Climbing inspiration, supported by you - fed up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RD 06 Jun 2020

By now I think most people have decided to support or not - so why the popup every time I check out UKC or refresh my browser?

LeeWood 06 Jun 2020
In reply to RD:

Just in case you forgot ! I think paying is the way to go - and I promise to subscribe as soon as they give us emoticons !

toad 06 Jun 2020
In reply to RD:

No. I will get round to it at some point soon ish, it's a useful niggle 

Luke90 06 Jun 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

🙋‍♂️🧗‍♂️👍?

LeeWood 07 Jun 2020
In reply to RD:

Is there any added feature which you or others feel would tip the balance - into subscribing ?

OP RD 07 Jun 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

No. 

I'm not at all keen of topos on an App. I much prefer a real guide. 

There's not enough news to justify paying for it.

I regularly add route data and new crags - and I wouldn't wish to pay to do this.

If it costs too much to run the Web site I'm sure they could transfer the route database to the BMC and have the news on the Rockfax site.

jbrom 07 Jun 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

Pedant mode:

Emoticons have always been an option.

:-o

Possibly you're referring to emojis, which is what Luke90 has inserted into in his post?

Post edited at 09:46
 LeeWood 07 Jun 2020
In reply to RD:

> I regularly add route data and new crags - and I wouldn't wish to pay to do this.

Subscriber exemption for all those who act as moderator - or who have made significant contribution ?? 

LeeWood 07 Jun 2020
In reply to jbrom:

> Possibly you're referring to emojis, which is what Luke90 has inserted into in his post?

Give us a clue then - is it just copy and paste - from where / what ?

edit: I believe I've found them   👍 😋

Post edited at 10:13
 RM199 07 Jun 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

I like UKC (and Strava for that matter) and would probably be will to make one off fees to both for their use. However it’s the subscription model I have a real problem with. 

In our uncertain times I want as few fixed outgoings coming out of my account as possible. (I’m self employed). I really hate the idea of monthly fees for things. Yes I have a mortgage, and phone bill and utilities, but everything else I pay for only if I can afford it in one go. (Car, insurance, no streaming services etc.)

this kind of idea just ties you in with no chance of escape and UKC and Strava are the thin end of the wedge to me...

Michael Gordon 07 Jun 2020
In reply to RD:

I agree. It's annoying.

Alkis 07 Jun 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

If you are on Windows 10, left Windows key and . or ; will open the emoji keyboard. Emoji is part of the Unicode standard, it's the same as any text, a forum doesn't need to support it (provided text is stored as UTF8 on the backend), the browser does.

LeeWood 07 Jun 2020
In reply to RM199:

I know what you mean. On our bank accounts there are now so many monthly debits for insurance, electricity, social insurance, water supply, amongst many others - - can't keep track or verify them.

Insurance is esp bad because they hike the premiums every year and as you see monthly part payments it hides the reality - too easy to forget what they're doing.

In reply to RD:

> By now I think most people have decided to support or not - so why the popup every time I check out UKC or refresh my browser?

Hi Richard.

It should only pop-up once a day. If you find it popping up each time you refresh your browser then that is likely to be a bug of some sort and we can look at that.

Alan

In reply to RM199:

> In our uncertain times I want as few fixed outgoings coming out of my account as possible. (I’m self employed). I really hate the idea of monthly fees for things. Yes I have a mortgage, and phone bill and utilities, but everything else I pay for only if I can afford it in one go. (Car, insurance, no streaming services etc.)

We do appreciate this and we are considering making it an option to make it non-recurring as you set it up. In the meantime, you can easily just start the subscription and then cancel it straight away in your Supporter Account (top right).

Alan

climbingpixie 07 Jun 2020
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

It does the same for me. I'm using Firefox, if that helps you when you're looking into it.

In reply to climbingpixie:

> It does the same for me. I'm using Firefox, if that helps you when you're looking into it.

So every time you refresh the banner pops up? On every page?

Are you Mac or PC?

Thanks
Alan

climbingpixie 07 Jun 2020

No, it doesn't do it every time but more than once a day. Enough to be noticeable but not enough for me to moan about it (until I saw your post that it shouldn't be happening). Only on the main forums page (I think) but tbh that's probably the main place I'd hit refresh. My other half says it does the same for him - we're both on a PC and Firefox.

Jonathan Emett 07 Jun 2020

On android Firefox it was popping up every time I hit 'back' from a thread to go to the list of threads.

I've now subscribed so it's not happening any more...

Post edited at 16:16
In reply to climbingpixie:

I've added some more checks in the code to hopefully combat the issue of seeing the banner more than once a day. So let me know if you click the X and then see the banner again within 24 hours

OP RD 11 Jun 2020

hi

thats much better. it was just getting in the way.

cheers

richard

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...