butchered trees at gardoms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 admackie 23 Apr 2019

Any one want to put there hand up and explain why they felled 20 odd tree's around apple arete at gardoms? Seems like such a shame at what is a beautiful natural crag.  I get that areas of gardoms are sheltered and a bit green but apple arete has to be the cleanest and driest area on the whole crag and in no way green.  As if to add insult to injury they've done such a poor job with meter high stumps all over the place.

Shame

In reply to admackie:

This was raised - and condemned - at the BMC Peak Area Meeting; however, despite extensive enquiries we're yet to track down whoever did it.

It is - as you say - a shoddy job, with metre high stumps, detritus left lying around, and one tree (from what I gather) left precariously overhanging one section of the crag. All-in-all this caused us to question whether or not it was indeed a climber that had undertaken the work, but if it was they've certainly kept quiet because no one in the local area seems to have heard anything about it.

Chatsworth have subsequently put up a sign requesting that no further trees be felled, which I would like to think goes without saying, but if you're reading this and you felled the trees please don't fell any more!!

As you say, it really is a crying shame...

Post edited at 14:45
 Mark1 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Not pointing any fingers but this chap has had a few run in's with the caving community  and his felling fits the bill      youtube.com/watch?v=3HB1RQOWvRY&

Post edited at 20:26

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...