Brad Gobright RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MischaHY 28 Nov 2019
In reply to John Kelly:

Nothing dramatic about it either. No knots in the end. 'Chico seems to be a hotspot for this kind of accident. What a waste. 

Lankyman 28 Nov 2019
In reply to John Kelly:

A real shame. We just watched him last Saturday featured in the Honnold/Caldwell Reel Rock film about speed climbing The Nose on El Cap. He and his friend played up the slightly nerdy 'dirtbag' unknowns side of things whereas the Rock and Ice article shows that he was actually a highly talented and rated climber.

If people want to discuss the merits of tying knots in ab ropes then please can we do that on a separate thread.

Can we keep this thread as somewhere to be respectful to Brad and his family and friends.

Thanks

Alan

In reply to John Kelly:

Shall we keep the speculation and criticism off this thread. It will be highly upsetting for family or friends of Brad if they read this at some stage. Knots/no knot discussion is important but for a seperate thread in my opinion. (Edit. Thanks Alan)

I'll remember Brad fondly, for his commited, passionate approach to climbing. His endless hilaroius Lodge rants moaning about valley tourists and the Nose cluster f*cks.

Understated and underated he was completely dedicated to climbing and would pretty much go to any lenghs doing any job to keep living his way and pursuing his goals for the short period we are given in this life. 

Post edited at 09:00
 yoshi.h 28 Nov 2019
In reply to John Kelly:

Damn. So sad to find out about this. Loved watching him climb. He embodied the true rock and roll spirit and was a talented climber just starting to emerge in the limelight. Rest in peace.

In reply to John Kelly:

He was excellent in the latest Reel Rock, seemed so genuine and down to earth, and just stoked to be doing what he loved.

He will be missed, RIP.

Offwidth 28 Nov 2019
In reply to C coldwell-storry:

We ran out of time and bailed onto The Nose in 2017, with our last (11th) camp on the belay below the Great Roof. Early morning, Brad and Jim came up super fast from below, on one of their speed attempt practice runs. There was an unfortunate timing incident, as Lynn hadn't seen them and inadvertantly 'anointed' them. They brushed this off, with laughter, and shot up the pitch simul-climbing almost to where the crack tilted over, fire-cracking jokes all the way, without losing focus, and disappeared above. The most stylish climbing I'd ever seen. Brad spoke beautifully at Facelift the following week... such a bright light.

Post edited at 10:30
 GDes 28 Nov 2019

That's really sad news. He seemed like that rare character of somebody performing at an elite level, without taking himself particularly seriously, and the primary goal having a good time. 

Iamgregp 28 Nov 2019
In reply to John Kelly:

What awful and shocking news.  Saw him in the recent Reel Rock film and he seemed like a real personality, so full of life and so funny not to mention a hugely talented climber.

How awful for all his friends and family.

TradHolden 28 Nov 2019
In reply to John Kelly:

Really, really sad. What an absolute star. I didn't know the guy, but we have close mutual friends who are desolate right now. From all accounts he seems to have embodied so much of the best of climbers. Humble, slightly nerdy, funny, with feet firmly planted in reality; an absolute warrior on the rock, strong and technically brilliant, living the dirtbag dream and loving every day of it. I hope I can live half as much in my life as he did in his.

My thoughts and deepest sympathies are with his family and many friends around the world.

Baron Weasel 28 Nov 2019
In reply to TradHolden:

Agreed 

Rest in peace Brad x

In reply to John Kelly:

The BBC have described abseiling as "Climbers descend a rock face by using a doubled rope coiled around the body". I'd like to think Brad would have found that funny. RIP a climber that made El Cap look easy. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...