Ebbor Gorge, Somerset

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SC 14 Feb 2019

Could anyone point me in the direction of information about the newly bolted routes in Ebbor gorge and the access arrangements?

Thanks

elliptic 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Those threads are from a couple of years ago.

Access is officially open now but there don't seem to be any details online yet (names and grades etc) for the lines Matt bolted.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/rad/view.aspx?id=2777

leland stamper 14 Feb 2019
In reply to elliptic:

Matt Cox did all the negotiation and bolting so I am told. I think a lot of us are waiting for a bit more info, although there are 3/4 routes bolted and access is now open

elliptic 14 Feb 2019
In reply to leland stamper:

I should really pop up the road and have a look sometime soon...

Perhaps also worth saying in this thread that the agreement is on a trial basis for the next 12 months (so be well behaved) and public liability insurance is required eg. BMC/MCofS membership, the same as at Cheddar.

OP SC 16 Feb 2019
In reply to elliptic:

I think I'll take a look up there. Is there just the one face in the gorge? I can't remember.

The Ivanator 16 Feb 2019
In reply to SC:

There are quite a few faces with climbing potential in the Gorge (though ivy clearance would be needed to maximise potential), but think the negotiated access is only to a couple of areas. One of the previous threads linked above mentions two bolted areas,  I had a walk there this week and saw one of these - approx. 12m face with two bolted lines on it and another line just right of the bounding arete of the face, routes looked likely to be at least high 6s territory, but hard to be sure. Didn't spot another bolted area, but perhaps missed something/didn't pass it on our walking route.

elliptic 16 Feb 2019
In reply to The Ivanator:

I think it's just the one face on the left side of the narrows that's legit. I had a stroll up today and spotted all five lines - the first two on the left looked like low/mid 6s to me, a bit like the easier Horseshoe Bend routes. Then one up the blunt arete which was probably harder, and two up the fingery wall just right which looked much harder, mid to high 7s I'd guess. That whole wall was seeping badly today though. Definitely looks worth an evening visit in the spring maybe when it's dried out.

The Ivanator 17 Feb 2019
In reply to elliptic:

I guess the two walls would be the adjoining faces left and right of the arete then - didn't look so carefully at the harder wall (facing the narrows). The face with the easier routes was in full sun and looked climbable on the day I was there, the one facing the narrows was shady and coated with a sheen of grey silty mud.

Post edited at 13:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...