Chee tor clean up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ldh 10 May 2022

So today I’ve removed the hanging tree that was waiting to fall from the belay of two sunspots e2 . 
plus changed the top belay on mortlocks arête with new static rope and ring. Also new biners on rave on which where really bad Plus loads of replacing old tat on the following routes 

midnight summer 

mortlocks arête 

the golden mile 

kristian Global Crag Moderator 10 May 2022
In reply to Ldh:

Good stuff. Did the tree land point down and embed itself. It's been hanging there a few years now. 

If anyone needs some static rope and stainless steel mallion and rings just ask and I'll get them from the bolt fund. That also goes for bolt lower offs elsewhere in the dale where Ash trees are/were used. The land owners would prefer discreet bolted lower offs than the crag tops being disturbed.

ebdon 10 May 2022
In reply to Ldh:

Amazing, nice one, how easy did the tree come down in the end? It's been rather an aboreal damoclean feature for the last few years.

Post edited at 18:59
 ebdon 10 May 2022
In reply to kristian:

Does this extend to chee tor? Obviously this would need to be agreed but I always thought many of these routes would be better with bolted lower offs as it would both protect the vegetation at the top and help keep the routes clean from the inevitable showers of pine needles when scrambling to the trees (always demoralising after cleaning a route)

kristian Global Crag Moderator 10 May 2022
In reply to ebdon:

Yes Chee Tor too but on a case by case basis. I'm not that familiar with trad climbing on Chee Tor and wouldn't want bolted lower offs to take something away from the experience where alternatives can be found that won't upset the fauna on the top.

Simon King 11 May 2022
In reply to Ldh:

Brilliant, well done. First reported that years ago as I didn't have the skills to sort it out!

OP Ldh 11 May 2022
In reply to Ldh:

it didn’t take much really about 10 pushes I wouldn’t fancy being underneath it when it came down ! 
the mortlocks / apocalypse belay was in a bad state for such two good routes almost as bad as the tree of doom . 

RogerG 11 May 2022
In reply to Ldh:

brilliant Ldh, thank you

Fluedust50 12 May 2022
In reply to Ldh:

Yes. Well done. Unfortunately these routes are too hard for me. Something to aspire too.
I hope to get there soon. Does anyone know what conditions are like ? Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...