Don Whillans and Chris Bonnington climbing on tv

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
markwynneuk 18 Jun 2020

If you have never seen this then it worth a watch. Can you imagine using the belay he does at the top with a second as heavy as Don Whillans. The confidence they both must have had!

youtube.com/watch?v=6NBdLNw4ULw&

Iamgregp 18 Jun 2020
In reply to markwynneuk:

I've not seen that actually, many thanks for posting!

MB42 18 Jun 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

The whole lakeland rock series is good;

Bill Peascod climbing in socks

youtube.com/watch?v=gdW0Y_HbsiM&

And Pete Livesy 'encouraging' Bonnington up footless crow with the suggestion he should dangle a pound note over the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtgvwb8VGJU&t=683s

Theres a few more if you track down the dvd

Tom Valentine 18 Jun 2020
In reply to markwynneuk:

I mentioned that "spike" the last time this topic came up. I'm sure it didn'tb really happen.

In reply to markwynneuk:

Excellent. A classic from Don “climbing like a ruptured duck”

Andy Hardy 18 Jun 2020
In reply to markwynneuk:

I would love to see their risk assessment and method statement!

In reply to MB42:

Re recent threads on Don - he was a diamond and incredibly entertaining in this series, and on other films with Joe. I loved his lectures. Hilarious, let alone his talented climbing.

The Lakeland Rock series was superb, I know some of the people who helped make it.
Bill and Chris on Eagle Front was very poignant, I wish Bill had been with us longer.
For someone who stared at High Stile and High Crag from his bedroom window as a kid I feel a close attachment to all these things.
Bill's new routes and his art were top class.
Eagle Front is a beautiful and enjoyable climb - in the dry!! Desperate in the wet.

On Chris's 50th birthday, he had been out and done Cruel Sister with Jim Loxham RIP, Bonners was determined to lead a "modern" E3 on his 50th birthday. Tony Greenbank and I took photos from Arcturus. I still have all the pics - they will go in a book one day, I hope.

Back at Chris's birthday party I was fortunate to meet Bill, such a lovely bloke. I commented that Dexter Wall was surely serious 5a when he did the first ascent. It was a great pleasure to talk to him, and also to see the exhibition of Bill's incredible artworks at Cockermouth after his untimely death, so sad.

DC

Skyfall 18 Jun 2020
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

Thanks for the detail on Bill and Chris, and I love Lakeland Rock.  

Peascod’s women are superb routes, those I have done, and Dexter Wall one of my early and technically hardest VS’s (hopefully I’ll repeat it before too long).

J Brown 19 Jun 2020
In reply to markwynneuk:

I really enjoyed that - thanks for posting!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...