Bouldering or traversing Holmesfield / South Sheffield area?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nickcanute 14 Nov 2021

Any recommendations for venues south of Sheffield or Holmesfield area, suitable for traversing and bouldering? Now daylight is getting more limited, alternatives to driving into The Peak would be useful to know. Cheers!

OP nickcanute 15 Nov 2021
In reply to nickcanute:

Aware of just one venue.. Red and Black Crag, anyone been there?

Baz P 16 Nov 2021
In reply to nickcanute:

Viaducts or embankments are sometimes good. Perhaps in the Dronfield valley.

The Reaper 17 Nov 2021
In reply to nickcanute:

Would this suit?

Blackamoor Traverse Wall

TobyA 17 Nov 2021
In reply to The Reaper:

That's an odd one... is the map pin accurate? I MTB there pretty regularly - to ride down either Piper House Gate or Devils Elbow, but can't really see in my mind where a wall that looks that long and high can be? Is below (downhill) from the concessionary bridleway that goes parallel to the road from the car park?

robert-hutton 17 Nov 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Yes downhill to the second kissing gate from the car park, wall on your left, needs a bit of sun to dry the footholds.

Post edited at 16:22
 PaulJepson 17 Nov 2021
In reply to The Reaper:

Aren't you basically at Burbage by that point?

robert-hutton 17 Nov 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

> Aren't you basically at Burbage by that point?

Downhill towards Sheffield, moved the pin in map and it's almost correct now.

Post edited at 16:57
 PaulJepson 17 Nov 2021
In reply to robert-hutton:

Sorry I meant that as a reply to the suggested venue; if you were going that far out then you may as well go to Burbage. 

The Reaper 17 Nov 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

True, it's not somewhere you'd travel any significant distance for but if you are local and need a change from natural grit edges it serves a purpose. It is basically a long stamina traverse about 30 cm off the ground in a woodland setting, so a bit novel.

OP nickcanute 20 Nov 2021
In reply to The Reaper:

Cheers yes that's a new one i didnt know about.

matt gray 21 Nov 2021
In reply to nickcanute:

The embankment above the path between Smithy Wood Road and Chesterfield road is a pretty nice traverse. Nice spot for a quick climb on a sunny winter afternoon. 

OP nickcanute 27 Nov 2021
In reply to matt gray:

Cheers Matt, go there occasionally.. walking distance from my house. Have you seen the minion who lives in an alcove there (further right)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...