Costa blank

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Keef1973 21 May 2019

Me’nt lass are just completing a week in the Costa Blanca, having not been for over a decade. 

We’ve been surprised to see only a handful of other climbers over the course of the week.

Admittedly we’ve steered clear of the likes of Sella but have been to Toix, Gandia, Marin   And Echo Valley. Each time we’ve either had the crag totally to ourselves or just seen a couple of other local Spanish climbers.

Is this normal these days? I would have thought May was a busy time here. certainly used to be when I’ve been in the past.

Mark Eddy 21 May 2019
In reply to Keef1973:

I'm just back from CB too and had the crags to ourselves. Although if you'd been on El Peñon the previous weekend that would've been heaving busy, they held the annual climbing rally there then!

Maybe even the locals were on the north facing/shady crags. Most days it was feeling too hot to climb anything particularly hard in the sun.

Winters are often pretty busy

OP Keef1973 21 May 2019
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Weather wise we’ve only had one day at 24° rest of the time it’s been about 20-23° and nice to climb in. 

Must be a winter destination like you say.

one thing that’s surprised me is the amount of ring bolts and rethreading we’ve had to do. I thought I recalled it being mainly clip and go.

maybe I’m mistaking it with Kalymnos

Mark Eddy 21 May 2019
In reply to Keef1973:

I noticed a few of the lower offs at Toix have been recently upgraded to ring bolts. The old snap gate biners are still there and provide good evidence why a ring bolt is so much better! Clearly many people do 'clip and go' as you mention. This has caused the metal to wear away rather alarmingly. 

bonebag 21 May 2019
In reply to Keef1973:

Have been in November and February and had Echo 1.5 to ourselves. Never been in May as thought it might be too hot with the sun on the crag.

Mike-W-99 21 May 2019
In reply to Keef1973:

We were there last November and thought it seemed much quieter than normal.

Mind you the rather bracing temperatures and wind at  Reconco caused everyone except us to make an early exit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...