BMC Gower Climbing Festival 2018

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SMcDowell 19 Aug 2018

The BMC Gower Climbing Festival is happening again this year, making it the 10th Year running! The Festival gives people a chance to check out the Gower peninsula in some of it's most beautiful spots, on the limestone cliffs and meet some old and perhaps make a few new friends! It's taking place between the 7th-9th September and just like previous years is based at Pitton Cross camping and caravan park.  

Come and join the BMC South Wales gang for fantastic trad and sport climbing, a Self-Rescue workshop, guaranteed low tides, discounted camping, relaxed DWS, a family friendly pub quiz (Monksland Pub, Scurlage), free kids outdoor taster session, a guest speaker - Baz Gray, who will be talking about his solo expedition across Antarctica! And most importantly of all, possibly the best free bacon and egg butties in South Wales.

More info available here: http://www.gowerclimbingfestival.co.uk/gcf/

and here: http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=3894

Calum M 20 Aug 2018
In reply to SMcDowell:

Are there going to be guidebook printouts available?

In reply to SMcDowell:

The bacon & egg butties do it for me.

TimSolway 20 Aug 2018
In reply to SMcDowell:

Is there going to be a 10 year anniversary birthday cake?

OP SMcDowell 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Calum M:

Yes there will be a selection of topos for popular areas around the Gower for visitors. Or you can always go ahead and buy one of the great guidebooks for Gower; Gower Rock (Pesda Press) or the Gower and South Wales Sport climb guide (Rockfax).

OP SMcDowell 20 Aug 2018
In reply to TimSolway:

That there is a great shout. I'll try my best :P

In reply to TimSolway:

A cake would be an excellent idea!

In reply to SMcDowell:

Any idea of the forecast?

thebeardsman 23 Aug 2018
In reply to SMcDowell:

Do you think this would be something that someone would be able to go on their own too? And then have the opportunity to pair up with a group or other singles to climb with? Or do you suggest that you should only go with someone.

It's that I would be traveling from Portsmouth for the weekend and don't want to go all the way there and then find that I wouldn't be able to climb at all.

I understand that no one can be totally sure of a pairing, but what I'm asking really is, is it the type of environment that it would be possible?

Lizard Ollie 23 Aug 2018
In reply to SMcDowell:

Will try and come along to this! Love the Gower climbing!

In reply to thebeardsman:

Hopefully Stu will be along in a bit to answer but I'd say it's quite possible from my previous experiences. You could try posting in the partners/lifts forum to see if anyone else is in a similar situation.

OP SMcDowell 24 Aug 2018
In reply to thebeardsman:

You should be able to find someone to climb with no bother! It's a pretty relaxed kind of occassion and groups tend to decide to go to a crag all together so I'm sure it'll be fine. If you come along to the self-rescue workshop too then I'm sure you'll be able to tag along with someone for the rest of the weekend.

I currently don't have anyone to climb with so if nobody else wants to climb then you can partner up with me!

OP SMcDowell 24 Aug 2018
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Isn't it always sunny on Gower?

Offwidth 24 Aug 2018
In reply to SMcDowell:

Send us photographs this Sunday to prove it.

In reply to Calum M:

Here are some updates not available in the recent Rockfax from the good folks of the South Wales wiki:

https://swcw.org.uk/wiki/File:South_Wales_Climbing_Wiki_Gower_New_Developme...

In reply to SMcDowell:

It's never rained in all the time I've been going down there. It must be Welsh witchcraft.

thebeardsman 04 Sep 2018
In reply to Frank the Husky, SMcDowell:

Thanks you for the info. Much appreciated

Offwidth 10 Sep 2018
In reply to SMcDowell:

Cheers all: great event. Plenty of climbing on all 3 days despite the horrendous forecast, so maybe Frank is right: that the weather is a bit charmed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...