Great Wall in a single pitch?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigger 23 Apr 2019

I can't find any of my parteners who will give up the chance to lead Great Wall at Cloggy (or who are currently ready to swing leads on it). Does anyone know if its possible to link both pitches on 60's and then abseil to clean the route?

Cheers

Michael

philhilo 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Tigger:

I would have thought there would be epic drag/resistance considering the line of the second pitch, the weight of ropes, and drag of gear. But that's climbing theory.

In reply to Tigger:

Not sure about 60’s, but it was originally done as one pitch, of course. I don’t see why rope drag would be a particular problem, or at least only on the very final traverse.

Bastard walk round to recover the abseil anchor, mind. I’m not sure you can even scramble down to that point.

jcm

OP Tigger 23 Apr 2019
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Thanks for the pointers, I assumed that the scramble wouldn't be too bad so thanks for the word of warning there as well. I'll just have to bide my time I guess.

In reply to Tigger:

I seconded it in a single pitch last year. There were a couple of nuts in situ that we rapped down off. 

jon 23 Apr 2019
OP Tigger 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Ok and the leader had enough rope left to form a belay I guess, was that on 60's?

In reply to Tigger:

Just looked at the pics and we were using my 60 metre ropes.

It’s a big pitch. Take a big rack!

Mick Ward 23 Apr 2019

And stick it all in!  My notion of the odd wire, here and there, could have ended in some serious flight time. (Just as I left the ground, someone confided that someone else had gone 120 feet the day before and just missed decking. Find this hard to believe - but I do know someone who went 60 feet. Get every piece in. Take care!)

Mick

Misha 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Tigger:

I seem to recall the scramble off was ok. Which suggests scrambling down would be feasible but harder. Perhaps throw in a short abseil or two. Go to check out the anchor and pre place it if need be, with a length of rope hanging off it just in case. I don’t recall an in situ gear for the anchor but it was a few years back. Lots of extenders to avoid drag as it goes in a C shape. Though perhaps more like an upside down L as far as runners are concerned. 

OP Tigger 24 Apr 2019

Cheers Tom, we've got a double rack between me and my GF. Including a double set of micro cams, brass and brass offsets. So the big rack won't be an issue, hauling it up to Cloggy might be though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...