Don Robinson RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ams 19 Apr 2019

Sad news, Don Robinson has died, aged 91.  Until the end he was always pleased to see climbers, cavers, mountain rescue team members, and all his old friends, and reminisce with them.

May he rest in peace.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/how_the_leeds_wall_changed_cli... 

Greenbanks 19 Apr 2019
In reply to ams:

Yes - he played a subtle role in changing the face of rock climbing. A really decent chap, who rightfully ought to be remembered fondly for this.

RIP

In reply to ams:

Sad to hear this, I often worked with Don 15-25 years ago and he had the affectionate nickname within the route setting crew of 'Captain Snuggles', which I guess says a lot about him. 

Edit: If anyone hears about the funeral arrangements please post as I would love to pay my respects if I can.

Post edited at 16:35
 Derek Furze 19 Apr 2019
In reply to ams:

Great post - a reminder of what Don delivered - thanks

cragtyke 20 Apr 2019
In reply to ams:

Sad news indeed, had a great day with Don touring the DR walls at Rothwell, Richard Dunn and Guiseley to persuade (successfully) the project architect for Barnsley Metrodome to include a climbing wall in the plans. This included getting Streaky Destroy to climb that horrible chimney at the Richard Dunn wall.

I really enjoyed those walls.Back in the day we had to invent our own problems, tell that to the kids today and they wouldn't believe you. I can still remember problems and holds from those walls, much as I can favourite boulder problems outside, the balance footholds as mentioned in Mick's article, the overhanging jamming slots under the slab at Rothwell , the feature wall at Barnsley etc.

As Mick said in the article the importance of those walls and Don's contribution can't be overstated.

zoobizooretta 23 Apr 2019

Don Robinson - After life party

It is with great sadness that we inform you that Don passed away peacefully on the morning of Tuesday 16th April.

We would like to invite you to gather together to share memories of this remarkable man.

Please bring any pictures or items to share your memories of Don as we will be inviting everyone to share stories from his

life, whether that is something you wish to prepare in advance or just comes to you at the time.

Any enquiries, please contact Ruth at Full Circle Funerals on 01943 262626.

Monday 29th April

4 – 4.30pm Arrival at Gamekeepers Lodge – light refreshments

4.30pm Sharing memories of Don

If you know you would like to speak please let Jenny know via text message on 07745031193. Anyone else will then be

welcome to share thoughts and memories as they feel inspired to do.

6.30pm Buffet served and Jazz Band

Tuesday 30th April

As Don’s burial place overlooks Ingleborough, a hill he climbed many, many times, Jenny and Rebecca will be going up
Ingleborough and invite you to join us for all or part of the way and bring anything you would like to commemorate Don

with at the top (for the sake of the environment please no balloons/lanterns).

Meet at Ingleton Car Park at 11am.

We look forward to seeing you, from Jenny and Rebecca.

Post edited at 17:06

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...