Cheapest mountain holiday outside uk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hey what is the cheapest mountain holiday outside uk my budget is 500 Pound does anyone know anywhere 

bouldery bits 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Cneifion Arête:

Andorra 

In reply to bouldery bits:

Thank you I will look at it

So u think I could go to the Pyrenees for 500 pound including flights ?

Lankyman 04 Aug 2020

Scotland has many cheap mountains and may be outside the UK quite soon.

profitofdoom 04 Aug 2020

> Hey what is the cheapest mountain holiday outside uk my budget is 500 Pound does anyone know anywhere 

Carrauntoohil, County Kerry, Ireland

petegunn 04 Aug 2020

Picos maybe?

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Cneifion Arête

> So u think I could go to the Pyrenees for 500 pound including flights ?

We have flown from Manchester, East Midland and Stansted to Carcassonne - about an hour from the mountains - for less than £20 on a few occasions - no hold luggage mind,

Chris

Darron 04 Aug 2020

Morocco?

In reply to Darron:

The atlas ?

In reply to Chris Craggs:

Is aneto there 

In reply to petegunn:

I just had a look there was no flights 

In reply to Iamgregp:

Could I climb monte Rosa for 500 pound including flights ?

ebdon 04 Aug 2020

Drive to the alps and live in your car, apart from ferry and petrol its pretty much free.

Tom Valentine 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Chris Craggs:

It's a pity that Ryanair don't do Pau any more, though Tarbes/Lourdes is fairly handy for Ossau.

petegunn 04 Aug 2020

Ferry!?

Doug 04 Aug 2020

If you search these forums a little you'll find several posts by folk (mostly now getting on a bit) describing how they hitched to the Alps & back & then lived very cheaply once there (I may even have written one myself). Out of fashion but by far the cheapest.

PaulW 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Doug:

I used to hitch all over years ago.

Sadly in this new virus filled world I can't imagine any hitch hikers are getting picked up at all.

Doug 04 Aug 2020
In reply to PaulW:

I would have thought the same but I still see one or two here in the Alps, although I haven't stopped for someone I didn't know for a while (rural area with poor bus service).

john arran 04 Aug 2020
In reply to PaulW:

I see hitchhikers most days here in Ariège. I must admit to no longer being happy to pick them up, whereas before covid it seemed obvious to do so. They're still getting picked up quickly though, so not everyone is as cautious about it as me, apparently. Although to be fair, this is one of the least affected departments in the whole of France so risks are much smaller than in most other places.

tehmarks 04 Aug 2020

The getting there is the most expensive bit - but if I didn't drive, I reckon I could do a two week trip to mostly anywhere in Western Europe* for £500, without even really having to think about it. The expensive bit is often getting there - once you're there, camping is relatively cheap and food is cheap if you cook it yourself. You can get everything you need to camp and survive (plus a full rack, rope, axes and crampons - yes, from experience, but you won't be needing those anyway) within a 20kg hold bag and hand luggage if you fly. A trip for £500 is very doable.

(Obviously less cheap if you don't have everything you need to camp though - but if you're into mountains, camping gear will open up so many doors to you that it's well worth investing it)

* - because I have no experience of anywhere else, not because it's not possible!

In reply to tehmarks:

Btw I have no experience on the alps so I need a guide I was thinking of Mont Blanc Matterhorn or something like that 

tehmarks 04 Aug 2020

Your call – I don’t mean to patronise at all, but given your obvious enthusiasm you may find it more enjoyable learning the skills to operate in the hills and mountains self-sufficiently than being dragged up endless things by a guide. It takes a bit more commitment and a bit more time, but it's so much more satisfying standing on the top and knowing that you got there entirely under your own steam.

Maybe you're already considering that in the longer-term, but if not, I strongly encourage giving it some thought. Maybe take a course or two, take up rock climbing, find a benevolent experienced partner to take you out and learn from them, get out walking in winter, etc.

The journey is more important than the objective, to paraphrase the cliche.

Post edited at 23:32
 Vigier 05 Aug 2020

Consider a cheap EasyJet flight to Nice then get bus from the airport (1.50e for regular service or 6e for special walkers’ bus) to St Martin Vesubie. Free shuttle buses take you to the start of different walks in the Mercantour National Park. There is also great biking, a via Ferrara and France’s longest zip wire within a short distance.

Camp in village campsite. St Martin is pleasant ; it also has a brilliant centre with swimming pool, great climbing/ bouldering wall and an indoor canyoning facility ; it also has a small brewery!

Post edited at 09:10
 Doug 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Vigier:

There's also some very good rock climbing (eg on the Cayres de la Cougourde) on the hills above the town

Skip 05 Aug 2020

A few years ago I spent a week in Morocco, inc about 5 days in the High Atlas, climbing Mount Toubkal and a few snow gullies etc.

In country costs - £150 - food, accommodation, taxis etc

jkarran 05 Aug 2020

Not sure how the current situation has changed things but I hear Austria in summer is very reasonable for a civilised hotel/campsite based holiday that happens to be in mountains.

Right now the mix of insurance validity vs FCO travel advice, available crossings and quarantine impositions probably distort your choices significantly.

jk

GrahamD 05 Aug 2020

If you want guided, then the budget you have for travel, accommodation,  insurance etc. Is closer to £200

bouldery bits 05 Aug 2020

> Btw I have no experience on the alps so I need a guide I was thinking of Mont Blanc Matterhorn or something like that 

First you want the cheapest Mountain Holiday in Europe. Now you want guiding up the Matterhorn. Make your mind up!

aostaman 05 Aug 2020

I think that would be a push. That's Turin airport (maybe Milan) plus gear and local transport. See links to the camping and rifugios. Aosta is rammed, (actually it always is in August) but the Italians are also staycationing as well. All rifugios need to be booked in advance and they are reduced in capacity. Camping will be the same. Camping outside sites and rifugios is officially not permitted. 

Monte Rosa is a honeypot like the Gran Paradiso. There are lots of alternatives for walking and scrambling, but be aware everywhere is very busy and will be til the end of August. 

https://www.lovevda.it/en/site-search?q=monte%20rosa

http://www.rifugimonterosa.it/en

1234None 05 Aug 2020
In reply to ebdon:

> Drive to the alps and live in your car, apart from ferry and petrol its pretty much free.

It's around 1500 miles minimum, so probably 200 quid petrol, 100 quid ferry and (unless you plan to take a couple of days avoiding toll roads on the journey) around 100 quid on tolls.  Add food, drink etc, and I'd say driving is a poor option.  A cheap flight then hitching or train, plus camping on a camping municipal, would probably be more efficient both in terms of time and money.

Hitch to the Alps then  bivy in the woods,  there was a french law going back to the Revolution, that stated if you were hungry you couldn't be prosecuted for stealing food.

Toerag 05 Aug 2020

Slovenia or Poland are probably the cheapest places within reasonable range once you're there.  What mountain stuff do you want to do though?

McHeath 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Toerag:

> What mountain stuff do you want to do though?

There's the rub. Judging from the OP's previous threads, anything above grade 1 scrambling's going to be dicey at best, especially if it's wet! 

AEitB - will you be going alone? Are you OK with mountain navigation in bad weather? 

Like Mceath says, what would you like to do? That will greatly dictate where you want to go.

Also, why outside of the UK, if budget is limited it may, although not always, be cheaper to look at N Wales /Scotland.

I feel bad about being slightly dismissive of your enthusiasm in the past, so here's a UKC article that you may find helpful, or at least interesting:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/destinations/a_guide_to_climbing_trips_...

In reply to McHeath:

I’m doing pinacle ridge with a guide cuz I’ve taken everyone advice and doing some guiding I want to be a mountain guide when I’m older 

Billhook 06 Aug 2020

> Btw I have no experience on the alps so I need a guide I was thinking of Mont Blanc Matterhorn or something like that 

How fit are you?  Its somewhat harder and longer than the ridge scrambles in the UK you say you've done.

Billhook 06 Aug 2020

> I’m doing pinacle ridge with a guide cuz I’ve taken everyone advice and doing some guiding I want to be a mountain guide when I’m older 

Who have you got to take you up ??

In reply to Billhook:

My fitness is awful 

In reply to Billhook:

Path to adventure 

In reply to OneBeardedWalker:

I’d like to do something like Matterhorn or Mont Blanc 

Good luck to you in fulfilling that ambition.

I hope that you have a wonderful time, who knows where something like that can take you in terms of your journey in life. 

Toerag 07 Aug 2020

> My fitness is awful

Best do something about that if you want to enjoy the mountains, they're invariably hard work!

Tom Valentine 07 Aug 2020

You don't seem all that clued up about what's required for an alpine ascent.

For this reason I would once again suggest a trip to the Pyrenees. 

If you have a bit of experience in UK hillwalking  and are able to read a map you could have an enjoyable week/ fortnight . There are lots of peaks between 2500 and 3000 m which typically consist of a valley approach and a summit ridge just clear of the vegetation line, some actually quite "sporting" and all doable in the day without the need to spend time and money in huts.

Ryanair will fly to you from Stansted to Tarbes for £30 each way, double that to add your luggage  A £10 bus ride from there will get you smack into the middle of the Pyrenees. 

I've spent the last twenty years exploring this beautiful range of mountains and haven't even got halfway across it yet.

In reply to Tom Valentine:

Do u recon I could climb aneto without a guide I’ve done grade 1s and 1 grade 2 and I’m decent at route finding not the best but not the worst 

webbo 09 Aug 2020

> Do u recon I could climb aneto without a guide I’ve done grade 1s and 1 grade 2 and I’m decent at route finding not the best but not the worst 

I amazed that you can even climb out of bed.

In reply to webbo:

Yo g what u tryna say

Post edited at 22:40
 Trangia 10 Aug 2020

> Could I climb monte Rosa for 500 pound including flights ?

Unlikely, and certainly not if you hire a guide. I wouldn't recommend your moving about on high Alpine peaks without a guide with your limited experience.

In reply to Trangia:

Hmm is monte Rosa harder than mont blanc

Trangia 10 Aug 2020

Depends on the route(s) but it's a similar height to within a few hundred feet. The objective dangers are still there, particularly crevasses, rock fall, avalanches. I'ts over 50 years since I climbed the Dufoursptize summit from the old Betamps hut. Although technically easy, there is no way I would have crossed the glaciers unroped and without experienced companions.. The ridge up from the col to the summit was a mixture of snow, ice and rock. Nothing very serious but much of the rock was snow covered. It could have changed a lot in the last half century, so you need to talk to someone who has done it more recently

Post edited at 18:43
In reply to Trangia:

So you need ropes for aneto 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...