El Bon Combat gets second ascent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stp 02 Dec 2018

Jakob Schubert has done Sharma's 9b/+, El Bon Combat, and suggests 9a+.

https://www.planetmountain.com/en/news/climbing/jakob-schubert-repeats-el-b...

jezb1 02 Dec 2018
In reply to stp:

I saw on Insta that Sharma suggests that Schubert is in top form and stronger than he realises, hence why he's suggesting hard 9a+.

Ace looking route regardless!

malk 02 Dec 2018
In reply to stp:

when will get to 10a?

AlanLittle 02 Dec 2018
In reply to malk:

Not until 2021 at least, given that most of the world's best climbers are currently wasting two years training speed for the Olympics.

Post edited at 18:49
OP stp 02 Dec 2018
In reply to jezb1:

> I saw on Insta that Sharma suggests that Schubert is in top form and stronger than he realises, hence why he's suggesting hard 9a+.

Yeah could well be. Schubert is without doubt an outstanding climber. Or it could be the other way round. That is Sharma wasn't in as good a shape as he'd thought and thus found it harder. I don't think he had done much hard routes around the time he did that. Dura Dura was a couple of years before. But who knows? Time will tell.

There's also a project next to El Bon Combat, also bolted by Chris, that's much harder.

That's almost the last of the great Sharma sport routes to be repeated now. Neanderthal still awaits a second ascent but several people have been very close to doing it so the mystique isn't there any more.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...