Cheddar Caves have closed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hms 20 Sep 2020

just saw this on the BBC. Wonder what it means for access to the gorge? Could have a catastrophic effect on the local economy which appears to rely heavily on the tourist pound.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-54225770

ianstevens 20 Sep 2020
In reply to hms:

All because that guy climbed Coronation Street out of season, who would have thought the implications would go so far?

/joke

This is shit for them and the area, and potentially shit for climbers too.

Donotello 20 Sep 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

Why would it be shit for climbers? Less tourists, less cars, less people. Cheddar gorge And caves is first and foremost focussed on its paying customers, with those out the way and no one left on the payroll in the gorge then surely it would be more relaxed for climbers and non-paying visitors who have always been secondary. 

ianstevens 20 Sep 2020
In reply to Donotello:

Are they not who the access agreement is negotiated with? New owners could well mean new access arrangements, or at the very least arrangements up in the air. 

badgerjockey 20 Sep 2020
In reply to hms:

Excellent. Partners for Coronation Street wanted. Can make tomorrow afternoon. 

ianstevens 20 Sep 2020
In reply to badgerjockey:

But who to phone to ask permission first?

bouldery bits 20 Sep 2020
In reply to hms:

What about the cheese?

FactorXXX 21 Sep 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

> Are they not who the access agreement is negotiated with? New owners could well mean new access arrangements, or at the very least arrangements up in the air. 

Or the local Council will take temporary control on access issues, etc. and just ban climbing as the easy option.

beardy mike 21 Sep 2020
In reply to hms: its highly unlikely that it will affect climbers. The land is owned by Longleet estates which has a fair bit of money. I guess theres no point in running the cave tours whilst making a loss though. As the article says, they intend to open again...

springfall2008 21 Sep 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Or the local Council will take temporary control on access issues, etc. and just ban climbing as the easy option.

I think the other attractions are still open.

Banning climbing just means business as usual with no restrictions on when you can clibm (climb and leave if asked to do so). Hence why a ban is generally counter productive for the land owner.

ianstevens 21 Sep 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Or the local Council will take temporary control on access issues, etc. and just ban climbing as the easy option.

This is what I meant by "up in the air". Regardless of the company going bust, I can't see the site itself remaining unused for long.

profitofdoom 21 Sep 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

> What about the cheese?

We just have to butter up the local council. They've been milking the situation for all it's worth and churning out letter after letter

PaulJepson 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Donotello:

The people who go to the caves in Cheddar do not detract from the pleasantness of the environment, and neither do the people there for a hike, or the people there getting an ice cream. It's a nice thing for people to do. I took my mam to Cheddar and we had a lovely day walking around the gorge, enjoying the audio-tour of the main cave and buying cheese, icecream, cider, fudge etc. 

Tourists and walkers are fine. Car Wankers are the problem. I'd argue that all recreational users of the gorge are on the same side as us, and that losing them makes it a darker place, not more relaxed at all. 

> Why would it be shit for climbers? Less tourists, less cars, less people. Cheddar gorge And caves is first and foremost focussed on its paying customers, with those out the way and no one left on the payroll in the gorge then surely it would be more relaxed for climbers and non-paying visitors who have always been secondary. 

jimtitt 21 Sep 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

Just wondering how you get "new owners" and "going bust" from a extremely well capitalised company shutting down a smallish part of their activities temporarily?

beardy mike 21 Sep 2020
In reply to jimtitt:

Exactly... Cheddar Caves and Gorge going bust = longleat house and safari going bust = not really...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...