Bolts and corrosion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cobra_Head 26 Oct 2020
In reply to John Kelly:

Interesting stuff? Do we need to gel blots as well as our hands?

OP John Kelly 26 Oct 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

> Do we need to gel blots as well as our hands?

Definitely, it's probably the only way to slow the inextricable march of Desulfovibrio vulgaris 

Do you think we should alert the T cells?

Post edited at 19:38
Removed User 26 Oct 2020
In reply to John Kelly:

Nice report, I didn't read all of it but got the point.

You'd get a distinction if it were an MSc thesis.

OP John Kelly 26 Oct 2020
In reply to Removed User:

Climbing, steel alloys and environmental biology - what not to like

Post edited at 19:49
 George_Surf 27 Oct 2020
In reply to John Kelly:

That’s wild, I can’t even start to imagine it 

tjekel 27 Oct 2020
In reply to John Kelly:

This is interesting, however as an ill informed non-chemist may I get enlightened by crowd knowledge?

- 304 denotes the stainless steel quality, and if so, aren't we looking mainly at 316L currently?

- if sulfur is the main agent, processes are different in limestone? Just to know if this has relevance for my own bolt use. 

Sorry for my lack of school chemistry, and thanks for more information. 

spenser 27 Oct 2020
In reply to tjekel:

304 and 316L denote the particular alloy of stainless steel rather than the quality of the steel (a poor quality steel would have an irregular structure which you would need to try to achieve). Different alloys have slightly different properties, some are easier to cut, some are more resistant to certain types of corrosion, some will be magnetic, some will be very brittle while others can be drawn out into wires. The chemical compositions of the two can be seen below:

https://www.lenntech.com/stainless-steel-304.htm#:~:text=Type%20304%20stain....

https://www.thyssenkrupp-materials.co.uk/stainless-steel-314-14841.html

jimtitt 27 Oct 2020
In reply to tjekel:

I had a discussion with Dave about this on Mountain Project and as he says it's all running with a considerable time lag as the market is constantly changing but the bolts being researched are generally decades old.

You would struggle to buy a 304 wedge bolt in Europe nowadays for example as for the construction industry has been compulsory 316 for years. Also most manufacturers of glue-ins changed over to 316 ten or fifteen years ago.

Additionally there is a considerable difference between 316 and 316L but for ten years or so straight 316 has been effectively unavailable on the European market, it all comes dual certified nowadays.

jkarran 27 Oct 2020
In reply to John Kelly:

Very interesting, thanks for sharing it.

jk

tjekel 27 Oct 2020
In reply to jimtitt:

Thanks for the explanation. One thing still left, are the processes different between limestone and say granite / schist / gneiss? 

jimtitt 27 Oct 2020
In reply to tjekel:

Dave is the guy for that, I do metal not rock. Don't forget this is all provisional, it's a theory and not proven.

Post edited at 20:59

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...