Gritstone Quarryman grade?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Red Rover 07 Sep 2020

OK here's a stupid topic, but what do people think the grade of the quarryman groove pitch would be if it was made of the best and roughest gritstone? The gear is the same it's just lovely grippy grit that bites into the shoes. Based on very little knowledge I would say E3 6a.

DerwentDiluted 07 Sep 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

I'll see your Gritstone Quarryman and raise you a Slate Three Pebble Slab.

OP Red Rover 07 Sep 2020
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Does slate TPS have any of the pebbles in it?

Dan Arkle 07 Sep 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

Suprisingly, I don't think it would change that much. Its the blankness and the angles which give the difficulty. I reckon it would be E6/7 or 7b+ since its actually a sport route. 

Although on grit you could put your feet anywhere, Quarryman has tiny but distinct footholds for a lot of it.

OP Red Rover 07 Sep 2020
In reply to Dan Arkle:

OK fair enough. I imagined if it was grit you could just wedge your body in it but I've obviously never been near the groove so don't know.

Dave Cundy 07 Sep 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

A sort of The Peapod (HVS 5b) on a massive dose of steroids?

I bet there would be a couple of rope grooves at the top, from all the aspirant leaders having a cheeky practice beforehand.

Would the grade go up if the midges were out?

Post edited at 13:24
 Dan Arkle 07 Sep 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

Try Goliaths Groove at Stanage, just smearing/palming without using the crack. It's similar to that but two grades harder

OP Red Rover 07 Sep 2020
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Good point. I got nowhere on Goliath's Groove by smearing I ended up jamming up it (but is is very polished). I thought the Quarryman groove was more acute angle though? Photos like this make it look like it would be much easier if it was a rough rock https://gripped.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Hazel-Findlay-Quarryman.jpg

PaulJepson 07 Sep 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

Hazel is a bit of a shorty, as is Johnny. Have any beanpoles climbed it? James Pearson is quite tall. It looks like it might be a fair bit harder for the tall, for once.  

Michael Gordon 07 Sep 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

When Hazel did it there was a lot of chat about it being harder for the short! But that might be the route as a whole rather than just the groove pitch.

dinodinosaur 07 Sep 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

Sorry you can't bolt grit so it wouldn't have any bolts in it. This would make it significantly bold

Post edited at 21:31
OP Red Rover 08 Sep 2020
In reply to dinodinosaur:

It's hypothetical!

Stroppy 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

Hypothetical bolts on hypothetical grit are still not allowed (hypothetically)

Post edited at 15:38
 Adam Long 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I've not tried The Quarryman but suspect/ hope there might be more than two grades in it.

youtube.com/watch?v=ss1n9n_NI_o&t=337

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...