Dove Holes (Dovedale)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jaipur 02 Nov 2020

Can anybody tell me how many bolts there are on The Bat at Dove Holes please? I’d drive out and check myself if I could keep dry...

Babika 02 Nov 2020
In reply to jaipur:

Why? ?

Have you got a very limited number of quick draws? 

OP jaipur 02 Nov 2020
In reply to Babika:no, have you got an unusually low number of brain cells? I have plenty of quick draws and was just asking out of curiosity in case I decided to drive down from Inverness to do it.

wilkie14c 02 Nov 2020
In reply to jaipur:

not exact but from memory, there are roughly 10

Bacon Butty 02 Nov 2020
In reply to jaipur:

Are you planning on hibernating over the winter dangling from the roof?

Coz Sturgeon won't let you go back home 🙃

JimR 02 Nov 2020
In reply to Bacon Butty:

Inverness to dove dale to swing on a couple of bolts😀he’d be better off aiding the Kessock bridge

mcdougal 02 Nov 2020
In reply to jaipur:

I'm not seeing your correlation between bolts and brain cells, but I reckon the number will probably be between 5 and 30.

Take all your brain cells. 

beardy mike 03 Nov 2020
In reply to jaipur:

Enough that it's worth only clipping the rope through every second bolt to avoid ropedrag. I'd have thought if you do this 20 quickdraws would be more than enough.

In reply to jaipur:

Take a long clipstick and you can clip the anchor!!

beardy mike 03 Nov 2020
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Although if you did this and then "top roped it" and somehow contrived to fall off, your sorry ass would drag all along the floor of the cave until you reached the river

JimR 03 Nov 2020
In reply to beardy mike:

Many years ago Martin and I did Adjudicator Wall and wall of Straws then the rain started,  we did the Bat and then competed for the biggest swing from the back of the cave whilst being top roped from the final belay😀

beardy mike 03 Nov 2020
In reply to JimR:

I’m betting your culottes were well greased after that...

In reply to beardy mike:

Be more fun than driving all the way from Scotland to aid across a roof. Might make a swing there.

Ian Parsons 03 Nov 2020
In reply to JimR:

Yes; not one to let any crag time go unused, is he!

muppetfilter 04 Nov 2020
In reply to jaipur:

Why not use two Gri Gris plus etriers to go bolt to bolt and trail the rope clipping single carabiners into each bolt ? Ive used this system several times on Kyrie Elison in Thors Cave

Michael Hood 04 Nov 2020
In reply to muppetfilter:

The thread at the end of Kyrie Elison also makes a good point to have a swing from, the ground drops away nicely just outside the cave entrance so it's quite nicely exposed.

Michael Hood 04 Nov 2020

I remember easy-rider etriers (I think that's what they were called) - single adjustable foot loop.

Paul Parker (of Leicester's Bowline) used to solo things like Mecca and The Prow with them after the sunday lunchtime pub visit. Mind you there were lots of things that Paul (still with us I believe) used to do which us newbies found a bit unnerving - he wasn't what you'd describe as risk averse 😁

Post edited at 19:58
 muppetfilter 04 Nov 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

I've never heard of them, Did they have a buckle at the top of the footloop ? I had a google but everything I could find under "easy Rider footloop" looked like it was more suitable atire for the Blue Oyster Bar out of Police Academy.

petemeads 04 Nov 2020

I used easy rider aiders for a few years, including Malham and El Capitan routes, a buckle and one loop for your thigh or foot as necessary - much better than etriers. Made by Troll perhaps? To Mike Hood - PP is probably still with us, we bike together most Tuesdays in the summer but I wimped out of the last one and haven't heard he came to grief during...

Michael Hood 05 Nov 2020
In reply to petemeads:

Actually thinking back it may not have been PP who had the easy-riders. Might have been Ray Dring, he was always buying the latest gadget like the talking rope.

Rog Wilko 05 Nov 2020
In reply to JimR:

> Inverness to dove dale to swing on a couple of bolts😀he’d be better off aiding the Kessock bridge

Makes you wonder who's short of brain cells, doesn't it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...