Climbing after lockdown

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tinytommy 16 May 2020

Hi all, 
Relatively newbie climber here, was keen to get out from the gym to the rock before all this virus kicked off, anyway went to the cuttings today and saw a lot of names carved into the rock.
Is it still ok to carve your name and date into the rock because I think it’s really nice to see stuff from years ago and look back maybe go down there with your kids and talk about the good old times

thoughts?

J Whittaker 16 May 2020
In reply to tinytommy:

> Hi all, 

> Relatively newbie climber here, was keen to get out from the gym to the rock before all this virus kicked off, anyway went to the cuttings today and saw a lot of names carved into the rock.

> Is it still ok to carve your name and date into the rock because I think it’s really nice to see stuff from years ago and look back maybe go down there with your kids and talk about the good old times

> thoughts?

Nah mate, we stopped doing that a while back to preserve our climbing venues, and because theres alot of traffic nowadays we would have to keep adding new rocks for all the new names.

Instead, the best thing to do is scratch the names of the climbs and dates in to your arm with a compass (if you use a bit of bic biro ink on the compass tip it works better too). That way you can still relive the climbs with your kids in the future. If you do quite a lot of climbing and get a big list you will probably need to get your partner to scratch them onto your back for you.

Happy climbing.

Post edited at 17:50
In reply to tinytommy:

> Is it still ok to carve your name and date into the rock because I think it’s really nice to see stuff from years ago and look back maybe go down there with your kids and talk about the good old times

Vandalising the rock at crags is not acceptable, no. 

Cyrees 16 May 2020
In reply to tinytommy:

Also the access rep has requested people avoid Portland for now, so maybe do that

Tom Valentine 16 May 2020
In reply to Harrison_Connie:

Unless you are the Poet Laureate.

In reply to tinytommy:

If this is real and not a troll, the answer is a resounding 'No... Never'..

FactorXXX 17 May 2020
In reply to GripsterMoustache:

> If this is real and not a troll, the answer is a resounding 'No... Never'..

Not sure what's worse with regards to human intelligence.
Someone trying to set up an exceptionally poor and obvious troll. 
Or, the people that bite... 

The Lemming 17 May 2020
In reply to tinytommy:

> thoughts?

I think the sky is blue and the sea is green.

profitofdoom 17 May 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Not sure what's worse with regards to human intelligence. > Someone trying to set up an exceptionally poor and obvious troll

Thanks, and I see what you mean. But troll, or not, is not the point to me.... the point to me is that the OP knew the answer to his question ("Is it still ok to carve your name and date into the rock") perfectly well. He is wasting everyone's time and energy

The Lemming 17 May 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

He could record the year of Covid for posterity.

Tom Valentine 17 May 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

..or the people who spend time and effort criticising the biters....

And, troll or not, he has a superbly eclectic and comprehensive wish list.

The very best of luck with that lot, Tiny Tommy.

Post edited at 09:30
 olddirtydoggy 17 May 2020
In reply to tinytommy:

Interesting thing is were were up at Grinnah Stones, Crow Stones and some of the other remote outcrops of rock on the Derwent edges this week and on many areas we found '1975' carved into the rock. Must have been the same person who did them all. Old carvings can have some interest on places like Stanage pole base stones but on edges and crags I think you'll find the answer is no. Put it this way, would you chisel your tag into the rock in front of passing hikers? I doubt it.

Derry 18 May 2020

> Thanks, and I see what you mean. But troll, or not, is not the point to me.... the point to me is that the OP knew the answer to his question ("Is it still ok to carve your name and date into the rock") perfectly well. He is wasting everyone's time and energy

^^^ Generally what trolling is all about 

Chris_Mellor 18 May 2020
In reply to tinytommy:

Tinytommy's tip-top trolling?

OP tinytommy 18 May 2020

Hi profit of doom, 

do you think it would be a good idea for me to rub my carvings off the southern sandstone crags I’ve already been to? 

thanks

OP tinytommy 18 May 2020
In reply to J Whittaker:

Hi j Whittaker,

I don’t think it’s a good idea to advocate self harming on a climbing forum, but I guess it shows the kinda person you are

thanks

J Whittaker 18 May 2020
In reply to tinytommy:

> Hi j Whittaker,

> I don’t think it’s a good idea to advocate self harming on a climbing forum, but I guess it shows the kinda person you are

> thanks

Yes sure, whatever fella.

Clearly i'm taking the p!ss here as your post is either:

a) a troll - in which case you should appreciate my reply or

b) you are an absolute moron.

Given your response, i now suspect b.

Also, tattooing yourself with a compass isn't self harm - but it will look crap.

Post edited at 17:36

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...