Climbing clubs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hey sorry to bother you all again. 

Do any of you know any scrambling or climbing clubs what would take me im 14 almost 15 and have done some scrambles about 8 .

The trouble is I want to do more harder scrambles and get into rock climbing but the person I scramble with is my dad and he doesn't want to do anything harder  he is more of a walker .

Also I live in England far away from Wales but I can go almost every other week 

So do any of you have any suggestions also I can't afford rope equipment or a course so it's kind of hard for me

Luke90 27 May 2021
In reply to Cneifion Arête:

I think most or all climbing clubs wouldn't want the responsibility of taking under-18s. Maybe a particularly active and outdoorsy Scout group would be worth a look. Or trying to persuade a teacher at your school to run a club or some trips.

Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 27 May 2021

Your best bet would probably be to do a climbing course at an indoor wall. That would improve your climbing skills and you would meet other people  who may well be going out into the hills. 

Ceiriog Chris 27 May 2021

Like Luke says, try the scouts, they introduced me to climbing many years ago

In reply to Ceiriog Chris:

There isn't a scouts by me though 

Philip 27 May 2021

At your age Scouts is run at district level, you need to look for Explorer scout units nearby.

Alternatively are there any walls near you that run NICAS scheme.

Mark Kemball 27 May 2021

As others have said, your local wall is probably a good place to start. Whereabouts do you live? The UKC hive mind could probably recommend the best wall near you. 

The BMC organise youth meets see e.g. https://www.thebmc.co.uk/bmc-north-wales-youth-meet-2020?_ga=2.24231225.207... Once the pandemic is over, these should be starting up again. I've helped out on a couple, they are great fun and worthwhile, ideal for anyone who's climbed indoors and wants to look at climbing outside.

Good luck!

J1234 28 May 2021

Try the Lancashire Mountaineering Club, they have a total no barriers policy to membership, no idea how this will apply to you in practice, but worth a go.
https://lancsmc.org/lmc/membership/

wilkesley 28 May 2021

Unfortunately, most clubs won't take people under 18 because of all the safeguarding and insurance guff. Many years ago I used to climb regularly with one 16 year old who would happily lead 4c at Tremadoc and a different 16 years old with whom I did several gullies on the Ben in winter.

Post edited at 11:24
In reply to J1234:

I had a look and is it based in the alps?

Because I live in England and as a brooke teenager I can't really afford to go the alps , but thank you I will contact them?

Sean Kelly 28 May 2021

Someone's geography is way off here. The BMC have a Youth Officer who I am sure will point you in the right direction. Also as has been mentioned, the local climbing wall most likely have a Youth Group. That is the way to go until you are 18. If you then consider University there will certainly be climbing groups there. The problem with clubs is that they generally have an older membership profile.  Some like the Climber's Club average out around the 60+ mark. I've nothing against younger membership as clubs will stagnate and decline if they don't attract a younger profile such as(18-35 age spread).

I also started like you as a raw 13 year old wanting to get out into the hills to scramble and climb. I  just found  friends with similar ambitions and off we went, hitching or cycling everywhere, sleeping in barns or similar. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Be persistent. I'm sure you will get something sorted. Good luck!

J1234 28 May 2021

I think you need to work on Geography youth if you think Lancashire is in the Alps.

I would speak with the LMC, I suspect if your Dad joined with you they could help, and they are keen walkers so your Dad may get something out of it. I am not a member but I know some of them and I think they may help.

wercat 28 May 2021
In reply to J1234:

aye, back 15 billion years ago Lancashire and the Alps one and the same place

Lankyman 28 May 2021
In reply to wercat:

> aye, back 15 billion years ago Lancashire and the Alps one and the same place

I think that far back Lancashire was pretty much at the centre of the universe. It's still pretty close.

Darron 28 May 2021

I got into it via Scouts and the local climbing club (a member of which I still am 46 yrs later). Even I would say get down your local wall!

Most on here would envy you: all those experiences, all those routes, all those new friends. All there to discover. Go for it. Good luck.

Bob Kemp 29 May 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

As there’s supposed to be a massive black hole at the centre of the universe Im not sure that this is the best way to think about Lancashire. 

Lankyman 30 May 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> As there’s supposed to be a massive black hole at the centre of the universe Im not sure that this is the best way to think about Lancashire. 

15 billion years ago everything erupted violently outward from a singularity in the Big Bang. This was most likely caused by Yorkshire atoms getting on every other atom's tits. Lancashire atoms eventually cooled down to coalesce with the finest black puddings, beer, cheese and sense of humour.

wercat 30 May 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Before the atoms there was something called the QGP - the Queer Gluon Pudding

(Queer as nowt as queer as folk)

Post edited at 09:40

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...