Completing ticklists

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 25 Sep 2020

Surprised to discover I've completed 3 of the ticklists I subscribe to on UKC. I expect many others can claim more so I may just have to claim the record for longest time to complete a ticklist - 46 years 5 months 20 days at the time of posting for 23 routes (most ticked routes on UKC.)

Michael Gordon 25 Sep 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> 46 years 5 months 20 days 

Wow, has UKC been going that long?

Martin Bennett 25 Sep 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Nice work. I just had a look - I too have done 'em all but it took me only 31 years starting 1965 with Little Chamonix and finishing 1996 with Knight's Move of which I have no recollection whatsoever but it's at Burbage it seems. What and when were your first and last?

Rick Graham 25 Sep 2020
In reply to Martin Bennett:

> Nice work. I just had a look - I too have done 'em all but it took me only 31 years starting 1965 with Little Chamonix and finishing 1996 with Knight's Move of which I have no recollection whatsoever but it's at Burbage it seems. What and when were your first and last?

1969 for little cham and 2019 for knights move for me, do I get a prize?

Tbh I did km last year because everybody on here seemed to enthuse about it and I could not for the life of me remember ever doing it.

OP Rog Wilko 25 Sep 2020

Now I've looked at the dates I find my 46 years is all to cock. I see that the only one done this century (2017) is Little Cham, which coincidentally was my first (and first ever climb) in 1968, but UKC chooses to ignore that. So in reality my last one was Tody's Wall in July 1997 and my total time was a mere 29 years or so. Shame, as 46 years might have taken some beating.

Knight's Move is a bit unmemorable, unless it is your first lead at the grade (which it commonly is) or, as in my case, your leader took a fall and you had to take over at the sharp end (as happened to me).

My other two completions are

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=1661

Though I have to admit it took me more than a day. Only two other completers.

And

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=1976 

Only one other completer.

In reply to Rog Wilko:

Ha ha - I've one to do of that Langdale list at Stickle Barn Crag and if I were to do it this year - and I had thought of it on Monday but having parked at the bridge we went elsewhere - it'd be a 55 year completion from Bilberry in 1965. That'd even beat Rick's 50 year one he reported above.

Hadn't seen the Libby one but just clicked in and yep - done 'em all, but only across 43 years from 1966 to 2009

Looking at the responders begs the question: is it only Lakeland climbers who take so long? 

In reply to Rick Graham:

> 1969 for little cham and 2019 for knights move for me, do I get a prize?

Deserves a prize until someone beats your 50 year span.

NB - watch this space - as mentioned in my reply to Rog I've one to do on a list he mentions which even if I did it now would take me to a 55 year span.

Graeme Hammond 25 Sep 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Good work,

On a related note: you can currently see the names of completists (if ticklist are not hidden on a user's profile) at the bottom of a ticklist. I always thought it would be cool to compare with your mates or have a top ten of "nearly-completed" for some friendly competition... who's closest to completing Extreme Rock etc. A top 10 might be good, and anyone who has completed it would be listed under the 1st category. If noone has completed it the person with the highest percentage would be listed 1st instead. Only including people who have made their ticklist subscriptions public, perhaps. 

Sean Kelly 25 Sep 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Surprised to discover I've completed 3 of the ticklists I subscribe to on UKC. I expect many others can claim more so I may just have to claim the record for longest time to complete a ticklist - 46 years 5 months 20 days at the time of posting for 23 routes (most ticked routes on UKC.)

By coincidence my one certain ticklist  (the Munros) also took 46 years!

Just checked the quoted ticklist and it has only taken me 43 years but i have never been in a rush with these things.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=90

Post edited at 20:16
In reply to Rog Wilko:

>

> And

> Only one other completer.

Now 2 other completers since I checked into it Rog. 

Post edited at 20:19
 Andypeak 25 Sep 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

According to one of mine I've been completing it for 50 years. I've only been climbing 11 years and am only in my 30s. I think there might be a glitch somewhere. 

tjekel 28 Sep 2020
In reply to Andypeak:

Thats true - the glitch. One of my ticklists (alpine multipitch only, not completed) tells me i'm 48 years 7 months away doing it. Accordingly, i started alpine multipitch climbing at the tender age of one year, 3 months... Obviously the only noteworthy alpinistic feat of mine, were it not for a calculation error. 

Michael Hood 29 Sep 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I've definitely done all 23 but no idea how long my "span" is because I don't log routes on here. Nowhere near your 46 years since I'm sure none of them are recent new routes for me.

C Witter 29 Sep 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

What do you think to this "Lakeland Apprenticeship" ticklist, Rog? https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=4420

Anything you'd add/take out?

Phil Lyon 30 Sep 2020

Why is Pulpit Route in the Classic Rock Ticklist? It's not in my copy of the book, except as "other climbs round here worth doing".

In reply to Phil Lyon:

The Ivy Chimney is in Classic Rock which is the 4th pitch on Pulpit Route.

Graham 

Rick51 30 Sep 2020

> Deserves a prize until someone beats your 50 year span.

> NB - watch this space - as mentioned in my reply to Rog I've one to do on a list he mentions which even if I did it now would take me to a 55 year span.

Inverted Vee, October 69 - Bishop's Route, June 20 "50 stars in 20 routes Stanage Popular" but quite a non-climbing gap involved.

What do I win?

tehmarks 01 Oct 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

On ticklists in general, does anyone else use private ticklists do keep themselves motivated and positive? I have a tradition of creating a ticklist at the start of the year, for 50 grit routes I aspire to do that year. Ideally a mix of all the various subcategories of gritstone - natural, quarried, friendly, remote, etc - and a good range of all the different subtleties of gritstone - perfect hand cracks, steep flake-pulling, slabs, thrutching, etc. The rules are quite fluid, but ideally there'll be a spread of all grades, mod upwards, there'll be good body of routes at my current onsight limit, and there'll be a couple of routes I really aspire to pushing my grade on in the purest style. They all have to be onsight, with special exeptions for routes that I've seconded and thought were mega and need to be done in a better style, and routes that I've failed on and have a grudge with.

I've never completed one entire ticklist yet - but it certainly works for having goals in sight, getting mileage in and having something to turn to when you're at the crag and not sure what you fancy doing!

munkins 01 Oct 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Surprised to discover I've completed 3 of the ticklists I subscribe to on UKC. I expect many others can claim more so I may just have to claim the record for longest time to complete a ticklist - 46 years 5 months 20 days at the time of posting for 23 routes (most ticked routes on UKC.)

I've never ticked or recorded a single route. I reckon I've climbed somewhere between 1000 to 10000 routes, in 10-30 different countries. I know what my best on sights are though.

Baron Weasel 01 Oct 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I completed the Scottish Sea stack trilogy a couple of weeks ago with an ascent of Am Buachaille. Feel more like I've started something rather than completed it as the boys and I are now looking to Ireland for more stack climbing... 

Cog 01 Oct 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> By coincidence my one certain ticklist  (the Munros) also took 46 years!

I've taken 54 years so far and not done half of them, but did 8 last month.

C Witter 02 Oct 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

Yes - I do something similar! Ticklists for a new year, ticklists for breaking into a new grade, ticklists for climbing trips abroad. It's a good way to procrastinate at work... and the better half of my climbing happens in my daydreams...

veteye 02 Oct 2020
In reply to Cog:

Munros:- 42 years so far, but I may get them, I may not. Got 52 left to bag.

Done some several times, but when I repeated them, usually it was not feasible to do an unascended peak.(Except a few weeks ago, when I did Sgurr nan Gillean again, but I soloed the pinnacle ridge, which I've wanted to do for a long time).

Most of mine have been in autumn/winter, and not uncommonly in poor conditions. Also most done solo.

Last two that I did were the two remote munros overlooking the Tarf water.

Andy Gamisou 04 Oct 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> ... 46 years 5 months 20 days at the time of posting for 23 routes (most ticked routes on UKC.)

I've got individual routes I've been working on nearly that long!  Good effort on getting there eventually.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...