Goucho RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MikeB1234 09 Feb 2019

Dear UKC 

It is with sadness, that I am posting to let you all know that Goucho (actually my dear friend Nick) suffered a massive heart attack several weeks ago, and passed away.

He'd had a double heart bypass a few months ago, and seemed to be recovering well, but unfortunately, he took a turn for the worse, and had to have further surgery, from which he never really recovered.

Considering the adventures he had both on and off the mountains, a great number of the mountain one's which I shared, I always thought he was indestructible. Apparently not.

An enigma wrapped in a conundrum is an apt description of him. He had his demons, and sometimes they got the better of him.

A restless and adictive personality meant he often took things to extremes. 

He was a fiercely private person, with a mistrust of the human race, which apart from family and close friends, he kept at arms length, sometimes to the point where he became reclusive.

Yet to his family (who he utterly adored) and close friends, he was incredibly warm, affectionate, generous and unwaveringly loyal.

He always said his goals in life were simple. Climb, make enough money to not have to think about it anymore, wrap himself in a loving family, and be magnificently anonymous.

I think he succeeded in all of them.

He was always self depriciatory regarding his climbing achievements, putting them down to a combination of a long reach, luck and better partners. As someone who climbed hundreds of routes with him over many years, I can say this is not true.

He was a superb climber, technically gifted and bold, with huge stamina, endurance and toughness. He could be a really hard bastard when the chips were down.

He was also a great raconteur, with a never ending supply of stories, several of which I imagine he may have posted on here. Like most people with a dark side, he could also be very funny.

They say it's not the years in your life, but the life in your years that matters.

Well he certainly packed an awful lot into his years.

It's just a shame he never managed to finish the book he was writing containing them all. It would have been a great read.

Like all those close to him, I am shattered by his passing, and will miss him terribly. 

The world is a bit darker for his passing.

Mike.

Gone for good 09 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

So sorry to hear this news. RIP Goucho. 

Yanis Nayu 09 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

Sad news. Sorry for the loss of your friend. 

wilkie14c 09 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

A touching and well written obituary there Mike. 

I enjoyed Grouchos posts very much. 

RIP fella, condolences to his family and friends.

BALD EAGLE 09 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

Mike that really is terrible news and I'm so sorry to hear this. Nick aka Goucho had some amazing tales to tell on UKC of a life less ordinary and I will really miss his contributions. Nick's posts about his epic retreat on the North Face of the Eiger, followed by his more recent succesful ascent will live long in my memory. Rest in peace Goucho and sincere condolences to all his family and friends.

DerwentDiluted 09 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

Damn, what a crappy week this is turning into. Loved his little essays.

Post edited at 21:50
 SteveSBlake 09 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

This is sad news, I really enjoyed his contributions to UKC. To tell fantastic tales, you have to have great adventures. He seemed to have plenty of both.

Condolences to family and friends.

Steve

BALD EAGLE 09 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

Goucho's superb and captivating account of his successful ascent of the North Face of the Eiger:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/expedition+alpine/dancing_with_demons-659...

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/expedition+alpine/dancing_with_demons_-_p...

Finally putting the demons to rest...

The New NickB 09 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

Terrible news, I remember his posts about what seemed to be quite sudden health issues.

I always enjoyed his often poetic and sometimes robust posts. Seemed like a life well lived, but still a life too short.

AP Melbourne 09 Feb 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

I echo all the above sentiments - thoroughly enjoyed Goucho's post here.

Condolences to family and friends.

May he rest in peace.

Stichtplate 09 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

Damn, real sense of sadness for the passing of someone I only got to know a little through his brilliant and utterly evocative writing. His posts were a big part of hooking me into UKC. I can only imagine how hard this must be for the people who actually knew and loved him. Deeply sorry for your loss.

Niall_H 09 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

I'll miss him: his posting were fun and he seemed a good person. 

pasbury 10 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

My condolences. His posts on this forum (all I know of him) were thoughtful, hair raising, complicated, full of life experience and wonderfully written.

Post edited at 00:06
 deepsoup 10 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

Very sorry to hear about this.  I enjoyed his postings on here very much, he always came across as a very good egg.

Heartfelt condolences to you Mike, and his other friends & family.

Doug 10 Feb 2019

The bad news just keeps coming.

I don't think I met him in person, although its quite possible our paths did cross as we were of a similar age & had some friends in common but feel I did know him through his posts here and will miss his contributions.

Maybe enough of his book was finished to be edited/completed by someone else ?

Climber_Bill 10 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

That is very sad news. I always enjoyed reading Gouchos posts and stories, especially the one about his wife and the yob.

It was obvious he had been an amazing climber and mountaineer but clearly wanted to remain anonymous as possible.

Condolences to all his family and friends.

TJB.

1234None 10 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

> He was a fiercely private person, with a mistrust of the human race, which apart from family and close friends, he kept at arms length, sometimes to the point where he became reclusive.

> He always said his goals in life were simple. Climb, make enough money to not have to think about it anymore, wrap himself in a loving family, and be magnificently anonymous.

A truly sad loss. Condolences to all of his family and friends.  I didn't know him well, but enjoyed his contributions here.  As for his approach to life and his goals, I can definitely identify with them, as I am sure many others can too.

Siward 10 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

That's terrible. I never met him but he was a really positive presence on these forums and we'll miss him. RIP.

jcw 10 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

Well there is one thing certain, UKC is going to be poorer for his passing. I don't think I ever missed any of his posts, what a personality.  

Bobling 10 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

Really sad news, thank you for letting us know Mike.  My thoughts are with Mrs G and his nearest and dearest.  Ride into the night Goucho.

Rick Graham 10 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

More sad news , it has been a raw week.

I must have met or even crossed swords with G or Nick somewhere, I am sure we would have got on like a house on fire.

So many good days and wild nights in the Rule, George , Clachaig , Moon or Padarn Lake.  Days when cloggy, scafell, slime wall, even the dru or walker spur were rammed with climbers.

The annual summer meet at Snell's field was always a great place to meet the regulars , some you saw every week and others only occasionally in the UK, always explained by being on a different weekend rota.

Mick, as you knew G in person you will have the mantra of sharing more of his escapades with us.

RIP G 

GridNorth 10 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

Very sad.  Unfortunately one gets to an age when this seems to be happening all around you at an alarming rate.  I never met him but our climbing careers were very similar in both quantity and quality and we shared many of our common experiences here on UKC. I would like to think that we formed a mutual respect for one another's climbing achievements, I certainly respected his.

Al

MikeB1234 10 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

Thank you for all the kind comments, I'm sure Nick would have been very touched by them, and for me, it is lovely to see the climbing community on here remembering him with such fondness. Underneath his granite exterior, lay a great deal of sensitivity and compassion.

I have so many fabulous memories of him, but everything is still too raw, and hurts too much, for me to share at present. 

But maybe in time?

hokkyokusei 10 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

Didn't know him in real life, but from what  I know of him from here, he will be sorely missed by many. His posts were always worth reading. My condolences to his family and friends.

Roberttaylor 10 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

A very heartfelt and moving obituary.

I and I'm sure many others enjoyed his writing here on UKC, he really had the short essay format down. It's a shame he'll never finish that book he was writing.

In reply to MikeB1234:

Very sorry to hear this, and condolences to all his family and friends. I only knew him through his posts here, but that's enough for me to regret his passing.

And that's a splendid eulogy you've written Mike.  Thanks for it.

T.

Offwidth 10 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

Really sad to hear this... I never met him and he wasn't on UKC so long but his presence here was certainly iconic... in particular his recent tales were riveting and honest and I was looking forward to the book. I hope UKC can work with his family and friends to do an obit for him.

Too many deaths recently... just got back from Dave G's wake.

dr evil 10 Feb 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

RIP Nick. Gutted to hear this news

Postmanpat 10 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeB1234:

This is terrible news. His posts on here, especially the great Eiger saga, were some of the very best on UKC. He seemed to embody the spirit of adventure which got so many of us hooked on climbing, albeit in my case at a much lower level.

My condolences to his family and friends.

In reply to MikeB1234:

This is really sad news, a real unique and interesting character and a great writer. I was looking forward to the book coming out. Does anyone have a photo of Goucho? I must have run into him cragging sometime and it would be great to put a name to a face.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...