Fairy cave quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bendb 11 Sep 2021

Hoping to head to fairy cave quarry for a climb next week what's it like after the rain we have had is it dry or is there a lot of seepage that's going to make it bad climbing?

The Pylon King 11 Sep 2021
In reply to Bendb:

When you going? Will probably be dry Sunday but then there is a bit of rain forecast over that way Sunday night into Monday.

OP Bendb 11 Sep 2021
In reply to The Pylon King:

Hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday 

I just remembered reading that after lots of rain it gets seepage

d_b 12 Sep 2021
In reply to Bendb:

When I have been there after rain the big problem has been muddy top outs rather than seepage. The routes themselves are often ok except for a horrific last 2m.

bpmclimb 12 Sep 2021
In reply to Bendb:

> I just remembered reading that after lots of rain it gets seepage

Yes, a bit, but a bigger problem is the tendency for large areas of slab simply to get wet and stay that way. To be sure of finding dry rock you need two or three consecutive days of no rain, relatively low humidity, and a bit of a breeze. Looking at the forecast, I'd probably plan for Thursday or Friday.

bpmclimb 12 Sep 2021
In reply to d_b:

> When I have been there after rain the big problem has been muddy top outs rather than seepage. The routes themselves are often ok except for a horrific last 2m.

That applies in particular to the Glacis. On days like that, if doing several routes on those slabs, it's worth considering a preplaced rope from the top down to the rock, or extending one of the strop belays.

OP Bendb 12 Sep 2021

Cool thanks all was hoping Wednesday but maybe Friday 

bpmclimb 13 Sep 2021
In reply to Bendb:

Although forecast this week seems very uncertain ... keeps changing

OP Bendb 13 Sep 2021
In reply to bpmclimb:

Yep have given up on it we are going to go portland as we know it dyes out quick not so much my kind of climing but still a good day out 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...