George in Athens. Is he still re-soling?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HB1 17 Jun 2021

Hi all

I sent a pair of 5.10 Whites to George in Athens 6 weeks ago but have heard nothing since then. No reply from e-mails. Unusual - I've sent a few shoes over the years. Has anyone been in contact with him? They're an old pair, but much loved!

robert-hutton 17 Jun 2021
In reply to HB1:

On the website it says "closed due to covid" I sent a pair over last June and got no contact until he reopened his shop, hope he weathers it out as he does provide a great service.

Climber_Bill 18 Jun 2021
In reply to HB1:

Last year at the end of the first lockdown George was operating and resoled some shoes I sent even though his website said closed. I think that is an old banner as Greece is fully open at the moment.

However, I sent over 4 pairs in April and heard nothing, despite emailing George, and they were returned undelivered / uncollected. Perhaps they were rejected by Greek customs as hazardous waste.

George has always been really good at responding to emails so I don't know what the situation is.

It was quite expensive sending 4 pairs for them to be returned. I'm sure the shoes enjoyed their holiday.

SD.

Post edited at 07:38
 jimtitt 18 Jun 2021
In reply to Climber_Bill:

I'm not suprised, the customs procedure for sending goods for repair is complex at best and whether re-soling is repair or refurbishment is a decision for the customs both sides and may be difficult. It will be even worse for a product manufactured outside the EU. George probably got a bill double the original cost of the shoes and decided not to bother!

digby 18 Jun 2021
In reply to HB1:

Send them to Australia. I hear we have a remarkable trade deal with them now.

/s

DannyC 18 Jun 2021
In reply to HB1:

That's a shame to hear that he might be out of action. The man's a magician! I'm on to my third resole of some Scarpa Instict and they honestly look brand new each time they arrive back. 

I've not had as good results in GB yet. Any good alternatives?

D.

OP HB1 18 Jun 2021
In reply to HB1:

Thanks for the replies. I didn't really hold out much hope, and held back from sending them, but thought I might as well in the end. The shoes have had a good life - just sorry I can't quite buy their like again!

jimtitt 18 Jun 2021
In reply to digby:

> Send them to Australia. I hear we have a remarkable trade deal with them now.

> /s

Free trade doesn't mean no paperwork!

Climber_Bill 18 Jun 2021
In reply to DannyC;

> I've not had as good results in GB yet. Any good alternatives?

Llanberis resoles, run by Torquil, are as good as George does from my experience.

I started using George because Torquil sometimes takes longer climbing trips and wasn’t available. 

SD.

GMohr 18 Jun 2021
In reply to HB1:

Llanberis resoles would be my option - just had two pairs done and I was astounded at how good they were when they came back, especially compared to some i've seen from other resole providers. 

It was a simple and quick service too which always helps.

scoth 18 Jun 2021

Anyone know if Llanberis resoles replace the full sole? And according to the website they don't resole shoes that have been repaired elsewhere. Has anyone sent shoes there that have been resoled elsewhere?

I've tried most of the UK based resoles (not Llanberis) and I've found George way ahead in terms of quality and value for money (even with the shipping costs) - big loss if that service is not availble anymore, as I've not bought new shoes for 5 years.

Hopefully LR fills that gap.

jimtitt 18 Jun 2021
In reply to HB1:

For the benefit of anyone sending to the EU for repairs as I was doing some other customs paperwork I checked briefly what happens.

Without the correct paperwork the items aŕe simply imports and when sent back again an imoort. So when the item(s) arrive in destination the recipient is liable for duty (there are special tarifs for some shoes) and VAT on the value ( new or second hand), the duty and transport costs plus a handling/collection fee.

After the repair the original sender is then liable for duty on the new value, repair costs, transport both ways and then VAT on the above plus the duty.

Alternatively there is a system called Outward Processing Relief which allows for exactly this situation, for this you should engage the services of a customs agent. It's not exactly designed for punters!

mik82 18 Jun 2021
In reply to scoth:

I've used both places. I wore through a pair, including the rand - Llanberis did a partial sole replacement (visible line across) and a rand patch. It worked well. I wore through this again and sent this pair, and another pair with a similar wear pattern to Greece. Both came back looking like new with full sole replacement and new rands. 

If I can't send to Greece I would use Llanberis again, but they are different.

PaulJepson 18 Jun 2021
In reply to mik82:

Yeah I would agree with that. I've used both Llanberis and George and George's came back literally good as new whereas Llanberis looked like a resole job. I also had some delamination on the Llanberis job but Torquil has said he's since got a new press which means this doesn't happen anymore. I can't comment on any Llanberis improvement in the past 2 years but it would be a real shame if George was no longer an option; I save up a few pairs to send at a time. 

mik82 18 Jun 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

The other issue is that Llanberis will only do a second resole on pairs they've done before.

I've got 3 pairs of old style Scarpa Vapour Vs - some are on their third resole (1 via Llanberis and 2 via Greece). The uppers are still fine. Even the third resole pairs came back looking good as new and functioning well. I'll have to chuck these out when they wear through - especially annoying as the uppers are still fine and the new Vapour Vs are different.

PaulJepson 18 Jun 2021
In reply to mik82:

I would check with Llanberis first. I believe Torquil now uses the same setup (and lasts) as George, so it's possible he'll give them a go. That rule is probably there to stop him having to deal with some third-rate bodge job from another resoler. 

Post edited at 16:52
In reply to HB1:

I know during the start of the pandemic last spring he was having issues getting rubber through. we had a few pairs doing in summer normal great job, he told me then he was off to see relative in the US for a while, so he could still be there? I know he wasn't taking on anymore resoles but not why, Have you tried though Facebook he is/was good via messenger.

OP HB1 19 Jun 2021
In reply to HB1:

Well - the much-loved pair of Whites came back to me today. The packet is stamped RETOUR NON RECLAME and some Greek as well. Whether that means that George rejected them (for whatever reason) or that he's not there and has sealed up his postbox, I obviously don't know. It's a shame, but perhaps (and hopefully) only a temporary hiccup. Where shall I send them next I wonder?

Reaver2k 19 Jun 2021
In reply to HB1:

I emailed him back in March (2021) to check that he was open and received this reply for what its worth:

"""

I am in the process of expanding and opening a new lab in the USA since I do have roots there. I am hoping that I will be completed with my move and service from both locations real soon

Till then thank you

Best Regards,

George

"""

HakanT 20 Jun 2021
In reply to HB1:

George has unfortunately closed shop and moved to the US.

PaulJepson 20 Jun 2021
In reply to HakanT:

Oh no! 

If it helps, I've heard shoedoctor in Slovenia are also very good and comparable with George. 

HakanT 20 Jun 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

Good to know, thanks.

Cobra_Head 20 Jun 2021
In reply to HB1:

I've had good results from Cheshire shoes, I'm on my 4th resole with some of my shoes.

Last time there was a small issue with rand to sole interface on one of the shoes, but that was small and out of three pair multi resoled, and oddity.

jon 21 Jun 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

> If it helps, I've heard shoedoctor in Slovenia are also very good and comparable with George. 

I've just had three pairs of shoes - 1 x Mago and 2 x Testarossa - back from Shoedoctor this morning. No time to try them today but will tomorrow, but they look great and the fit hasn't changed. Took around three weeks door to door - picked up and returned to my home (in France) by courrier (GLS in France so presumably in UK too). www.shoedoctor.eu

OP HB1 22 Jun 2021
In reply to jon

Hi Jon. How are the hips these days? With 3 pairs of shoes resoled I presume they're doing well! I've sent my Whites to Llanberis now - hoping for the very best. My other hip is beginning to show signs of deterioration - I suppose I shouldn't run so much - but I like it!

Cheers   Richard

jon 22 Jun 2021
In reply to jon:

> I've just had three pairs of shoes - 1 x Mago and 2 x Testarossa - back from Shoedoctor this morning...

Just to update, I used the Magos today and they really climbed like new - the only difference was that they were comfortable! Definitely the best resoles I've ever had. Mrs J climbed in her Testarossas and had exactly the same opinion. 

Murd 23 Jun 2021
In reply to jon:

What was the postage costs there and back?

deruiter14 23 Jun 2021

had the same happen, returned by customs

jon 23 Jun 2021
In reply to Murd:

The price was 35 €uros. It includes pick up from your home and delivery back there again. This is the price 'regardless of the number of pairs of shoes', so it's worth getting a few pairs done at once - we sent three pairs. 

In reply to HakanT:

> George has unfortunately closed shop and moved to the US.

That’s a real shame, I’ve had six or seven resoles done by George, one pair three times. His craftsmanship was always brilliant. 

In reply to HB1:

I've sent my Whites to Llanberis now - hoping for the very best.

Let me know how you get on as they told me they didn’t stock 5.10 sticky rubber a couple of years ago.

Murd 23 Jun 2021
In reply to jon:

Thx

OP HB1 24 Jun 2021
In reply to Christheclimber:

Will do Chris. Torquil said he'd do them because they'd had an earlier resole from George 

Richard

In reply to HB1:

If you speak decent Spanish (or know anyone who does) maybe try - Tonigatos.es 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...