than the eastern Peak.. not too dissimilar to the Roaches. Whaup Edge (VS 4b) was more trouser filling than some Peak E1s I've done! 

Graeme Hammond 21 Feb 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> Technically, Stanage is in Yorkshire 

No it isn't, have a look at an OS map, the county boundary is either along the crag top for a short section around the northern edge but for most of the edge it is on the moor behind and well inside of Derbyshire.

Post edited at 18:31
 GrahamD 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

That's what happens when you listen to a friend of a friend

In reply to GrahamD:

> That's what happens when you listen to a friend of a friend

Burbage is in South Yorkshire if it's any consolation. 

GrahamD 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

As is Rivlin and I guess a few others.

paul mitchell 22 Feb 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

Story has it that Livesey had outdoor pursuits students  practicing aid climbing on Wellington Crack,to widen the jams.

….and Ray's Roof is in Staffs. First ascent by an American.

Post edited at 12:58
 alan moore 22 Feb 2020

From an outsider who has dabbled a fair bit in both areas.

Yorkshire grit has tougher grades.

Yorkshire grit often has tougher conditions. (Further north?)

Yorkshire often has scarier looking or more intense looking roots. (I can't summon up the courage for Cow Udder or Bald Pate!)

Yorkshire grit is often more polished.

Staffordshire grit is the nicest, friendliest and bestist.

Lankyman 22 Feb 2020
In reply to alan moore:

> From an outsider who has dabbled a fair bit in both areas.

> Yorkshire grit has tougher grades.

And yet, Brimham has the easiest E3 (on grit or any other rock type) I have ever done, anywhere.

Post edited at 13:29
 mrphilipoldham 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Oh really......? 

alan moore 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Acme wall?

Lankyman 22 Feb 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> Oh really......? 

Yes

Lankyman 22 Feb 2020
In reply to alan moore:

> Acme wall?

No. That was only HVS 5b in my guide.

Bulls Crack 23 Feb 2020

Gritstone comes out c 6-7 on the MOHS scale. and, after extensive testing at the Peak and Yorkshire crags, Yorkshire is officially 0.6 softer.

https://rocks.comparenature.com/en/properties-of-gritstone/model-61-6

Alkis 23 Feb 2020

This is perhaps a bit of a limited sample but I found the Almscliffe VS challenge more difficult than the Stanage VS challenge, even though it has 16 fewer climbs and they are all clustered together.

jcw 23 Feb 2020
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

So too did I in the same period, totally agree. And subsequent visits with the likes of Martin Harris and his mates, with me still tagging along at a reasonable standard for my age (70) simply confirmed that (N) Yorkshire grades were far stiffer. Franklin Green Crack was a horror show for me! Incidentally I can confirm the poster who stated that the 1969 guidebook had grades which were effectively open ended.  

mikekeswick 23 Feb 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Brimham also has Minion's Way at HVS

Lankyman 23 Feb 2020
In reply to mikekeswick:

> Brimham also has Minion's Way at HVS

It's only given VS in my guide (although weighing in at 5a).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...