Easy jamming cracks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PaulJepson 18 Sep 2019

Can anyone recommend some easy - progressively tricky jamming cracks to have a go at? I've done very little on grit but the past couple of trips have got me wanting to improve my technique. 

For reference:

Amazon Crack (HS 4b) was great but steady (more at this level/a bit harder?)

Hawk's Nest Crack (VS 4c) was desperate 

Fern Crack (VS 5a) I couldn't get off the ground on a trip earlier this year

Offwidth 18 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

Start at Dog Leg Crack at Curbar, if you fail to lead it you need to work on easier stuff. If you succeed, climb it again and again until you have the confidence first to rope solo it and eventually to lap it above a bouldering mat. Then repeat the process for Little Innominate at Curbar and any UK HVS hand crack will be yours. Dawes was right that a good jam is better than a jug but to reach that state of jamming grace you need to build and learn to trust your technique. Some people find jamming gloves helpful.

Post edited at 08:39
 althesin 18 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

There are a few ticklists that you can follow to find good cracks:

WideBoyz Crack School

Is pretty good, gets hard though!

BnB 18 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

At the mild end of the VS scale, I consider this to be the best jamming crack in the Peak, ie I cruised jam after jam with a massive grin on my face once I'd worked out the basics of the technique over some painful humiliations at other venues. 

Byne's Crack (VS 4b)

This is what you're aiming for when you've nailed it

The File (VS 4c)

OP PaulJepson 18 Sep 2019
In reply to BnB:

Yeah I'd wanted to get over to Byne's on the weekend but didn't have time. Had to settle for Mutiny and Amazon crack, which were both ace!

Thing is I wouldn't consider Mutiny Crack a jamming route (maybe a couple to get past the start but after that it's mostly jug-hauling) and Amazon was great jamming until all the other holds and edges appeared, making it a bit easy. I liked the parts where I had both hands and feet in the crack. 

Post edited at 10:32
 nuts and bolts 18 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

Bond Street at Millstone is a bit of a right of passage for the gritstone jammer. 

The final exam is probably The File at Higgar Tor.

Andy Moles 18 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

I've been working on this list: https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=3604 but it's probably a bit thin at the lower end.

Perhaps this thread is a good place to collect some additions.

Bob Kemp 18 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

It's in the nature of jamming cracks that the easier ones are less pure and you have a range of other holds to use. This maybe gives you an opportunity though - following Offwidth's system of repeating routes but omitting holds until you're just using jams. 

Simon Caldwell 18 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

A couple of esoteric options

Baker Street (VS 4c)

Poison (S 4a)

Michael Hood 18 Sep 2019
In reply to nuts and bolts:

Bond Street is harder than The File.

But, The File is probably easier to get horribly wrong and have a mare on than Bond Street.

deacondeacon 18 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

Robin hoods right hand buttress direct is the best easy jamming crack on grit. Nice long route (for grit), on beautiful jams, which feels quite out there.

Lovely. 

In reply to PaulJepson:

Paradise Wall, Stanage, (HS, 4b, ?) should suit well. You can hang off solid jams and place plenty of gear.

Michael Hood 18 Sep 2019
In reply to deacondeacon:

Think I might disagree and suggest Heather Wall @Froggatt has better jamming, but agree with you about the length and the nice "out there" feeling for the grade.

TobyA 18 Sep 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> It's in the nature of jamming cracks that the easier ones are less pure and you have a range of other holds to use.

Dog-Leg Crack (HVD 4a) that Offwidth mentioned above I suspect would be absolutely nails any other way than jamming, if at all possible. I'm sure there are some others similar although DLC comes to mind as I repeated it a couple of times last weekend when bouldering in that area. Interestingly its one of those ones that is in both the bouldering and route guides.

In reply to PaulJepson:

20 Foot Crack (S 4b) at Burbage North is another one of those ones which is a boulder problem or a little route depending on how much you squint, and probably much harder than its given grade if you don't jam. 

In reply to PaulJepson:

Thanks for the suggestions all.

I guess there is a lot to choose from but I was ideally looking in the high HS / low-med VS range rather than the easier end. And as pure as possible in terms of jamming - I don't want to be able to cheat it!

The File is for sure on the list but I'd ideally work up to it. I wont take any pleasure from dogging my way up it. 

Have taped my hands before but to be honest I didn't suffer too much injury doing nothing with them the past 2 weekends and got up 30+ routes, mostly cracks. Nice to have something to show for it anyway, int it. 

graeme jackson 18 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

seeing as the OP didn't specify what sort of gritstone I'd recommend a visit to almscliff.  Loads of jamming at all grades. Try Birds Nest crack for a good easy grade introduction. Pothole direct is another on te same wall albeit slightly harder,

In reply to graeme jackson:

I've only been a few times, so grit is grit to me. I can notice no discernible difference between the rock at the Roaches or Stanage. 

Jon Greengrass 18 Sep 2019
In reply to nuts and bolts:

> The final exam is probably The File at Higgar Tor.

The File is a mild introduction a final exam might be The Vice (E1 5b)

BnB 18 Sep 2019

> seeing as the OP didn't specify what sort of gritstone I'd recommend a visit to almscliff.  Loads of jamming at all grades. Try Birds Nest crack for a good easy grade introduction. Pothole direct is another on te same wall albeit slightly harder,

Seconded. Whisky Crack at HS would be low end VS anywhere else and is a good jamming test for a learner. But those VSs are not low-end by any reckoning. This is the pick of the bunch with fantastic pro all the way. Just don't hang around!

Central Climb (VS 4c)

petemeads 18 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

Great Crack at Dukes Quarry, Whatstandwell - VS 4c or HVS 5a, depending on conditions. Something to aspire to!

Reach>Talent 18 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

Just incase you spot the Ramshaw jamming tick list at about page 200 of the BMC Roaches guide, it is great but treat the grades with a healthy dose of suspicion Masochism is definitely the hardest HVS I have failed on, and I was under the illusion I could jam!

TobyA 18 Sep 2019
In reply to BnB:

> This is the pick of the bunch with fantastic pro all the way. Just don't hang around!

Funny, my logbook notes that I onsighted Central Climb in 2015. I remember going to Almscliff, who I was there with etc. but I really don't remember that route. I guess it must a wiggly crack - they don't seem to stick in my mind as much as straight ones!

TobyA 18 Sep 2019
In reply to petemeads:

> Great Crack at Dukes Quarry, Whatstandwell - VS 4c or HVS 5a,

Is the VS your opinion or has it gone in some guidebook as HVS? I've always head of it as classic HVS and that felt fair when I did it last summer.

Jon Stewart 18 Sep 2019
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> The File is a mild introduction a final exam might be The Vice (E1 5b)

Why is the Vice final exam?  Jamming gets a bit harder than that!

Sentinel Crack (E3 5c) Ramshaw Crack (E4 6a) etc etc. Not my bag mind you...

Jon Stewart 18 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

> I've only been a few times, so grit is grit to me. I can notice no discernible difference between the rock at the Roaches or Stanage. 

The colour?

petemeads 18 Sep 2019
In reply to TobyA:

It was VS in the 70s, the BMC definitive guide has it as HVS 5a but describes it as "a route for the patient VS leader", with the crux just above the ground (and greasy). In the HVS graded list there are only 2 routes easier at this grade. And the protection is magnificent, so well worth the expedition.

Andy Hardy 18 Sep 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Indeed!

Bob Hope (E4 6a)

Exhibit "C" m'lud

Darron 18 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

The excellent but now dated ‘On Peak Rock’ had a list of jamming testpieces through the grades. I think it’s been discussed here before - a search may find it?

Ann S 18 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

If you are ever near Warrington the climbing wall there, North Face Climbing Centre, has a stonkingly good top roped straight crack line which starts with a finger crack and then opens into what, for me was perfect hand and fist jamming. I could never do the finger crack so just climbed anything to get up to the wider section and enjoyed pure hand and foot jamming all the way to the top.

BnB 18 Sep 2019
In reply to TobyA:

> Funny, my logbook notes that I onsighted Central Climb in 2015. I remember going to Almscliff, who I was there with etc. but I really don't remember that route. I guess it must a wiggly crack - they don't seem to stick in my mind as much as straight ones!

It’s convoluted. But everyone remembers it for being bloody steep!

Baron Weasel 18 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

For an 'easy' off width I highly recommend Silver Crack at Froggatt. Guide book says it's off width, off depth, off everything! There's not many HS's where you think about escaping on to an E2!

Baron Weasel 18 Sep 2019

> seeing as the OP didn't specify what sort of gritstone I'd recommend a visit to almscliff.  Loads of jamming at all grades. Try Birds Nest crack for a good easy grade introduction. 

Yes! A very memorable route when a friend and I decided it would be a great idea to solo on sight - there was a lot of ee-by-gum I can tell you!!

Duncan Beard 18 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

I'm on basically the same track. After some time off recovering from elbow tendonitis I've made a list of all the easy cracks that appear to involve jamming at Stanage for starters. I recently started working through them. I don't feel the need to climb harder than VS so my ultimate aim is to climb The File in style, not in fear! I've done quite a few of the Burbage North HS/VS ones in the past but still some to do.

brianjcooper 19 Sep 2019
In reply to Baron Weasel:

> For an 'easy' off width I highly recommend Silver Crack at Froggatt. Guide book says it's off width, off depth, off everything! There's not many HS's where you think about escaping on to an E2!

Bollard Crack tops that for me  

OP PaulJepson 19 Sep 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> The colour?

It's all brown. 

I climbed Hollyash Crack (VS 4b) on the weekend, which was pretty fun, but I'm more in the search for 'perfect hands', rather than grunting and getting my legs stuck. 

Post edited at 07:48
 nuts and bolts 19 Sep 2019

My point about the "final exam" was that the OP is at the start of his voyage of discovering the delights of jamming and I think it is fair to say that once you can climb Bond St and The File in good style then you can claim that you are a competent jammer. After that it is a case of looking for jams at every opportunity and trying harder stuff. 

ChrisBrooke 19 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

Brown's Crack (HS 4b) is quite a good'un.

In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Yeah I've done that and it was great. Nearly fell out at the top where it rounds out!

Jon Stewart 19 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

> It's all brown. 

At the Roaches it's pink, at Stanage it's golden, at Caley it's green, and on Barden Moor and Thorn Crag it's silver.

> I climbed Hollyash Crack (VS 4b) on the weekend, which was pretty fun, but I'm more in the search for 'perfect hands', rather than grunting and getting my legs stuck. 

Have you done Hell Crack (VS 4c)? Very steep jamming for a couple of moves, then more jamming, but with breaks. Count's Crack (VS 4c) is good too - again not pure jamming, but definitely still a good VS jamming crack. 

ChrisBrooke 19 Sep 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Count's Crack (VS 4c) is good too - again not pure jamming, but definitely still a good VS jamming crack. 

My logbook notes: 'provides bounteous, unfalloffable jams'.....so probably a good one to try

In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thanks for the recommendation of Count's Crack (VS 4c). I was going to look at Hell Crack on the weekend but there was an endless queue of people on it.

Post edited at 11:26
 graeme jackson 19 Sep 2019
In reply to Baron Weasel:

> For an 'easy' off width I highly recommend Silver Crack at Froggatt. Guide book says it's off width, off depth, off everything! There's not many HS's where you think about escaping on to an E2!

It's only 'easy' if you're wearing big boots. 

full stottie 19 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

I "enjoyed" Brown's Crack at Bamford. (Ooops - I missed the earlier mention of this)

Post edited at 16:43
 Dave Garnett 19 Sep 2019
In reply to Reach>Talent:

> Just incase you spot the Ramshaw jamming tick list at about page 200 of the BMC Roaches guide, it is great but treat the grades with a healthy dose of suspicion Masochism is definitely the hardest HVS I have failed on, and I was under the illusion I could jam!

If you don't know Ramshaw, start with the Crank.  That should give you an indication of whether it's worth trying the HVSs.

Offwidth 19 Sep 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

There are some OK sub VS jamming cracks at Ramshaw. The Crank 5a move is best laybacked by all but masochists so only really 4c jamming then. As for the HVS climbs, on that subject, Masochism is a silly joke grade (more like E2).

In reply to deacondeacon:

> Robin hoods right hand buttress direct is the best easy jamming crack on grit. Nice long route (for grit), on beautiful jams, which feels quite out there.

> Lovely. 

It's not really jamming at all. But lovely at c. diff. You just walk up a furrow on huge rounded holds in balance all the way. Tech difficulty about 2a.

brianjcooper 19 Sep 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> It's not really jamming at all. But lovely at c. diff. You just walk up a furrow on huge rounded holds in balance all the way. Tech difficulty about 2a.

I would liken it to climbing up a series of Elephant's arseholes. classic grit.

In reply to Offwidth:

I didn't dream of doing a hard layback anywhere on The Crank; it's simply very good jamming, getting a bit awkwardly wide at the top - but then of course you just drop back to some very old fashioned offwidth jamming techniques for a move or two. (Kind of Ogwen v.diff stuff.)

In reply to brianjcooper:

That's quite a good description ... not that I have any experience of climbing an elephant's arsehole.

In reply to PaulJepson:

One of the best good jamming cracks I can remember in the Peak was the Pisa Superdirect (sorry, couldn't get link to climb to work ... really pissing me off) on Shining Clough. Another total classic is the first pitch of Valkyrie at Froggatt. About the same standard as The Crank, IIRC.

Post edited at 20:45
In reply to PaulJepson:

The best easy jamming crack on Peak grit is surely Answer Crack (H V Diff) at Dovestones.

Sean Kelly 19 Sep 2019

> The File is a mild introduction a final exam might be.

Err... I think Fingerlicker at Tremadog might be an an even sterner test of jamming skills!

TobyA 20 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

I did Brookside Crack (VD) tonight at Froggatt. I was a bit late so needed to use my head torch but thought it was a really nice little route, not quite as pure as Dog-Leg at Curbar, but jamming was very much the way to do it.

alan moore 20 Sep 2019

I find thin-hands cracks (where you can't quite get the meat of your thumb inside), like P1 of Valkyrie, really hard. The Crank has one thin-hands move off the ground and then you are in up to your wrists and it's easy. 

Im sure Difficulty must be hand-size related.

Offwidth 20 Sep 2019

My experience matched Alan's: the first jam felt a bit thin  and insecure so I laybacked (easy 5a)  a couple of moves and jammed the rest.

spartacus 20 Sep 2019

> That's quite a good description ... not that I have any experience of climbing an elephant's arsehole.

You’ve not been in business then !

brianjcooper 20 Sep 2019

> That's quite a good description ... not that I have any experience of climbing an elephant's arsehole.

Rounded and worn 

Reach>Talent 20 Sep 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

Interesting, I had always assumed the crux of the Crank was higher up near the move right. I found the thin start fairly straightforward jamming and I have really large hands, but i may have reached past the tricky bit.

Dave Garnett 20 Sep 2019
In reply to Reach>Talent:

> Interesting, I had always assumed the crux of the Crank was higher up near the move right.

I have small hands, so that's how it feels to me. 

On the plus side, I can get my fingers into the start of Foord's Folly without any problem.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...