El Chorro Floods

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

There were some big floods a couple of weeks ago in El Chorro. The road from El Chorro to the lakes above and Desplomilandia has been badly damaged. It should be repaired by the end of November though.

Some photos here - https://www.rockfax.com/news/2018/11/05/el-chorro-floods/

Alan

Emilio Bachini 05 Nov 2018
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Do you happen to know if the roads to Campillos are damaged in addition to the aforementioned one?

Thanks, Emilio  

Phil1919 05 Nov 2018

Climate Change!

In reply to Emilio Bachini:

> Do you happen to know if the roads to Campillos are damaged in addition to the aforementioned one?

I'm afraid that I don't know this but Campillos was mentioned as being the hardest hit place so I suspect there will be some disruption there.

Alan

Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 05 Nov 2018
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax

Campillos Floods

youtube.com/watch?v=Pe9QrMweyi0&

Thanks nonetheless. 

What’s your thoughts on it not being in the new guidebook? 

> What’s your thoughts on it not being in the new guidebook? 

Do you mean Campillos Gorge?

I thought this place was banned years ago? If not any more then it isn't a place we know anything about so it hasn't been included this time, but wasn't last time either.

Alan

I climbed there once about 5 or 6 years ago, I don’t remember seeing or hearing anything about it being banned but being so long ago I could have easily forgotten. 

In reply to Steve Crowe:

Blimey ! We all stayed in Campillos last time we went to El Chorro. Hope the wonderful Los Choppos is ok........

I drove from Ronda to the Campillos road, past Ardales and on to Malaga the day after the storm and roads all ok . Campillos was one of the most badly hit towns and I think they are still clearing up the sediment and damage

martyn

neilh 06 Nov 2018
In reply to Martyn Nicholson:

In El Chorro from the 18/11 for a week. Any updates would be appreciated 

travelguy 12 Nov 2018

I climbed at Desplo yesterday. Rock was great as usual but the approach trail has been destroyed so you have to scramble over boulders. Not a problem, just be warned. A gully has been eroded down about 20-30 feet as is filled with enourmous boulders (some look like they must weigh several tons each)!

The road from EC to Desplo via the Ardales junction (i.e. going west from EC) is still closed. Instead, go east (past the Olive Branch and Climbing Lodge) and go through Abdelajis. Google maps can show the way. Took me about 35 minutes, probably can do it in 30. Very windy road with single lanes and no visibility around many curves. Be very Careful!

JayAyBee 08 Dec 2018

Update if anyone is interested. The normal road to Desplo is open (or at least you can get through) despite any road signs to the contrary. There are workmen rebuilding the road, so it’s down to one lane and gets occasionally blocked by diggers (they will move for you if you drive up though). On one of the days they had put plastic barriers in the way, but we moved them and drove through, the workmen didn’t seem bothered. 

Emilio Bachini 15 Dec 2018
In reply to JayAyBee:

Further update, the road just past the church after the corner overlooking the gorge and Camino is now fully open and functional.

Not sure if they intend to do any further work but it appears completely finished and no workmen or equipment is up there at the time of writing. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...