Club huts and Covid 19

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 3B48 19 Mar 2020

Following the BMC guidance notes as of 18th March, I would like to ask which clubs have closed their huts?

I’m aware that the Climbers Club, FRCC have done so and Glen Brittle.

Are there more?

The BMC page asks that clubs update them if they close so that they get an overall picture but the feedback loop may not be expedient enough given the fast changing nature of decisions on the ground.

This forum appears to offer faster exchanges of information.

There is a thread on here listing indoor walls that have closed. 
Could I ask that club hut closures are posted on here?

I am a club hut bookings secretary and given the conflicting and non decisive directives that are being given by central govt, it’s difficult to determine how we stand with our hut. My guess is that other clubs are pondering similar dilemmas.

Thoughts, information and feedback welcome.

J1234 19 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

Robertson Lamb is closed.

kevin stephens 19 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

The government is advising against unnecessary social gatherings and unnecessary journeys in order to help reduce the spread of the epidemic. This is why clubs (including my own) have blocked hut usage

vagabond and Fylde clubs’ huts closed

Post edited at 22:04
 ebdon 19 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

I believe the Midlands Association of Mountainers ones are closed

deepsoup 19 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

JMCS have closed the Coruisk Memorial Hut until further notice.

OP 3B48 19 Mar 2020
In reply to kevin stephens:

That’s my thoughts too. This is a fast changing situation and it takes a while to digest its implications. That’s part of the reason I’m putting this post out.

Clubs may be in a dilemma right now and be looking for additional guidance / advice given a level of indecisiveness at national level.

Bob Aitken 19 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

All SMC huts are now closed.

FactorXXX 19 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

> Clubs may be in a dilemma right now and be looking for additional guidance / advice given a level of indecisiveness at national level.

I would suggest that the indecisiveness is with the individual clubs as the decision is patently obvious. 

OP 3B48 19 Mar 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

I agree, but within clubs decisions are made across members / committees and not everyone is up to the same speed in digesting this information, however regrettable that may seem.

What I’m looking for in this thread is a list of club hut closures in the hope that, given the lack of directives, that information about club hut closures serve to advise and inform.

Albert Tatlock 19 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

The Lancashire MC have closed both its huts, Lakes & N Wales.

HardenClimber 20 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

Our caving club (Craven Pothole Club) has closed its hut and cottage. I know other clubs are about to do similar.

Just get on with it. Quick online discussion by committee of just officers. Give a deadline and lack of reply is support for closure.

What we do now will affect wether there is an icu bed available in 2-3weeks time.

MG 20 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

AC hut shut

rj_townsend 20 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

Bryn Hafod, owned by The Mountain Club, Stafford is closed.

In reply to 3B48:

As well as CPC's Cottages (noted above) I know for certain that the BPC - Bradford Pothole Club's 'Dump' in the Dales, TSG's 'Chapel' in Castleton, and GSG's Centre in Elphin are all closed

(Caving Clubs)

cathsullivan 20 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

Pinnacle Club hut also closed.

El Greyo 20 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

Oxford Mountaineering Club hut, Cefn Garw, closed.

JohnO1978 20 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

Merseyside and Wayfarers RLH both shut

Simon Caldwell 20 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

The Cleveland MC hut is closed to non-members but currently staying open for members (according to an announcement on their fb page).

datoon 20 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

As stated before, the Lancashire Mountaineering Club closed our huts as of Wednesday this week, to future bookings and members.  Until further notice.  We've also cancelled all meets.  

IMHO, you'd probably have to be cleaning the hut after each stay just to prevent any possible spread of infection, which seems unmanageable.  Also for us the people who would be doing this, are likely to be in the at risk category (over 70).

spenser 20 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

Oread has closed Heathy Lea and Tan Yr Wyddfa.

Rucksack Club have closed their huts.

I believe the Climbers' Club website should have a list of closed Reciprocal Rights huts under the reciprocal rights section but I can't seem to access the website on this computer.

EdS 20 Mar 2020
In reply to HardenClimber:

so has the BPC

Simon Caldwell 20 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

Sounds fairly safe to assume that they are all closed!

oldie 20 Mar 2020
In reply to datoon:

> IMHO, you'd probably have to be cleaning the hut after each stay just to prevent any possible spread of infection, which seems unmanageable.  Also for us the people who would be doing this, are likely to be in the at risk category (over 70). <

Totally agree huts should be closed as club meets involve lots of potential carriers travelling from different locations.

However not sure about the necessity for a clean down after a  weekend stay however (anyway not all visitors would do a good job). Perhaps in theory the hut might be safe by the next weekend or next but but one. I believe the virions become inactive after a certain time. I heard 72 hours somewhere recently, but previously 7 and 9 day figures were given. Anyone know the the current thinking?

OP 3B48 20 Mar 2020
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Yes I think so.

Government directive today also makes things much more solid.

OP 3B48 20 Mar 2020
In reply to datoon:

Yes, there would be no guarantee about the depth of cleaning after each stay and may require cleaning visits, which as you say, many clubs wouldn’t have the capacity to do. It’s often enough of a worry that ‘normal’ cleaning levels are practiced between bookings!

Darron 20 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

Can we summarise by saying no club should be organising hut meets for the foreseeable.

In reply to Darron:

No meets.

No communal use of huts unless emergency / repurposed.

OP 3B48 20 Mar 2020
In reply to HardenClimber:

Re-purposing was going to be my next suggestion.

Any thoughts about the how’s, potential of their huts in their own particular circumstances and opportunities would be worthwhile to put on the table.

Plus any insurance limitations and how they might be overcome to serve a community purpose.

Misha 21 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

A community purpose would presumably involve groups of people.

It’s a good opportunity to do hut maintenance, particularly any large jobs which would otherwise require hut closure. The local contractors would be very happy to get the work, I suspect.

In reply to 3B48:

The assumption should be that they're all shut, and you shouldn't be contemplating an activity that will require unnecessary social contact.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't get out, but that you shouldn't come into close contact with other people.

OP 3B48 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Misha:

I was thinking more of offering our hut to family members who live locally in the village as an option to family isolate, if they have to.

Other clubs may have other options if they have a large property and / or are in an isolated location to offer themselves as a community resource.

Misha 21 Mar 2020
In reply to 3B48:

Could work in theory, as you say potential insurance implications and let’s just say that some huts are nicer than others!

OP 3B48 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Misha:

Yep I’m not sure about how we’d go about this atm, good intentions are one thing but there could be red tape.

where there’s a will, there may be a way, so it may be worth exploring at least? 
I’ll give it a go and see what comes back 🙂

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...