Descent from Ben Nevis back into North Face

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil Lyon 23 Jul 2021

I believe in winter people descend gully 4 to get back down to the hut, but in summer if I had just topped out on Tower Ridge and wanted to get back down to the hut area, which is my best (i.e. quickest but without a paraglider) way. 

Hex a metre 23 Jul 2021
In reply to Phil Lyon:

I've run down the slopes underneath Carn Mor Dearg in the past. Looks a little steep but it's fine. 

Tourist path is ok if you're in running shoes; it's painful in boots if you're hurrying.

I believe Ledge Route is also used as a descent but I imagine route-finding will be tricky if you don't know the route well. 

Come to that, TR is itself very reversible if you're not in a queue, I would have thought. Haven't reversed it myself, though.

alexcollins123 23 Jul 2021
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Down CMD to the col then straight down into the valley.  Pretty shitty but doable, and more pleasant than trudging across the moor from the lake.

olddirtydoggy 23 Jul 2021
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Coming back down off the lake can be a crappy moorland trudge and a bad river crossing if you hit the water at the wrong random point. Off the CMD route and down the col as stated above.

rif 23 Jul 2021
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Ledge Route down past the narrow bit then the long traverse path to the lochan in Coire na Ciste

PaulJepson 23 Jul 2021
In reply to Phil Lyon:

I've descended the tourist path to the lake and then follow the slope down north from there. Bit of a bog-trot but angle isn't bad and you mostly follow a stream. It does unfortunately leave you quite a way down the valley though, with a slog back up to the hut. 

Offwidth 23 Jul 2021
In reply to Hex a metre:

Ledge Route is OK in summer in good visibility for the west side of the N face: roughly east down the ridge from the NW summit of Carn Dearg, down the ridge until it widens out above the big cliff of Carn Dearg Buttress, then contour roughly south across No.6 gully to Coire na Ciste. There have been quite a few accidents so it needs care and experience in poor vis.   The CMD arete descent into Coire Leis is better for the eastern side of the N face (eg NE Buttress). I've also done No.4 descent in summer and never ever want to do it again.

OP Phil Lyon 23 Jul 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

I've read of people descending gully 3 in summer, but that sounds no more appealing than 4, considering the terrain you're descending below.

Also, I've read mention of abseil posts from CMD area; do they still exist?

BruceM 23 Jul 2021
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Ledge Route traversing out across #5 gully avoiding bottom slab, but if not confident there use CMD start then down Coire Leis.  Ab poles not there or needed.  Just steep scree below a cairn.  Watch for rockfall.

Martin W 23 Jul 2021
In reply to Hex a metre:

> ...TR is itself very reversible

And in fact that was the the first way it was 'done'.

Sean Kelly 24 Jul 2021
In reply to alexcollins123:

> Down CMD to the col then straight down into the valley.  Pretty shitty but doable, and more pleasant than trudging across the moor from the lake.

If you mean where the old abseil posts were then any descent here requires great care as there are lots of hidden steep drops. Only been up it but not recommended as it is also quite loose in places and any slip not easy to halt! Beware!!!

Offwidth 24 Jul 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I just followed the guidebook recommend side (can't remember which it was) and it was OK but a long passage on loose stuff.  It was nothing like as terror inducing as No.4.  Ledge Route was much more pleasant but I've never done it in mist (where accidents have happened). I've just realised my clumsy fingers gave Number Five Gully an extra point above, apologies.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...