Don Hopkin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I am trying to source a picture of the late Don Hopkin (one of the "Bradford Lads"), ideally a portrait taken ca 1952. This is for a non profit making historical project I am working on.

I believe his children are climbers and I wondered if anyone on here knows them, or maybe they look on here themselves?

Martin Bennett 02 Dec 2018
In reply to Cumbrian Climber:

No pictures or help of any kind I'm afraid but you've reminded me I climbed in parties including Don in my very early days in the mid sixties, he being a friend of one of my early mentors. A very nice bloke, he was exceptionally short sighted. Once when he dropped his glasses whilst leading a route at Oxenber (probably a first ascent - the crag wasn't in the first Yorkshire Limestone guide) he was stuck until I climbed up behind him to hand them back - couldn't see a thing!

Good luck in your hunt and with your publication - sounds as though it'll make an interesting read.

In reply to Martin Bennett:

Thanks, that's interesting. Do you know of anyone else around at that time who might have a photo?

Mick Ward 04 Dec 2018

I believe that, a while back, John Appleby, who does the Footless Crow website (and is on Facebook), received a trove of historical material (writing, photos, etc) from Maureen Drasdo, wife of the late Harold Drasdo. There may have been Bradford Lads photos in it - and possibly one of Don Hopkin. A bit of a long shot, I know, but, in any case, John will be sympathetic towards what you're doing and may have other ideas also.

Good luck with it!

Mick

Martin Bennett 04 Dec 2018

No, sorry, the only one who might have would be Tom who was my link, but I lost touch with him 50 years ago. 

Post edited at 11:00
In reply to Mick Ward:

Thanks Mick - I'll try him.

In reply to Martin Bennett:

> No, sorry, the only one who might have would be Tom who was my link, but I lost touch with him 50 years ago. 

Tom who? would that be please Martin?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...