Climbing North Cyprus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mik82 25 Oct 2019

I'm on a family (non climbing) holiday next week in Kyrenia, North Cyprus

I've found there's climbing there - I have emailed a guide that I found on searching, but haven't had a response.

Has anyone climbed there?

markfairbank 26 Oct 2019
In reply to mik82:

Garga Suyu

I climbed here last year, which is a great crag. I think the best we did for a guidebook was a topo on my phone, but muddled through ok. Seem to remember there were some good strong lines to follow.

Derek Furze 26 Oct 2019
In reply to mik82:

I climbed in various places in northern Cyprus in 1974 - all done with no information as guidebooks didn't exist and whatever scene had existed had disappeared following the hostilities.  I found one peg in several trips, so I wasn't the first.  Had a lot of fun, but the green line became more difficult to cross (despite diplomatic plates), so my explorations were relatively short-lived.  

Andy Gamisou 26 Oct 2019
In reply to mik82:

> Has anyone climbed there?

Yes.  What do you want to know?  Most I the crags are listed in the UKC database, if that helps.

Andy Gamisou 26 Oct 2019
In reply to mik82:

> Has anyone climbed there?

Yes.  What do you want to know?  Most of the crags are listed in the UKC database, if that helps.

Post edited at 19:39
Andy Gamisou 26 Oct 2019
In reply to Derek Furze:

> I climbed in various places in northern Cyprus in 1974 - all done with no information as guidebooks didn't exist 

Still don't! (guidebooks, that is)

Post edited at 19:41
 Si Witcher 26 Oct 2019
In reply to mik82:

we climbed at garga suyu a few years ago and had a great week. Carter Mandrik would be another useful contact as an active climber there. He’s on facebook.

Derek Furze 26 Oct 2019
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

Give it another 45 years perhaps?

> Still don't! (guidebooks, that is)

James Raitt 26 Oct 2019
In reply to Derek Furze:

I climbed at Garga  Suyu Loads when I lived in Cyprus a couple of years ago. The UKC database is all you need. 

g1m147 27 Oct 2019
In reply to mik82:

http://www.cyprusrocks.eu/index.php?content=best_times.html

Have you had a look on here? Quite good crags section.

Gary.

Post edited at 16:43
 helin 27 Oct 2019
In reply to mik82:

Hi if you go into Cyprus Outdoor Shop and speak to Mustafa Konca I'm sure he'll be able to arrange something. It's in Kyrenia.

Garga Suyu could be a good choice if you just want to turn up on your own and climb with people. 

Hope you get some climbing in, it's a lovely place to climb

Cheers Helen 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...