Footballers' Knee Slides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 23 Nov 2019

As someone with semi-dodgy knees I watch footballers knee sliding with sense of apprehension, and wonder how much long term damage, if any, they are doing to their knees? It's certainly not a natural use of the knees, and must put unnatural stresses and strains onto the joints, ligaments and muscles? It's also copied by kids. Today, in the supermarket, I saw a girl of about ten years old do it when her day sent her to get something off the bottom shelf opposite them. That really got me thinking.

I've found that as I age my knees have become more and more prone to debilitating aches and pains, to the extent that whilst I still hill walk, I have had to give up rock climbing which is often too painful on my knee joints. This isn't a result of knee sliding, I've never done one in my life, but years and years of use. 

I suppose I have been lucky that I was able to carry on rock climbing into my 70s before the pain became too great, and I wonder if I'd been into knee sliding whether my active climbing career would have been much shorter?

Bob Kemp 23 Nov 2019
In reply to Trangia:

Given the state of most amateur/local football pitches kids should never copy knee slides. Too much assorted crap, including the real thing.

(Shame about the effects of knee pain on your climbing career btw. )

Alex Riley 23 Nov 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I used to play a fair bit of football as a teenager and did a bit of coaching too and it was always discouraged.

jimtitt 23 Nov 2019
In reply to Trangia:

> As someone with semi-dodgy knees I watch footballers knee sliding with sense of apprehension, and wonder how much long term damage, if any, they are doing to their knees? It's certainly not a natural use of the knees, and must put unnatural stresses and strains onto the joints, ligaments and muscles? It's also copied by kids. Today, in the supermarket, I saw a girl of about ten years old do it when her day sent her to get something off the bottom shelf opposite them. That really got me thinking.

> I've found that as I age my knees have become more and more prone to debilitating aches and pains, to the extent that whilst I still hill walk, I have had to give up rock climbing which is often too painful on my knee joints. This isn't a result of knee sliding, I've never done one in my life, but years and years of use. 

> I suppose I have been lucky that I was able to carry on rock climbing into my 70s before the pain became too great, and I wonder if I'd been into knee sliding whether my active climbing career would have been much shorter?

Or longer? After all you have knee problems and never did a knee slide the same as me, cause and effect and all that

Roadrunner6 23 Nov 2019
In reply to Trangia:

Marcus Rashford injured himself doing one recently.. 

What is he on 200,000k a week? and gets an injury doing that.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7641309/Rashford-injured...

Wimlands 24 Nov 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Here’s how to do it https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/athletics/46500176

or maybe not...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...