Competition climbing and carbon emissions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Given that comp climbers are having their carbon emissions calculated on other UKC threads at the moment, got me thinking about the future of comps. 

Speed climbing is already conducted on standard holds, standard spacing, standard angle, so competitors could easily Skype this in. If, like me you wander away from the main square in Chamonix for a beer during the speed comp, then there’s the handy opportunity to block that feed. Win-win!

For the bouldering comp, standard Moon boards with a standard competition set of holds. The leds light up for the current problem, minimal setup. These boards are all over the world, so Skype it in. Big  advantage is that comp returns to being about climbing rather than jumping about. Win-win!

Extend the Moon board concept to lead boards. Standard angle, spacing, comp hold and volume set, leds.

I think something like this was run for bouldering in 2017 and actually worked ok. It meant that you could compete on your home/gym board during the comp if you have the comp set. 

There even might be an episode of Black Mirror about it one day

88Dan 22 Apr 2019
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Where are the emissions and the calculations then?

In reply to 88Dan:

> Where are the emissions and the calculations then?

In other threads

In reply to 88Dan:

Oh go on then...,

you could start with the Caff thread. R0x0x0Wolfo does a calc. 

I’m not sure calcs and facts are relevant to this, as the thread kicked off with no numbers. My guess is that zeitgeist is probably more important.

paul

Kemics 22 Apr 2019

There problem with all this carbon emissions minutia is that it's middle class naval gazing. Im not saying fundamentally changing our lifestyles isnt important but that has to be part of global paradigm change. There's a billion people in china and a billion in india. Flights create carbon but it's drop in the ocean

88Dan 22 Apr 2019

I wasn't being funny mate, I am wondering where the carbon emissions come from with indoor bouldering/climbing competitions. unless you mean from the competitors flying all over the world to compete in which case I can understand that. three people I used to work with sold their cars to lower their carbon footprint. but thought nothing about flying all over the world for meetings and training courses.

In reply to 88Dan:

Yes, this was about climbers on the international circuit. I think that sponsored climbers have a tricky time ahead. On the one hand they need to overwhelm Instagram with their activities travelling the world covered in logos or tags, and on the other there is a rising tide of opinion which says ‘hold on, we can’t go on like this’.

Maybe Red Bull will have to plant a forest to offset their ambassadors in the future? Maybe this isn’t a bad thing?

duchessofmalfi 23 Apr 2019

Just wait for next weekend and the massed hoards going for the BRYCS finals...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...