Easiest 6c and easiest 7a on Portland.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike lawrence? 31 Dec 2020

As a late xmas present to my friend FakeTom i thought i would give him two targets for this year, an easy 6c and an easy 7a on Portland to aim for. Obviously this is not totally objective but i'd be interested in suggestions. He's about 6 ft and is an all round climber so probably sustained rather than cruxy, he's not a trad climber so probably a wall not a crack.

Any suggestions?

thanks

mike

Cyrees 31 Dec 2020
In reply to mike lawrence?:

The Accelerator is technically 7a, easier for the tall, and short. However sure to be downgraded soon - it's actually about 6c.

Martin Bagshaw 31 Dec 2020

Sacred Angel (7a)

Beer and corruption at Blacknor North also.

Post edited at 14:30
 SFrancis 31 Dec 2020

I suggest two absolute classics that are bottom end of the grade for 7a 

To Wish the Impossible (7a) and Jurassic Shift (7a)

He may as well do Buoys will be Buoys (6b+) whilst he’s at battleship, as if he does that he’s definitely ready for 6c and it’s one of the finest routes in the isle. Same goes for Burning Skies (6c), in fact 6b+ is one of the best grade on the island. 

A 6c i thought was not too bad at all and really enjoyed this year was The Long Walk (6c). Mainly on jugs but slightly steep, if you pardon the cliche, it’s one of those “hidden gems”.

Post edited at 16:18
 dan gibson 31 Dec 2020

Shit Route (7a)

Doesn't get much better than this... 

Mark Stevenson 31 Dec 2020

Wolfgang Forever (7a)

An absolute classic at the bottom end of the grade, quality wall climbing with no obvious crux

Also my first f7a onsight nearly a couple of decades ago... 

Emilio Bachini 31 Dec 2020
In reply to dan gibson:

A bit of a low crux followed by nothing special if my memory serves me well....

Emilio Bachini 31 Dec 2020
In reply to SFrancis:

I second The Long Walk. I try to do it every time I'm near by, although it doesn't start off too strongly, the top isn't exceptional and very unique for the area at the grade. 

steve taylor 01 Jan 2021
In reply to Martin Bagshaw:

It might interest you to find out why the route Beer and Corruption (7a) is so-named... 

Pretty easy for 7a IMHO.

Sacred Angel can feel tricky for those who struggle with route-finding or small holds. 

dinodinosaur 01 Jan 2021

At 6ft they are all easy for 7a right?  

Mick Ward 02 Jan 2021
In reply to dinodinosaur:

Thus speaks wisdom!

Mick (5' 6")

Derry 02 Jan 2021

One of my first was Tug on This Jody (7a). Boulder start to a massive jug/rest and nice headwall to finish. First 7a I did in one session. 

Also Sacred Angel (7a) was another first, but took me a few sessions. Big rest on a ledge before the crux section which is short lived (especially for a 6 footer)

And as said before The Accelerator (7a) which is super low in the grade, and you can tentatively clip the anchor from above for a top rope practice. 

Enjoy

dinodinosaur 03 Jan 2021
In reply to Mick Ward:

Snap! (Also 5'6").

In real reply to the OP it's not strictly portland, but Peppercorn Rate (7a) at winspit is definitely something that should be on your mates radar as should be Ancient Order of Freemarblers (7a). It's not 7a but Red Rain (6c+) is a great route and pretty much there! 

OliverRoss 04 Jan 2021

Last Rose of Summer (7a) I think remains the only 7a I've fluked an onsight of. It's slabby so there's a bit of time to think about the moves.

Nic 04 Jan 2021
In reply to OliverRoss:

Another vote for Last Rose...I onsighted it when on-sighting 7a was not my norm (so, er, my entire climbing life...); however, I am 6'0" with a +4 ape factor which made the blind move to the (beta alert!) hidden crux hold a lot easier. I was so surprised to latch it that I pretty much campused the rest of it in shock, I recall it was sustained but never desperate, and with a modicum of technique is probably quite straightforward.

Nic 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Mick Ward:

5'6"?! Respect for your achievements on Portland! Mind you, as weight increases with the cube of height you probably weigh half of what I do!

Emilio Bachini 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Emilio Bachini:

*is exceptional....

I hope everyone who read my first comment reads this one too. I hope I haven't put anyone off, it's well worth doing. 

dinodinosaur 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Nic:

It's funny because I tried it when I was onsighting 7a regularly and was quite hilariously shut down on the onsight of this route and I think I barely made it to the top 😂 but slabby vert terrain on small holds was never my forte

tclewis 11 Jan 2021

Barbed Wire Kisses (7a+) is the easiest 7a I've been on. 

Derry 11 Jan 2021
In reply to tclewis:

> Barbed Wire Kisses (7a+) is the easiest 7a I've been on. 

might have a go at that. Low in the grade, low crux - my kind of climbing!

Alkis 11 Jan 2021
In reply to OliverRoss:

The Accelerator (7a)

Even easier than Last Rose. Should have flashed it but I hadn't done any route climbing in a long while before jumping on it.

The Oldest Profession 7a (Blacknor South)

Thanks for all the suggestions. Once lockdown is over we'll discuss and pick a couple and enjoy ourselves whatever happens.

mike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...