Fresh faces needed for new Central Wales guidebook photoshoot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Williams 21 Jul 2017

A brand new climbing guide book to Central Wales has been written and page-setting and design are currently very well-advanced. It's anticipated that the guidebook will be printed and then published before the end of this year.

However, it's become apparent during the production phase that we require further action shots of specific routes (VD - E1) on two adjacent coastal cliffs located in Ceredigion, West Wales. The cliffs are Pen Bilis and Ynys Lochtyn:
Pen Bilis/Lochtyn
Ynys Lochtyn

We are looking for interested volunteers who are potentially available for photoshoots during this coming August. Those interested would need to be familiar with climbing on tidal cliffs requiring an abseil approach. Photographs will be taken by Don Sargeant (Climbers' Club) and others. Expressions of interest from female and/ or non-white climbers would be particularly welcome.

Further information available on request. Please PM me if interested.

Thanks.

Dave Williams
Joint Author - 'CENTRAL WALES - A Climbing Guide to Elenydd'
Post edited at 15:47
 Paul at work 22 Jul 2017
In reply to Dave Williams:

I'm going to be in the area over the weekend of the 5/6 August, will be happy to go and explore. I'd already identified that I fancied exploring New Quay, but couldn't find much information on the routes there.
 spenser 22 Jul 2017

Hi Dave, I'd be up for it but am currently committed for every weekend in August, could potentially do either the second or third weekends in September if you don't get any takers.
 olddirtydoggy 22 Jul 2017

Expressions of interest from female and/ or non-white climbers would be particularly welcome.

I find that deeply offensive and object in the strongest terms to that!
OP Dave Williams 22 Jul 2017
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> Expressions of interest from female and/ or non-white climbers would be particularly welcome.

> I find that deeply offensive and object in the strongest terms to that!

I'd assumed that most (all?) people would have read the sentence and realised that we would simply like, on the basis of inclusion, to have have more action photos of women climbers as well as 'climbers of colour' or 'BAME climbers', all of which are grossly under-represented in the guidebook at the moment. In common with many (most?/ all?) non-white people, I don't particularly like these latter terms as they are unwieldy and lack nuance. The first is ridiculous anyway, as white is a colour, yet its use excludes white people. So, after much reflection I decided to state the obvious: In blunt terms, if possible, we'd like more action photos of climbers who are not white and male.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt as to whether you're trolling or not, I'm slightly interested in hearing the rationale as to why you're so offended - but please note that I've no intention of partaking in a debate as to the merits or demerits of my statement. It is what it is and I certainly meant no ill by it; quite the reverse in fact.
 Xavierpercy 23 Jul 2017
I am in Llangranog for a week at the moment and planning to head over to Ynys Lochtyn with my 11 year old daughter Is Don around this week at all
 olddirtydoggy 23 Jul 2017

The 2 climbers I team up with the most are a girl and a Burmese mate and until we got onto the topic of race and gender here I never really thought about what group they come from and neither do I care. Climbing is climbing and people are people so why we have to have this constant agenda of minority and gender representation is beyond me. Just by asking for minorities suggests there is a difference, a grouping and gender system so why not ask for climbers and keep this race crap out of it.
What the hell is 'BAME' ? By the way, are we having climbers who are part of the transvestite community and perhaps people who like pretending they're cats?
 bpmclimb 23 Jul 2017

Trouble is - if you don't make at least some effort to vary subjects for action shots in guidebooks you end up with endless shots of balding, middle-aged men like me. Devastatingly handsome I may be, but still .......
 Babika 23 Jul 2017

In the interests of diversity I'd like to see a few more helmets in the photos....
OP Dave Williams 23 Jul 2017
In reply to spenser:

Thanks; very much appreciated. I'll bear this in mind if we don't get as much done during August as we'd have liked.
In reply to Xavierpercy:

Thanks Guy. Have emailed you.
In reply to bpmclimb:

> Trouble is - if you don't make at least some effort to vary subjects for action shots in guidebooks you end up with endless shots of balding, middle-aged men like me. Devastatingly handsome I may be, but still .......

+1

In reply to Paul at work:

Thanks. PM sent.

Thanks for providing an explanation.
OP Dave Williams 25 Jul 2017

Thanks a lot to UKCers Stu, Emma and Paul who've already kindly volunteered their time.

We are aiming to do the photoshoot during the weekend 5-6th August unless stopped by the weather.

Please PM me if you didn't catch this first time round and would like to get involved.

Dave
 scout 28 Jul 2017
Female and interested
OP Dave Williams 28 Jul 2017
In reply to scout:

Great!

Please PM me via UKC and I'll send you more info by return.

Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...