Craig ddu route anthropology

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SATTY 15 May 2021

Looking through my 70s photos showed myself climbing a route called anthropology, an excellent route, however in ukc listing for the crag not even mentioned. Checking the 1966 Llanberis north guide clearly listed  so what happened to it

BenTiffin 15 May 2021

Rift Wall (VS 5a)In reply to SATTY:I’ve not checked the database but I know it is also called Rift Wall.  I think there were two separate first ascent claims.

Rob Parsons 15 May 2021
In reply to SATTY:

It's listed under its (long-standing) alternative name 'Rift Wall.'

AlanLittle 15 May 2021
In reply to SATTY:

Listed under both names in the 82 Paul Williams guide

oldie 16 May 2021
In reply to SATTY:

Can't remember precise details. However I think Anthropology may have been a Menlove Edwards route which was later named Rift Wall by someone unaware of the first ascent?

Mick Ward 16 May 2021
In reply to oldie:

Paul Williams' excellent Llanberis guide gives Rift Wall, by Menlove Edwards and partners, in 1949, rediscovered by Joe Brown in 1952 and called Anthropology. Did it in the early '70s but can't remember much about it other than it being good (and a bit strenuous?)

Hope this helps.

Mick

Martin Bennett 16 May 2021
In reply to Mick Ward:

Me too. The oracle that is my UKC logbook tells me it was Oct 1971. Maybe we followed you up it.

I think in whatever CC guide was current at the time it was listed as Rift Wall (Anthropology). Or maybe it was the Ron James selected climbs book. Was that published by 1971? Edit: just looked and it was 1970 and in it the route is simply called Anthropolgy. FA Menlove Edwards 1949.

Post edited at 09:54
 Sean Kelly 16 May 2021
In reply to Mick Ward:

An overhanging short corner I seem to recall and quite strenuous at that. It was Anthropology when I did it in the late 60's, but the original name now used. I think Joe Brown & Nat Allen thought it was new, but there was so little feedback in those days.

Just checked Roscoe's Llanberis North and it was Anthropology, but with the note that Rift Wall done in 1949 '...covered much of the same ground'.

Post edited at 09:55
 Michael Hood 16 May 2021
In reply to SATTY:

1978 Geoff Milburn Llanberis Pass guide:

• Route listed as "Rift Wall (Anthropology)"
  • History section has 1949 July 29 Rift Wall J M Edwards... and the note says Re-discovered by J Brown in 1952 and called Anthropology
 CantClimbTom 16 May 2021
In reply to SATTY:

Sounds like UKC route listing should be updated to mention for a while it had an alternative name of Anthropology.

Post edited at 19:39
In reply to SATTY:

I remember seconding my brother up it and finding it hard. My logbook for 4th Sept, 1972: 'Fully lived up to its reputation of "the hardest VS in the Pass"!'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...